main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Practical Effects in the Prequels- Sets, Pictures, Models, etc.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014

THATS NOT TRUE, THAT's IMPOSSIBE!!!!:luke:

Andy Wylde and mes520 like this.
  2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Yeah that's already been shown here. So much for Lucasfilm pretending the PT was all CGI.

3. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I think a lot of us would just like them to acknowledge that on the TFA panels where so much of the talk is about the "return of practical effects." The practical effects never went away. Putting it in Star Wars insider or on the website is one thing, but the major media outlets that reach the general audience only hear about the "return of practical effects", and then use that to turn around and bash the PT as nothing but CGI fest to the joe schmoes reading their click bait articles.

4. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Unfortunately there's no avoiding that. Regardless of the marketing the volume of CGI in the PT is a long held criticism. When TFA is released if it's received well that's one thing you'll probably be reading in nearly every review. "The movie doesn't look like a cartoon", "the acting is more convincing", "no cringe-worthy dialogue" etc etc. Better strap ourselves in bcs if TFA is well reviewed it's going to be a PT bashfest across the entertainment media. Perhaps that's why a few PT fans are hoping it won't be a good film that's well received.

Strongbow and thejeditraitor like this.
  5. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    It also may go down the ROTS route. When Epoisode 3 first came out it was praised by many, even by many of the PT haters who disliked 1 and 2 liked 3 at first. Then after a few years the nerd media turned on it saying how bad it is, or being the best of a bad series is still bad. I have a feeling TFA may follow this path being praised at first then lambasted later.

6. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    I'm convinced that's what's going to happen. Nerd culture is never satisfied for long. Hell, The Dark Knight Rises was praised upon its release, but the nerds have turned against that movie now, too (and the Nolan movies as a whole--I've seen so many who once praised Christian Bale's performance as Batman go on to then bash his Bat-voice).

Not me, though. Not me. :)

7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Sounds like you guys are setting up a little contingency plan. If TFA is widely praised you'll just be dismissing it as early buzz that will turn around in the future & see the film disliked. Nice bit of spin ;)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  8. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Even if TFA, isn't successful, it still probably be looked at more favorable than the pt, because Lucas didn't make it. Just about at any rate, it's a lose lose for pt fans, there is no contingency. You really seem to have a chip against the pt and it's fans.

9. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    Except that I'm looking forward to TFA and, based on the footage we have, I think J.J. knocked it out of the park. My belief that fans will first love it and then deride it is based more on every nerd franchise fan base than anything else.

Raimi's Spider-man movies were fine until they weren't.
    The SW prequels were fine in their individual releases until they weren't.
    Nolan's Batman movies were fine until they weren't.

It's just the way things are anymore with these franchises. Folks are happy with the results until they've watched the movie 8000 times and have picked it apart. It happened in the above examples, and it'll happen to the ST as well. Myself? I fully anticipate enjoying the ST. More Star Wars is only a good thing in my eyes.

10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Fair enough but there are plenty of examples of moves that are "fine & still are". You''ll always find a section of the internet that dislikes anything. Still the overall opinion of movies like TDK, The Matrix, TLOTR films etc is very positive.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    So the inside of his mask is practical? That's what their saying?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. JediMasterAang

JediMasterAang Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 12, 2015
    Yep. It's saying that that dude wanted to work on it personally.

Andy Wylde and B99 like this.
  14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  15. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    Meanwhile, Simon Pegg makes Star Trek Beyond: Bad Robot's other sci fi movie. It's gonna be great.
    [​IMG]

JimRaynor55, B99 and Slicer87 like this.
  16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [face_hypnotized]

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    That's Star Trek, they aren't worried about it feeling "real" or "tangible".....

SW Saga Fan, Andy Wylde and mes520 like this.
  18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    st3 probably will be good.

19. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    [​IMG]

So there going with the "Captain Solo" look more than the "Captain Kirk" look it seems.

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  20. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    They aren't worried about it feeling like "Star Trek" either.

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    JJ would never enjoy a holodeck. "Yeah it looks impressive but call me when you get some REAL holograms"

22. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Darth Downunder likes this.
  23. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    Why should I care what the actors thought about the sets?

By the way, posting Red Letter Moron videos in a Star Wars fan forum shows the same kind of poor taste as posting the ravings of Mark David Chapman in a Beatles fan forum. Nice going.

24. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I hope so. The first two were terrible.

25. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    Extra helpings of Nerd Rage.

Kitster_Lives, mes520 and Andy Wylde like this.