main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Practical Effects in the Prequels- Sets, Pictures, Models, etc.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Kitster_Lives

Kitster_Lives Jedi Padawan

Jul 16, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mind-blowing back in the day--a human performer riding a CG mount!

[​IMG]

2. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Love the contrast in this one.

TPM, 1999: A lot of practical set, with a little bit of blue screen
    AotC, 2002: A lot of blue screen, with a little bit of practical set.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  3. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    ^ Um yeah... giant alien colosseums require a little more sound stage space than a corridor. A large model captures the scope much better at a fraction of the cost. Think practical, dude. ;)

4. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    And I love the cherry-picking. You might as well compare the submarine-sequence of TPM with the Anakin/Padme picnic scene of AOTC, one is obviously more digital than the other.

Some scenes obviously use more blue screen than others, that is the nature of movie-making. Real palaces do exist, using them, or a set-copy of one of them, is rather easy. Giant alien colosseums, as Billy_Dee_Binks already mentions, are a bit more complex than that. Not to mention that they do not exist in the real world, which is why you use huge models of them. Shocking use of practical effects, I know...

darkspine10, FRAGWAGON, Samnz and 6 others like this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Digital rotoscoping is how they were done. If you're interested in those sorts of effects, I recommend you check out this thread in the Fan Films section of the forum. The tutorials there don't show exactly how they were done in the prequels, but similar.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  6. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    >Thread intended to be defending PT's unacknowledged use of practical effects
    >Defending expansive use of CGI in PT instead

[​IMG]

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    they used both and they're both good.

Kitster_Lives likes this.
  8. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    IDK, there were a great deal of cartoony moments in the PT for me. But this is not the thread for that, and I won't discuss it any further. Feel free to tag me in a post in the PT CGI thread.

9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    More like "being able to differentiate without making absurd claims that have little to do with reality, unlike other persons in the topic..."

If you make a stupid claim, be prepared to get called out on it. I couldn't care less whether a person likes the PT, heck, I'm perfectly fine with the sole reason for someone not liking the PT being "I just don't like them". What I don't like, however, are people who are dishonest or state things as a fact even though they are utterly clueless about the issue and cannot be bothered to actually check the facts prior to making their comments. It's one thing to not like something or even have good argument for it, it's something entirely different to make up stuff. Sadly, the largest group of people who can't stop talking about this is of the later variety.

10. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Believing the prequels overused CGI isn't making anything up. It's a valid & commonly held opinion. It's still just an opinion though & you're welcome to disagree.

Powerful Lord and Dinos4Ever like this.
  11. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Opinion does not equal fact.

12. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    It doesn't need to. Your opinion isn't fact either.

Powerful Lord likes this.
  13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  14. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Huh, I didn't know they were able to burn the wielder... according to a behind the scenes video on I think the ROTS DVD, they show that the hilts are actual rubber casted with chrome for the effect. I always wondered what the different colour of the sticks were for though, I guess just how they look against a green screen/ the intended CGI backdrop?

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Back when TESB and ROTS were made, the rods were colorless.

[​IMG]

When ILM went to work on the PT, it was decided to have them colored since it helped with the digital rotoscoping process and would make it easier to be covered and/or removed when the time came.

As to how it was done back in the day, as noted, it was rotoscoping.

[​IMG]

This screen grab is from the "Birth Of The Lightsaber" which you can see on Youtube.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It simply makes them easier to see when swung fast. A brightly coloured stick stands out clearer against most backgrounds than a colourless one.

17. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    ^^ I mean like, some of the stunt sticks are red, some are green. I'm guessing it's due to the editing process of inputting a background, or red's easier to see against a green screen backdrop, but I always thought it was somewhat weird that they would go to the trouble of painting the sticks in different colours.

18. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    If two characters are swinging the sticks very fast, it can be hard to see which "blade" is which when they overlap, and when the lightsabers are supposed to be different colours, it's good to know which is which when adding the effects.

In TPM, green was used for both Obi-Wan's and Qui-Gon's lightsabers though, if I remember correctly, while Maul's was red. They probably would've prefered to have Obi-Wan's be blue (to match the finished colours), but that would've dissappeared against the bluescreen.
    In ROTS, I believe both Anakin's and Obi-Wan's were red on the shoot. They wouldn't have to be different colours, since both blades are blue in the film, and red stands out well against the greenscreen.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  20. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014

Was just watching this on Youtube,
    Pause at 0:17^,, the shot of the Geonosis battle.
    That turret the Geonisian used looks practical to me. Could be
    a miniature?

Alienware, mes520 and Andy Wylde like this.
  21. The hidden holocron

The hidden holocron Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Thank you all for the answers. I thought they not used the rotoscoping in ANH, but only in TESB and ROTJ.
    Blue screen, blue sticks, then they not used chroma key for the lightsabers, but digital (frame by frame) rotoscoping, right?
    Why two colors?

22. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Moving to Practical Effects Thread.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Basically. In this case it was due to the orange glow of lava on Mustafar that required using blue rods and then having the blue screen lit up to help with the addition of the lava bursts.

That I don't know.

24. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    They tried to do it practically, with reflecting rods, but it didn't turn out too well, so they rotoscoped the blades in ANH, giving us the look of the lightsaber we know and love

I have no idea what's up with the colours in those pictures, but they didn't use blue sticks on bluescreens (or green sticks on greenscreens), since those would disappear with the chroma key (lightsaber blades are added after the background).
    Here are a couple of stills from the DVD where you can see the colours used:

[​IMG]
    As you can see, red sticks were used for greenscreen shots, and green sticks were used for bluescreen shots.
    And yes, it's frame-by-frame rotoscoping.

The tip of the stick was sometimes painted in a different colour to help the rotoscopers see exactly where the blade ended (again, during fast movements).

25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003