main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Practical or CGI?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediJurist, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    That's fine if we just want a handful of them... but difficult if we want to see an army in battle. Something that wasn't possible in the OT... and unfortunately something not probable for the ST too. Although as I said, I'm sure JJ will get a few stormtroopers in costumes guarding doors etc. that seems like a popular compromise.

Andy Wylde and Mystery Roach like this.
  2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    They were mostly CGI for the big battle scenes in TLOTR... but yes I agree - for the close ups, men in masks/makeup were better than the CGI versions.

El_Machete12 and T-R- like this.
  3. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    What they could've done was use costumes for the up close action scenes and CGI/replicate the ones in the background to fill out the army. Mixed them in shot to create the army. The ones up close are the main problems.

Han Yolo likes this.
  4. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Completely agreed. I remember seeing the first Hobbit film in theaters for the first time and being astounded at how unrealistic the orcs looked in comparison to their LotR counterparts.

Han Yolo, T-R- and Dewback like this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I prefer the Orcs in The Hobbit. For the most part I think they're more fitting of Tolkien's style of high fantasy than the ones in LOTR, which kind of strike me as something from a horror movie. Clones and Stormtroopers, on the other hand, both hit the Star Wars sweet spot, so I can't say costumes vs CGI was an issue for me.

Darth PJ likes this.
  6. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Who gives a crap if it's CGI or puppet... as long as it looks good I could give a rats behind which method was used to realize an alien or creature.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    NO! You must pick a side in this inane debate!

8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    i'm actually CGI

Mystery Roach likes this.
  9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Correct. What you guys don't realize is that LFL and Disney are watching this debate closely, and they will base their decision regarding CGI vs. puppets on the outcome here.

10. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Of course we know they're watching this thread. Why else would anyone want to express their opinions?.. Just to express them?

lol

Darkslayer, Dewback and T-R- like this.
  11. JediJurist

JediJurist Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    I certainly hope it will be both and not exclusively CGI. I didn't start the threat to start a fight, of course. I find it interesting to hear the differing perspectives and even arguments on this topic.

For me, I'd like to watch a movie and not a cartoon about a new world. As has been discussed here, some of the CGI gives a cartoon or unrealistic feel (Yoda flipping around, Jar Jar jumping up and diving in the water in TPM, C3PO in the droid factory). I think the better CGI has been for space scenes and backgrounds but not of people or aliens.

What do I know though, I actually can't stand Golum in Lord of the Rings because despite how impressive his is, he still seems like a cartoon character to me.

Dewback likes this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Those grievances are far more about the actions the characters were directed to do and far less about the medium used to execute them.

rdhight likes this.
  13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    true, but the medium used allowed the actions to be possible.

Dewback likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    The 'problem' is still a directorial decision and not a reflection on the seriousness that cgi can be used to convey.

Darth PJ and EHT like this.
  15. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    I wanna see puppets, live actors in costume, robotics, scaled models, and CGI.

16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The problem is that CGI 3PO and clone troopers looked fake. That's not a directional decision it is a function of the medium.

17. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    i would like a CGI villian who kills people with a puppet

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Those were not mentioned as issues in the post I was responding to, but thank you for taking me back to 2005 for a moment, there. :p

T-R- likes this.
  19. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    For years & years fans complained about the "Muppets" in Star Wars (I don't think they realized that Yoda was half-Muppet and the rest were done by ILM) now everyone wants puppets. These are all fads & trends in Fandom, JJA should ignore it all and just do what's right for each character and scene.

20. Ricky Olié

Ricky Olié Jedi Padawan

May 7, 2014
    I don't want muppets, I want machines, robots, animatronics, actual sets.

At least when Episodes VIII and IX come around, and we'll be in the Future with actual robots.

21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'd believe Artoo, but Chewwbacca had at best 3-4 minutes of screentime. I didn't see any instance of when he's CG. Yes, a lot of other Wookiees were, but not Chewbacca

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Not a lot of people realized the Clonetroopers were CGI in many shots in AOTC and ROTS. Some didn't find out until well after the films had come out.

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    This was the first I'd heard of it. I mean other than the wide sweeping shots of the armies (they probably wouldn't get that many extras lol), I assumed they were all real.

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Nope. Temuera Morrison and a few others served as the motion capture frame of reference, but over all, the armor was all CGI. When Cody is seen with his helmet off, that's just Morrison in a green or blue screen suit. Back when AOTC came out, I didn't even know it. I didn't found out until a few months later. And I know others who didn't know that.

Andy Wylde and EternalHero like this.
  25. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    then wouldn't it be better to call them copy + paste troopers?

Pro Scoundrel and Darkslayer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.