main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Practical or CGI?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediJurist, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Oh, yeah, sure - I don't think it was abut George being dictatorial at all. I think the cards just kind of fell that way more with the PT.

Just curious in regards the possible return of the Imperials - if it came to light that that element of the story came from George and not JJ, how would you feel about it then?

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'd be dissapointed regardles, because I don't think there's that much mileage in those particulary situations that 'the' Empire/imperials would present... However, if the idea came from Lucas, I think there would be more a chance of it being because there was some narrative significance to that choice, rather than a pull of nostalgia - which I think would be more of a risk if it was JJ's idea. Wouldn't you agree?

3. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, I think the best scenario is George's vision executed by others. Personally I love the sound of the Jedi Hunter/ Imperial rumours. Think it sounds like a very organic continuation.

4. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    As mentioned in the other thread, the Jedi Hunters sound like a progression of the Empire and Sith... so I'm all for that. I've never expected new films to go in an entirely radical, left field direction (in terms of antagnosts/protagonists)... so I think a Sith brotherhood, or proto Sith brotherhood, with the tech of the Empire is a very good, and potentialy effective, compromise.

5. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I agree.

We can still have Stormtroopers and tie-fighters as well.

6. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    Yeah there has to be consequences post ROTJ for the Empire and a natural evolution that services the story if they are going to be included in the ST, otherwise what's the point we're just re-treading old ground.

7. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think that's overcome if we see that the Sith wannabies are in charge, and that the imperials are now working towards the resurrection of a Sith Empire... perhaps?

8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The CG Sy Snootles has always been a big plus for me. I like the Yuzzum, too. I just don't like the musical number. Too out of place. Very jarring. It suffers the same fate like a lot of the other new effects shots in the SE, there's good there, but there's also quite a bit of bad.

9. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm a big GL defender, but I do agree the musical number in Jabba's Palace was out of place. There is a tone through out Jabba's palace and then all of a sudden it shifts into an almost Pixar like sequence. It really wasn't a CGI vs practical debate because there was a lot of characters in costumes in that sequence.

I think the SE OT benefited more from special effects and CGI then suffered from it. Especially ANH. Mos Eisely really came to life in the SE for me.

10. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    this relates in the use of cg: just watched desolation of smaug. again, same complaint as watching the hobbit compared to LOTR. overuse. i was craving the moments of people just talking and interacting with each other so i could re-immerse. how am i supposed to get into a movie when i am seeing unnecessary use of fx in nearly every shot? does every scene have to include a super wide computer painted panorama? in everyday life do we see the tonsils of every person that speaks to us? this is overuse. when nearly every shot in a movie has something animated and unnatural it leads to me not being emotionally involved. there were some good points made that the expanding of the OT using the bantha shots was good, bespin windows, and it WAS! thats not an example of overuse. but what is the point of taking it to this current extreme? laziness? how were movies made in the past somehow without incorporating fx in every scene? yet somehow they were considered classics. i make my kids sit for the occasional classic for 5 minutes, with of course the option to take off if they dont get pulled in and they mostly sit and love the older movies. then i put on newer ones with eye gouging cgi and they bounce around and it takes a long time to get into it. is it my kids? is it me? or do we have to be worked up into a frenzy with cgi fx overload just to sit and watch a film now?

i'm really wondering what fans and moviegoers demographic are current movies playing to that cant sit still and need to see 'splosions, nothing but comic book movies, and cgi crapfests with less story and more fx? go ahead, call me old. i'm not really that old, and i dont want to start seeing the maltese falcon or citizen kane or (insert any old movie with no fx) all the time but really, it makes me believe in the incarnation people that live in their parents basements, hide on the internet all day and only pay to see movies that are dumbed down eye popping animated hollow movies. demand more people!

D'an, vinsanity and solo77 like this.
  11. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Not that I totally disagree with you, but it's all relative. My parents were saying the same to me when I was watching Star Wars and all those other great films from the 80's. My folks were always going on about them being too fast and dependant on explosions, gross humour, bangs and screams... and that was just The Goonies... ;)

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    MakingStarWars posted this today:
    http://makingstarwars.net/2014/06/s...us-clarification-rumored-classic-planet-film/

So, much like the Prequels, they're building sets and then extending them via green screens for set extensions. Also seems like they're doing digital characters too.

13. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Of course there will be digital characters. Did anyone think they were going to run production as if it was 1982??

I expect a good mix of practical vs digital effects.

14. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Exactly... JJ would have been a real numpty to exclude the wealth of technology at his disposal... like he was ever really going to reject the technology of 2014 for that of the 1980's.

15. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    someday in this idiocracy there's going to be an award winning movie called a**, and its going to be a completely cgi butt. there will be some old fashioned people out there wishing for the days of non cgi butts

16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    No, much like Star Wars. Set extensions were always a part of the movies. The only difference was the methods to get to the same place differ but it amounts to the same thing.

Is this the first "confirmation" (if this report is real) of Stormtroopers?

ESB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ROTS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I guess it should be this set that they were filming

[​IMG]

I'm totally ok with greenscreen on the sides to extend the sets as long as most of the set is all practical and built and I love that they're building huge stages, I wonder what the two short CGI characters will be.

Satipo and Heero_Yuy like this.
  18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Further proof that Lucas was still doing things the old fashioned way, in the PT.

Andy Wylde and Darth Raiden like this.
  19. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Noghri perhaps? If they borrow anything at all from the EU I think miniature alien assassins could be interesting.

vinsanity likes this.
  20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well it amounts to the same thing. Extending the sets via illusion.

The whole point though is that extending sets through greenscreen or bluescreen by applying miniatures and mattes was always part of the process.

The only difference is that the film based optical process had it's limits while doing the same thing with digital composition allows far more scope on a basis where it can be used over and over and over again scene after scene in a fully 3 dimensional environmental perspective.

The Emperor's throne room in Jedi was fine for it's time but they couldn't do this:

[​IMG]

without this:

[​IMG]

21. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    You didn't said anything different of what I said, even the throne room in ROTJ had bluescreen for the windows.

Satipo likes this.
  22. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I won't even point out the obvious to this question. The dilemma, is when you're looking to recreate the environment of an alien planet that isn't Tatooine, Hoth, Endor etc where you can use real locations to give it true believability in the eyes of the viewer. Recreating a planet which has giant, colourful plants or whatever, is going to be a real challenge.

LUH-3417 likes this.
  23. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    No one is saying no cutting edge, modern FX. No one is saying no green screen. Some are just stating a preference for, where possible/ applicable, as much in camera, practical work as possible, but not at the expense of the quality. Practical troopers are the best example I can think of. Obviously if you want to visit a a totally alien environment, you may want to use digital. It's horses for courses, not an either or. The best FX use whatever is best to achieve the illusion. It's a ridiculous straw man to suggest people want crappy FX from the 70s.

LUH-3417 and vinsanity like this.
  24. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think what's being argued is that the PT was a good mix of the two... and without any fundamental shift in sensibilities, JJ should be able to achieve a better blend given the fact that the technology has advanced so much in the last 10/15 years. What's at risk (IMHO) is 'imagination'... for example, I don't think JJ would even attempt anything like the battle of Naboo... but that is offset by the notion that this may result in the ST having less effects sequences that look as Jar Jarring as the Gungans Vs Battledroids... ;)

Andy Wylde, Darth Raiden and Satipo like this.
  25. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

Nothing new, instead of matte paintings, it's CGI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.