main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Info Practice Markup Codes!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by jasman, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks, LAJ!

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We disabled image signatures when we were first testing the Xenforo software. We saw how much the boards slowed if people used large ones. One of the mods (who will remain nameless) had a large LOTR one and it really slowed things.

3. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    ummm isn't that what I just said? I was happy to see the gifs being disabled in the sigs. It was becoming super annoying

I know someone who used an animated avatar four months ago, but it doesn't show the movement unless you click on the users profile

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah please no animated sigs. Those always slow down forum sites.

5. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I wasn't trying to make the gif my avatar or put it in a sig. I just wanted to post it in a thread, but for some reason the gifsoup.com site wouldn't finalize the gif I created...

6. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Then, maybe, and as Laj suggested above, try it again. Maybe that site had an error that is fixed now - or try another one.

Sorry, that I can't give you more assistance.

7. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
  8. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
  9. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
  10. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Yeah, thanks, Skiara. I made a meme and was trying to make sure the link would work so I could post it in the Cloud City Cantina thread...and it did:)

11. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Good. :)
    I was wondering, because the little image below your link doesn't show up at my computer.

12. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Yet another linking test:

[​IMG]

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    It seems it works. The pic shows up. :)

14. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Yep, it did finally show up...it was originally supposed to go here: #303 but oh well!

Nice to "see" you, Skiara! I hope the New Year is off to a great start for you:) I've been busier lately and haven't been posting as much (dropped out of the "Welcome to the Chaos" EUC thread completely, I know!) but wanted to say hello!

15. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Not always is it going like it is supposed to be. But at least, it worked in the end. :)

Yep, my new year was great and Christmas as well. Hope for you the same, Pensivia. :)
    No prob about dropping out. None can participate everywhere forever - especially if RL chances (I hope it's something good that causes the business). Whenever you have a bit time, we are happy about a visit - even if you disappear again afterwards. :)

I'm looking forward to the time you say 'hello' again. :D

Pensivia likes this.
  16. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    I need help. How do you pull just one line from say a full paragraph in somebody's post to respond to. And how do you do it from multiple posts within the same thread? I see people do this and I have no clue as to how it works?

17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    You mean quoting like this (see below)?
    ^That's pretty easy. Just hit 'reply' on the right side of the post you want to quote and delete everything that you don't need by hand.

Multiple posts like this:

[some text]

[some more text]

^That works in the same way. Hit 'reply' as often as needed and delete the parts you don't need by hand. If it's from various posts, it's still the same, just hit 'reply' on the right side of the post in question.

It only gets a bit more complicated, if those posts are on different pages. Then you need to work on all posts that are on the same side. After adding them to your post, you need to copy the whole text, then you go to the next page, insert your copied text and continue adding quotes.

Feel free to test it in here. There are tons of posts you can quote for training. :)

...and of course, ask again, if I wasn't clear enough or another question comes up.

Just one last hint: Don't forget that tagging is an option as well. If you tag a person instead of quoting her/him, it'll make the whole post shorter and especially on smaller devices a lot easier to read (you know, scrolling gets annoying at one point, especially if it's not needed, since the quote post is on the same page as the answer to it).

:)

18. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    Thanks for the tips. I'll do some practice in here, because I've tried the thing where you delete by hand and somehow managed to mess it up.

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    It's not too difficult. Just don't touch anything within the "[" and "]". :)

20. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    That's pretty easy.

I sure hope so.

21. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    Yeah, I just saw that.

22. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    Yes, I mean quoting like this.

23. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    ...and hitting 'reply' from various posts as often as you need before hitting 'post reply' will give you quotes like below. Of course, you can add text if you like. :)

24. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    That looks a little confusing, but ok.

25. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    Just practicing.

Just testing.