main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Prayer Request from Master--Kenobi

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Miana Kenobi, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I just got off of the phone with Kim, who called me because she could not get access to a computer.

A young woman that Kim knows/lives near was shot this afternoon in a gang-related shooting simply because she was wearing a red t-shirt. She is in critical condition and is not expected to live.

Kim asks for support and prayers for this girl, for it looks like only a miracle will her. :(

And support for Kim and Jos! [:D]

2. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Thanks for doing this, Rachel...

Nadi is a wonderful 20 year old with two small children. Her mom and family are almost like our own. Nadi made the mistake of wearing a red T-Shirt and had a gangbanger (blue) approach her and make nasty gang-related comments. Nadi told them that she wasn't a gang member, never had been and never would be...and to get off of their property. She was promptly shot in the heart. She had her 3 year old son at her side and her 10 month old baby in her arms. The shooter was a neighbor that she had known all her life. He was arrested almost immediately and his excuse was that she was wearing rival colors!

There was a huge Central California wide prayer virgil for her tonight, as the EEG (brain activity) is flat lined. The doctors said they will basically watch her for a week, then the family needs to make a "decision" if there is no change. Emergency surgery did not go well as the bullet is lodged in the back part of one of the heart chambers and inaccessable. People from all over the state and all religions came out for this. The Mom knows that Jos and I are very involved in Star Wars and remembered all the prayers that were given from all over fandom for our Mom. She asked if we could "ask your Star Wars friends if they might pray for my daughter too." I immediately called Miana Kenobi and she was there for us.

The family said to tell you all that they can't thank you enough. We will know more in about a week. Right now, both of us are running through the gauntlet of emotions..sad, scared, angry, livid, frustrated, etc. All of this over a stupid piece of red cloth.

Thank you again, all of you.

May The Force Be With You All

Master K and Siri

3. GreyJediPathfinder

GreyJediPathfinder Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2005
    Master K and Siri,

My heartfelt prayers and love go out to you and the family of this young woman. Knight Marcus sends his also. I will let the local group here know also.

Much love and prayers,

Master Shan

4. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Sometimes I hate people (the stupid gangbangers)....my thoughts are with the girl and her family. Maybe there is some good left in this world, I know there is here in the SW community.

5. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    That is absolutely sickening news. I am so sorry to hear this has happened to a young woman and mother...so pointless. All of my best hopes and wishes to out to her and to her family. I'll light a candle, here. Please let us know what happens, for good or ill. What a terrible, terrible waste.

- Kai

6. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Our thoughts are with the family, and with you Kim and Josie.

It's sad and so very tragic that the two children will grow up with only the memory of their mother's love, and just after Mother's Day which will make that holiday only doubly bitter for them.

All the best during this difficult time, take care, you know where to find us if you need to chat

Sid and Mrs.

7. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    So sad to hear this news. I understand totally what they're going through - to lose a loved one - a young mother, staying at her bedside, feeling so helpless. This just makes me so angry. :mad: If I had my way, this so called "gangbanger" would get just that...in prison! And the only red he'd see is his own blood on the walls. I'm with you, Bridget. I hate those guys. They should send them all to the Middle East and drop them off in the desert, and see how good they really are with a gun! "Hey, you're on our turf!" Your turf? You don't even pay taxes on that "turf", you dumba**! Oh, by the way, it's "ask", not "axe". And when you're on the phone, say "where are you", not "where you at". And could you please pull your damn pants up! I swear, some people just don't deserve to have children. Yet they do, and the cycle just repeats itself. Sorry, had to vent. I'm seriously disgusted right now.

My prayers are with you.

You mind if I post this on our boards?

8. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Vent Away, Matt. (Actually, when we were sitting at the hospital, I kept thinking of Chanel and of what you must have gone through at that time. So, in a strange way, the both of you were helping Jos and I with this.)

Huge HUGE Hug...and I agree completely and totally with EVERYTHING you posted.

Please feel free to post this on SF boards. The more prayers...

As of now, Nadi is still on complete life support, and the EEG is still flatlined... :_| Her Mom is working with another friend of hers and ours, a lawyer, who is donating all of his services to help her get custody of the two boys. It's all so frustrating and we are all still sickened and angry beyond words.

I hate gangbangers... the whole stupid "colors" thing...and most of all, the utter waste of lives and the ripple effect it has on so many people.

(ok my turn to rant a bit.)

Hugs again,

Kim

9. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Matt, do you realize how much I love you for what you just posted? Every one of those rants has been in my head for I don't know how many years.

10. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    I remember that long stint (was it twelve days? Fourteen?) with Kitty in the hospital for pneumonia, every day a little worse, more of her lungs collapsing, and then finally they took her down to ICU and she made the choice to be intubated and put on a vent, if that had not worked, she'd probably be dead now.

Was a very dark time, I felt so helpless and the drugs they were giving her had her so badly altered, it was an unending, timeless nightmare.

You helped me get through "the long dark" Kim, your support and calls meant a lot, so now I'll return the favor and remind you not to forget your own advice:

Take care of yourself so you can be strong for those who need you, and we're here if you need us. You got my cell, call anytime.

You are in our thoughts.

11. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    As far as Matt's rant, I have more to add as well. Two friends came to visit last weekend, you probably have seen them at cons. Mr. Mikey told me how he was mugged last month at gunpoint right in front of his home in Oakland.

He's not sure if the guy got caught, or his accomplice. But it seems it's popular to hold up homeowners at gunpoint on trash day when they got their hands full. It was a couple, woman was likely driving a get away car, they were hanging on the corner watching. I've been hearing of other instances as well, thieves demand their wallet and cell phone.

Sadly with the homeless situation, drugs, gang crime, racial division being spurred by the immigration issues, and an economy that seems to be widening the gap between the haves and have nots, I'm afraid it's going to just get worse.

And gang crime, hate crime, random acts of violence and vandalism... and our government unable to do a THING about it just frustrates me.

12. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Gods, I remember that like it was yesterday. That was, indeed a nightmare! Thanks again, Sid. Will probably take you up on that call later tonight!

13. Jazmachine

Jazmachine Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 24, 2003
    I'm really sorry to hear about this sensless act of violence. Nadi and her family are in my thoughts and prayers.

14. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm also really sorry to hear about this. I've kind of given up on trying to make any kind of sense out of this kind of violence. Needless to say it totally sucks and I wish there was a way that these gang bangers could find a way to belong to positive groups and find honest ways to get by in the world. The whole life of crime I'll never understand :( And targeting someone because of their shirt color so you can belong to such a group is totally cowardly.

I hope by some miracle the girl survives this. Her poor family :(

- kay dee

15. The_Sith_Mistress

The_Sith_Mistress Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2003
    My prayers are with Nadi.

It is a shame that people will resort to such violence just because a simple peice of clothing you wear. :(

16. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Jos and I do a lot of volunteer work, gang intervention, Neighborhood Watch, Neighborhood Safety Project Education, and Neighborhood Reclaimation work in the North Side of our town. We have been trained in this and have been doing this for about 11 years. A lot of it is helping people learn to take their neighborhoods back from the gangs, violence and lawlessness. We work very closely with a lot of the local agencies, including our local PD. We have become so close to so many of these victimized families. In that section of town, it is estimated that over 95% of the people have known a person or have had a family member lost to gang violence. It is so frustrating to see good people who work hard to try to make their neighborhood a better place end up like this.. *sigh*

Most of these kids that are affiliated just want a family. To be "jumped in" is bad enough... but to be "jumped out" is even more horrible to them, provided they live through the process.

What is amazing is that there have been a few.. VERY few.. but a few that we have managed to touch through SW, yes SW...that actually "got it" and managed to survive the process and get themselves out. In fact one of the young men we worked with who was very involved in gangs (jumped in at 8 years old!!!!) actually has adopted the Jedi philosophies of being a peacekeeper and helping others and went against all odds and has become a police officer specializing in gang-intervention. There are others who have actually gotten out and gotten an education. So there are a few success stories...but there are so very very few. :_|

It is just an unbelivable society...and, Matt, like Bridget, I just love you all the more for your post. I still absolutely completely and totally detest gangs and the both of us will continue in our small way to, hopefully, help make a difference. There is no easy answer...if one wants to see the real Empire in action just take a look at how the gangs rule the streets and the small groups that stand up to them. Those people that make a stand are the true heros in my eyes.

Ok, my turn to vent and rage again. Just thank you again soo very much.

(and.. so far..last report..no change... :_| )

17. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    That's the only part I kind of do understand - their need to feel like they have a family and a way to get by on the streets. By me saying I've 'given up,' I don't mean communities should give up on the gang problem and allow it to fester, grow and dominate. I just meant personally, I know it's a mentality I will never fully relate to or understand. I could never imagine gang life, crime, and killing innocent people as an acceptable way to get by. Sometimes people are randomly victimized and I just can't rationalize it. Crap happens and it sucks. :(

18. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Amen, Sister. You said it all perfectly!!!

19. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Just insert all the words we can't type right here....

Jos just called. She is at the hospital with the family. I think they are getting ready to make the decision.

I just want to sit and cry...

:_|

20. jedizoe

jedizoe Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2005
    I think that is so lame of people to do such a thing because of the color your clothes are!!! My spirits is with you Nadi!:)

Oh yes Matt! I agree with what you said about sending them to the Middle East!!! They would last a day!

21. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    This sucks.

Is this she? I Googled this from the Fresno Bee (confused about this though, since the article states it happened Mon May 8 and Miana's relay post on the 15th said it happened that day...jeez, maybe it's someone else, which would doubly suck) -- I was hoping to find info on the big prayer vigil and maybe where to send a contribution to the family. Keep us posted with any further info!

Caryn B.
    The Parrot

------------
    Fresno Bee - Wednesday May 10, 2006

Three men arrested in shooting

Police arrested three Visalia men in the late-night shooting of a woman Monday.

Officers found 21-year-old Nativieda Viscarra with a gunshot wound just before midnight in the 900 block of North Turner Street.

Viscarra was taken to Kaweah Delta Hospital, where she remained in critical condition after undergoing surgery, Visalia police reported.

Investigators detained four men in connection with the shooting. Police later announced that three of the men ? Apio Saesee, 28; Leo Loya, 26; and Raen See, 28 ? were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and gang allegations. Bail for Saesee and Loya was set at $500,000. See's bail was set at $20,000.

No information on a motive for the shooting was available Tuesday.

22. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    All this to feel like they belong to something bigger.
    If only they'd found SW and groups like the FF, 501st and RL. Those are my family..my part of something bigger. I can totally understand that need to feel connected.

23. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    This is an incredible tragedy. In this day and age, it's comfounding that people still perform violence simply because of the clothes people wear or the way somebody looks. My prayers are with you Kim and I hope these thugs are brought to justice to the fullest extent of the law. We have a system of punishment and rehabilitation. For somebody to do something as unconsionable as this, they deserve absolute punishment to the fullest extent of the law and beyond.

Unfortunately we at SFFF know this pain all too well of what it must feel like for such a young life to be cut short. Our prayers are with you Kim -- for you and the family.

May you find strength and courage.

24. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    To answer you, Caryn.. Yes that is our Nadi. And when we got the call we were under the impression that it happened that day. We later found out that it had happened earlier and the family thought that we had been notified and were probably out of town. Miscommunications in the emotional upswing of everything.

And Harlock. Jos and I know so well what all of you went through and still feel for everyone upthere. Chanel is never far from our hearts and thoughts. (hugs again to all of you). (In fact the magnet with her lip prints on it is always on our refrigerator. So not a day goes by without thinking of her.)

As for the latest update. It is with a broken heart that I regret to inform everyone that Nadi was declared braindead at 12:30 p.m. today. I was unable to get off of work, but Jos was with the family. The doctors told them that she would also probably pass within the next day or so, as the bullet lodged in her heart is taking it's toll. Right now, they are still in shock and unable to make that final decision. As it stands, they are letting her pass naturally, but are not ready to disconnect. As Im sure everyone understands.

So, while her spirit has taken flight, her shell remains.

The charges against those involved have been changed to First Degree Murder. Jos and I and friends are busy trying to get the family out of the house and moved somewhere safe. Right now, I'm not sure about a fund to help the boys, and final expenses...but as soon as I find out anything, I will let you all know.

Thank you all again so very much, from the bottom of our hearts for the prayers, thoughts, and just a place to vent. Our love goes out to all of you, our family within the Force.

May the Force Be With You All,

Kim, Josie and the Family of Nadi

25. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    I hope justice is served. My thoughts and prayers go out to her friend's and family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.