main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pre-ANH EU novels about Leia (and Winter): Speculation...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TreskImnel, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TreskImnel

TreskImnel Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2004
    Okay, I'm new here, I hope this isn't redundant (sorry if it is), but I couldn't find anything in the lit index or on the first twelve pages, so here goes.

Does anyone have any ideas about potential storylines (perhaps a novel trilogy) about Princess Leia's early years, her work in the Senate and the pre-Yavin Rebellion, etc.?

I normally post at TOS, but this type of thread is skating a bit close to the creative-submission restrictions there (which I consider perfectly reasonable for an official site). So I thought I'd just throw the doors open here. Enjoy.
    :) ;)

2. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I think right now both Luke and Leia between EpIII and ANH are off limits. Though there certainly has been in the past material dealing with their lives prior to ANH.

3. TreskImnel

Apr 30, 2004
    I think right now both Luke and Leia between EpIII and ANH are off limits.

This is true, but I think that's mainly because they're waiting for EP III to come out so that there aren't any spoilers or contradictions. Once EP III comes out, the gates are wide open *I hope*... ;)

Sue Rostoni has confirmed that it's possible that future EU novels may focus on Leia here.

Though there certainly has been in the past material dealing with their lives prior to ANH.

True, but there's still room for a Leia Trilogy, IMO. ;)

4. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    There probobly will be 'a' book or something, but i doubt she really did much before ANH and im not bothered about her character, so i dont really mind if she doesnt :)

5. TreskImnel

Apr 30, 2004
    There probobly will be 'a' book or something, but i doubt she really did much before ANH

Hmmm, I don't know. I'd have to check the SWT-G, but I think she was elected to the Senate about two years before ANH. And she was with the Rebellion from even before then. So I think she was pretty busy... ;)

And they could probably do something set before she was elected about her role in swaying her adoptive father to support open rebellion...

and im not bothered about her character, so i dont really mind if she doesnt

Fair enough. Each to their own. ;) But I know I'm not the only one who's hopping up and down with anticipation of a possible Leia "prequel." :D

6. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    There is that :)

It'd probobly be more along the lines of 'Cloak of Deseption' i guess, mabye a tiny bit of action :)

There was the comic a few weeks/months before ANH that she stars in, mabye expand on that a little?

I do hope, for the Leia fans, that she gets a book.

7. TreskImnel

Apr 30, 2004
    It'd probobly be more along the lines of 'Cloak of Deseption' i guess, mabye a tiny bit of action

Probably along those lines. Although Leia's blockade-running for the Rebellion could add quite a bit of action...

There was the comic a few weeks/months before ANH that she stars in, mabye expand on that a little?

Yes, Princess, Warrior, a two-issue story arc in Empire. It expanded upon some of the events from the Radio Dramatisation (and fiddled around a bit with the timeline, apparently, but I still liked it... ;))It's one of the few comics I've read. I did like it, but it takes place almost immediately before ANH, so it could probably only be incorporated into the ending or epilogue of a pre-ANH Leia book or series...

I do hope, for the Leia fans, that she gets a book.

Thanks. ;) :)

8. TreskImnel

Apr 30, 2004
    Just a thought here. Does anyone else think it would be a good idea for Winter to play a major role in any pre-ANH novels about Leia? Maybe that's just a quirk of mine because Winter's one of my favourite EU-only characters (if not my all-time EU favourite, but Leia's my overall favourite SW character...)

Nonetheless, I think it's important for the sake of continuity with established EU material. I also think their friendship needs to be explored in more detail. And dialogue between the two of them could provide a good opportunity for character development, IMO...

9. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    It's been said for a while that A.C. Crispin (who did the Han Solo trilogy) wants to do a trilogy about Leia along the same lines.

Really, other than seeing Alderaan court intrigue through the eyes of a child, I have a hard time seeing her getting into much excitement until she's about 15 or 16, when the Rebellion really heated up and she entered the Senate.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There was a 'young Leia' Tales story that is pretty good. It is 'First Impressions' and was reprinted in Tales Vol. 4. It is Infinities (and therefore not canon) but it isn't bad.

11. TreskImnel

Apr 30, 2004
    It's been said for a while that A.C. Crispin (who did the Han Solo trilogy) wants to do a trilogy about Leia along the same lines.

I've heard that, too. I'm not quite as negative about the HST as a lot of other fans are, but personally I'd rather see Denning, Allston or Stackpole write Leia's backstory. (Perhaps Cunningham, but I haven't read DJ yet, so I can't say...)

Really, other than seeing Alderaan court intrigue through the eyes of a child, I have a hard time seeing her getting into much excitement until she's about 15 or 16, when the Rebellion really heated up and she entered the Senate.

That's about what I had in mind. Unless they want to do a "Junior Princess" series along the lines of JJK... :p ;)

There was a 'young Leia' Tales story that is pretty good. It is 'First Impressions' and was reprinted in Tales Vol. 4. It is Infinities (and therefore not canon) but it isn't bad.

I'll have to check that one out. Is that the same as The Princess Leia Diaries?

12. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Any early Leia/Senate work could also include the Imperial Senator for Naboo Pooja Naberrie. (or is it Ryoo).

It would be intriguing to see the older Senator be able to guide the younger Leia in the Senate, all the while both unaware of the relationship.

A slightly related question...

Is it common knowledge at the time that Bail Organa is not Leia's real father?

As in, do most people know Leia is adopted?

If not, I wonder why people don't wonder why such a dark, latino looking man such as Organa has such a fair-skinned caucausian daughter...

:)

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've never seen The Princess Leia Diaries so I don't know. However, the Tales Vol 4 story seemed
    to be a standalone one.

14. TreskImnel

Apr 30, 2004
    Any early Leia/Senate work could also include the Imperial Senator for Naboo Pooja Naberrie. (or is it Ryoo).

It would be intriguing to see the older Senator be able to guide the younger Leia in the Senate, all the while both unaware of the relationship.

Neat idea. :) It would also be interesting if Leia met her cousins in the post-NJO trilogy. But all the more so if they discovered they already knew each other... ;)

Is it common knowledge at the time that Bail Organa is not Leia's real father?

Almost certainly not, IMO. From the OT, it seems that Leia herself thought she was Bail Organa's biological daughter. It would have been harder to convince her of that if others had known the truth (and more of a security risk). There's also this quote from Winter in Rebel Dawn:

"The Viceroy has been like a father to me, he raised me with his own daughter, Leia. I've been the princess's companion ever since we were little children."

Which also raises the question of Winter's origins. She was evidently raised as a foster child of the House of Organa, but who were her real parents? There's a reference before that quote to a look indicating some sort of past emotional pain being remembered passing across Winter's face before she said that. Maybe her parents died in an accident? Or in the Clone Wars?

If not, I wonder why people don't wonder why such a dark, latino looking man such as Organa has such a fair-skinned caucausian daughter...

It all depends on what Bail Organa's wife (the Alderaanian Minister of Education) looked like. If she was very fair-skinned, Leia's appearance might not raise any eyebrows.

I've never seen The Princess Leia Diaries so I don't know. However, the Tales Vol 4 story seemed
    to be a standalone one.

Hmm. Either way, I'll keep an eye out for both. Thanks. :)

15. TreskImnel

Apr 30, 2004
    There's also the prospect of what role Leia's aunts, Celly Organa and Tia Organa would play in any such series. I haven't read COTJ yet, so unfortunately there's some previously established background there that I'm not entirely familiar with...

16. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I think that Empire should focus on Winter like Republic has focused on Quin.

17. TreskImnel

Apr 30, 2004
    I think that Empire should focus on Winter like Republic has focused on Quin.

:D Always nice to see another Winter fan. ;)

(Leia's my overall favourite SW character, but I'd rank Winter as my EU favourite... ;))

18. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Winter is in the Rogue Squad comics.

19. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I'm all for Novels or Comics about Leia and Winter's adventures before ANH. or maybe more stories about Leia and Winter's friendship.

20. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    For a pre-ANH Leia story, people may want to check out "Weapons Master".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.