main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit pre-Dark Side Korriban

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darklordoftech, Jun 19, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I've always wondered what Korriban was like before the Dark Side consumed it. What does everyone think? I hope it's shown somewhere someday.

I'll enjoy every idea I hear.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, at the time of Dawn of the Jedi, the Sith were apparently "normal" enough to join the other Tythonians and the Je'daii Order. Howsever, when the Dark Jedi Exiles set foot on Korriban circa ,9000 BBY, their society had already taken a distinct "might makes right" vibe. In her journal, Sorzus Syn even confessed that she wrote the Code of the Sith by drawing on the Red Sith's way of life, which could be summarized as "take what you need, kill the rest."

3. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    We don't know what type of society Sek'nos's ancestors lived in before boarding a Tho Yor.
    Which raises the question of how Red Sith society became that way.

4. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I understand, but I don't think having the Red Sith in Dawn of the Jedi was a smart move. They were meant to be completely unknown before the Exiles landed on Korriban. Same thing with the "Dathomirian seers" shown in the issue 0 of the comics. There shouldn't be shamanistic rancor-riders on Dathomir 30,000 years before Allya...

DelRiego and ILNP like this.
  5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I never these things are smart moves. Anyway, I intended this to be a theorizing thread, not a review thread.

6. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I just intended to lay the foundations, which is absolutely necessary to theorize. Now, I know that one of your pet theories is the corruption by the Anzati?

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It's not my theory at all. It's just something that was suggested on starwars.com Hyperspace.

8. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Wasn't that in Evil Never Dies, written by our Abel Peña? Well, ti was not your theory, granted, but it was still presented as possibility, not a fact-- a claim made by the Anzati themselves, if I remember correctly.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I didn't mean to call it fact. I was just saying that it's the theory of those mentioned in the article, not my theory. More specifically, it's the theory of a few in-universe archeologists.

10. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Then the question would be: how and why a group of Anzati could have travelled from Anzat to the Stygian Caldera...
    I'm tempted to involve the Celestials in that story. Otherwise, the journey would have been too long and perhaps even pointless.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't believe the Anzati-Red Sith theory myself, but I guess Anzati-Kwa contact is a possibility.

12. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    What do you mean by 'before the Dark Side consumed it'?
    Do you want to refer to the time period before the Dark Jedi arrived?
    Is the Kind Adas-period still considered to be pre? The Rakata were also Dark Side Users, so...

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Before it became full of Dark Side energy and all the lifeforms were mutated.

14. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    And when was that?

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That is one of my many questions.

General Immodet likes this.
  16. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    You most certainly are a curious fellow... ;)

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Indeed I am, and I'm proud of it.

18. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    It's true that this theory sounds more like bragging, as if the Anzati sought to claim the "authorship" of the Sith philosophy. Now, if you accept theories on a more mystical level, maybe the Force itself corrupted the Sith "naturally" to counter the growing influence of the Je'daii and their Jedi successor.

Or perhaps Korriban wasn't always the wasteland we know. Perhaps it was originally a bountiful world that became the wasteland we all know at some point between DOTJ and its discovery by the Exiles. A series of natural cataclysms that left deep wounds in the planet's environment may have forced the Red Sith to become cruel and competitive.

19. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Tatooine was also once a sea planet. So, yeah, it might be possible Korriban was once an entirely different planet.

Personnally, I think when creating a fictive universe writers often come up with stereotypical planets.
    Planets which are full of one aspect of fauna and flora we have on Earth.

By the way, I love Anzati. They are scary. That way, they are good villains.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    From an out-of-universe point of view, I'd agree. From a theorizing point of view,that result is questions.

21. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Korriban was probably similar to Arrakis of the "Dune" series, a harsh planet cultivating a mentality of ruthless behavior in order to survive.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Did the rockyness lead to the Dark Side, or did the Dark Side lead to the rockyness?

23. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Yet, the example of Arrakis shows that there are two ways to react upon living on harsh planet. You can build a close-knitted society pulling together, like the Fremens did. If you chose to do that, the largest number of people will survive, but none of them shall know abundance and luxury. However, you can also develop a ruthless mentality, which certainly isn't aimed to greater good but will allow a few individuals to live like kings. That was the choice of the Red Sith.

Now, why did they make that choice? Here comes a theory: they were convinced by the Dark Side itself. Let's imagine Korriban was indeed rendered harsh and unpleasant by a series of cataclysms. Seeing what happened to the planet of the Red Sith, the Son (living incarnation of the Dark Side) saw an opportunity to convert its inhabitants to his dark lore. The Son used the precarious situation of the Sith to turn their planet into the cradle of mundane darkness.

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I've always wondered if Son and Korriban are connected.

25. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    The dark side corruption of Korriban is most likely a result of the conflict between Sith King Adas and the Rakata, during the pre-Republic period. The planet was largely abandoned following that conflict, which suggests that the local ecology was devastated by war. Alternatively the dark side taint could have been spread during the as yet undated period when Soa ruled Korriban, or possibly in his conflict with the 'army of ancients' who defeated him.