main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[PRE-EMPTIVE] Yes, We Are Aware Of The Rating...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by dp4m, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Personally, we covered masturbation in 5th grade sex-ed, so definitely within the "13-year old" range, provided that it's, erm, handled tastefully.

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    You'll find a range of 'adult' topics covered in the Senate forum - as long as things are discussed maturely then I don't see the problem in having threads on them here. Yes, we have a thread entitled "Do you masturbate?" in the JCC, but every single post has been on topic, and none have required editing (iirc).

You could break the TOS/ROC in a thread on any subject, conversely you can discuss almost any subject while remaining within the TOS/ROC.

3. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    We do have to decide what is and isn't ok to say here. If we didn't who would?

The word retard and the word gay are not banned, but they are not allowed to be used pajeratively. A discussion about masterbation is not geared toward causing offense, so allowing it is consistant with the other policies here.

4. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `Nobody under 13 is allowed to post.'

I wonder if it means anything that we can't tell the difference between a 13 year old and a thirty year old quality of writing. :D

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    To make a general comment about TFN changing it's post rating system, I really don't expect to see TFN change anything about that. It's not how I would run my site, but I honestly wouldn't expect any different. Supposedly, no one under 13 can register, however, the system is set up for 7-year-olds, as xie has said. [face_plain]

6. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    I don't think anyone should be concerned about kids under 13 posting. It's not our fault they chose to lie about their ages. Why should anyone go out of their way to protect kids who think that they can handle it? And, honestly, I'll bet you fifty bucks they can.

7. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    That's quite sad :(

I wish the OWNERS can say TFN should be PG-13.

8. sal9161

sal9161 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2004
    No, nothing should change , THe site is based on star wars not every other pg-13 movie.

9. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    "as long as it is done tastfully"

Which might be difficult to do in a movie, realisticly, and I guess it is also very ... okay, hem, easily inflamatory here. I mean, in a classroom setting it is a bit different, esp. when the teacher can keep it tastefully and informative. I do see the point of someone arguing it might be more difficult to do that when surfing the internet. Although others might argue that to let a young child surf the internet by itself is not always a good idea.
    Ugh. I again made that a bit complicated. I can see why a board that is publicly visible would wish to avoid a PG-13 rating.

Personally I don't have a problem with some sexually oriented discussions. But then again, in the Netherlands the rating system is more oriented towards shielding from violence than sex (a common joke about 'typical' dutch movies is that you will always see someone completely naked up front).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.