main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Predator Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    one of my favorite sets of movies next to star wars and aliens. i always liked the idea of an intergalactic hunter collecting skulls as trophies. i liked the first one alot and then the 2nd one was ok. what are all of your thoughts?

2. MIK2005

MIK2005 Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2006
    Recapture the magic of Predator. Predator Vs. Alien was a brave effort. it should've been made into a film set in the future like the comics. Any0ne agree.

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i agree. the comics and the novels had a lot better story line

4. PICTURETHIS

PICTURETHIS Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2006
    It's a franchise now. No matter what setting, it's merely going in the direction as shown by dir. Anderson, which is commerciality. Predator was interesting and credible in its approach to a premise. When I saw the very first commercials for this, I had no idea other than it seemed to me another one of those 'lone American soldier rescue his buddy' which, for me, I don't bother with. Partially correct, but was totally surprised by the turn. And it works, intriguing and riveting. All of the performances from all of the actors AND actress. Still have conflict from the fact that plant life had to suffer for this movie, though. The sequel is intense and holds up on its own, although, I have a problem with this 'go at it alone' syndrome. Especially if a character is going after a 7-8 foot tall extraterrestrial who's pasttime is planet hopping and disembowling your ass and maybe, oh, say , 8 or 9 skulls of whatever rascal he cornered, MIGHT be considered a satisfying day. I saw AVP after my roommate lent me a copy, and I'll say this: I was right, I really did not have a good reason to go to the movies.

5. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    The second one wasn't that bad, thanks to the comedic relief of Bill Paxton and Gary Busey getting cut into two pieces.

6. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    I enjoyed the first Predator. The Predator alien I liked, and his mask was pretty cool. Although he freaked me out when he took it off. The laser on his shoulder and the cloaking device was cool. But it's vision was too wierd though.

GET TO DA CHOPPA!

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i liked the cloaking device it had and the wristblades. then the new weapons in Predator 2 were cool. like the netgun and the disc

8. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I'm one of those rare people that prefers Predator 2 to Predator 1. I would say that Predator 1 is definately a better movie, but the second one is just made for action-movie lovers. The intro jumps right in to an awesome gunfight in the streets, followed by a creepy slaughter of the drug dealers. The Predator's killing of the drug lords in the apartment is brief, but he gets to use some nice new toys. The subway encounter is chaotic and bloody, but the failed trap in the slaughterhouse is the best part. Busey and his boys get it bad, and the Predator shows off some more new toys. Of course, the Alien head in the trophy room rocked our worlds in 1990, as did the Dark Horse comic series (which, had Anderson followed, would have made AVP one of the coolest movies ever, instead of a mediocre PG-13, which was a letdown after 15 years of waiting).

9. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    "and she said..well why did you say it twice."
    "I said i didn't!!"

10. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    [face_laugh]

I loived Predator 1 and 2

I saw AvP at midnight with a bunch of friends, when it was over I turned to my friends and said "Didn't we just get here?

11. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    To my dying breath, I will insist that Predator remains Arnuld's finest hour. The film is just really satisfying. They don't make them like this anymore (and they really can't, Sci-Fi has similar themed b-movies and they always turn out awful).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.