main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CONTEST Predict the cumulative total screentime of "The Big 3" in Episode 7!

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by BigAl6ft6, Oct 7, 2013.

?

how much big 3 will we get?

1. less than 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. less than 10

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. less than 20

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. less than 30

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. less than 50

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  6. less than an hour and 10 min

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. less an hour and a half

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  8. 2 hours!

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  9. Every damn scene in the movie will have one of them in it!

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So, I dunno if I can find this thread in a year and a half (or 2 years because then I can grab the blu ray and a stopwatch) but how much will The Big 3 be in Ep. 7, minutes-wise? I'm not talking if Han & Leia are on screen for 3 minutes that counts as 6, but it counts only for 3. So all 3 in a scene, only how long that scene lasts, plus how long Han is in a scene, Luke is in a scene, Han + Luke, Luke + Leia, etc. Don't start detracting individual shots, if they're in a scene, they're in a scene. You know what I mean.

I'm saying around 40 min total. Keep thinking Luke will punch the numbers up in an "Obi-Wan in Ep. 4" kinda way, plus add in Han and Leia to round it up.

Cleo Jinn likes this.
  2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I wasn't sure how to answer this, but I went with less than an hour and a half. Star Wars movies tend to be pretty long, but I think the big 3 will play a major role in this film. They aren't just going to be cameos IMO.

That role might diminish as the trilogy progresses, but this first movie may have quite a bit of the old gang.

Hopefully they restore that sense of fun to Star Wars, too.

Cleo Jinn likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    For the record, I'm assuming the movie will clock in at least 2 hrs. General ballpark similar to the other flicks. Sure as heck ain't gonna be under an hour and a half, y'know?

4. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I think VII will clock in around the two and a half hour mark with the big three featuring heavily in th first third of the film before handing the film over to the next set of characters who will take over the SW story.

5. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013
    I went with less than 20 minutes, kinda going off how in Silence of the Lambs Hannibal Lector played a pivotal role in the film but only had about fifteen minutes of screen time.

Then again, perhaps that would be a more apt comparison for Luke (and potential guiding of young Jedi or what not), though, and the cumulative time for all three would be a bit higher.

6. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    han and leia will play a small role. Luke will die. the question is how far into the film will he die?

7. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I wish they would be in the whole damn film, but I tried to be more realistic and say "less than an hour and half". Of course, that might still be too optimistic, but a fan can dream, right? I'm in the camp that is very psyched to see the Big 3 back in action. They're like rock stars to me. But I'm weird. I'd watch Han and Leia read a phone book for two hours and be content, as long as they stayed in character.

8. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I'm not 100% sold on the idea that they'll kill Luke off in VII....he's to important to the story as the last remaining true Jedi.

I'm picking if he does leave the film it will be along the lines of Yoda going to Dagobah.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke is either going to be Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan (Which means he's doomed mentor but hella screentime in Ep. 7 ala those two in Ep. 1/4) or he's Yoda (the wise overseerer which actually means less screentime overall as the main characters do their business but he's in more movies). Whichever role he falls into would, in turn, affect the total.

10. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    if he's yoda, then he's going to die early enough so 9 or at the end of 8

11. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    I'm going with under 50 minutes but more than 30.....but wait, all three of them or just Luke?
    ...hang on, I'm going to time how long 'Ben' was in Episode 4. I figure we multiply that by three, then subtract 45 minutes. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Total of all 3, if they're in the same scene, it only counts for how long they're in the same scene (not as if since Luke and Han were in a 2 min scene it counts for 4 min, no, only 2 min). I still say, even with Luke probably inflating the numbers, we're still between the 30 to 50 minute mark for a 2 hr movie. (Under 30 total of The Big Three would be surprising but I can see that also happening). I mean, Luke is the main character of ANH but in a 2 hr movie there's probably at least 20 min worth of movie that he's not actually in (Detract the R2/3PO opening and all of the bad guys at the Death Star, 2 scenes with Han and various gangsters, ec.) I'd be surprised if Obi-Wan is in ANH for more than 30 minutes, his screentime is rather, uh, "abruptly cut" shall we say.

13. citizenmilton

citizenmilton Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    1 hour, 41 minutes.

20 mins Carrie Fisher + 20 mins Harrison Ford + 61 mins Mark Hamill.

14. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    20 minutes tops.

15. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    The Big 3 aren't coming back for 5 minute cameos. I fully expect to see them all throughout E7. I also expect someone to die Han Solo in the last act (although in the first act might motivate the plot and amplify the threat/conflict.) Perhaps two major characters.

I expect Lando to be more of a cameo, smaller role.

I also expect at least one survivor into Episode 8, most likely Master Luke.

Lastly, I expect Chewie to surivive all 3 and protect the kids as the continuation of his life debt to Han.

And the unoffical 6th of the Big 6 will be that the Falcon will also be passed on to the Solo kid(s) as well as 7 & 8 - the droids.

So to answer the question at hand I am guessing that the Big 3 will encompass approximatley 2 hours of screen time in a movie that will run about 2 hours and 30 minutes.

16. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    I'd say Luke is gonna get about an hour of screen time

Han maybe 20-30 mins

Leia, with as crazy as Carrie is these days, might get 10-12 mins lol, just have her as a politician somewhere. She's the only member of the big 3 I worry about, as far as acting goes.

And what about Lando? Chewie? Threepio & Artoo?

17. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    101 minutes

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    "Every damn scene in the movie will have one of them in it!"

'nuff said

19. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I expect at least one of the Big 3 to have a prominent role. Probably all three. It would be a waste to have them return just for short cameos, and I highly doubt that would happen. I would like to see the Big 3 have decent character arcs guiding the new generation.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Let's not forget, though, that we at least originally heard that IF they (the big three actors) were not going to sign on, their characters were NOT going to be recast with other actors... meaning that the roles were probably being envisioned as being minor enough that they could be written out if needed.

Julius Vernon and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I still stand by my 40 min total prediction (ballpark it at average 20 min of Luke, 5 min of Leia, 10 min of Han, 5 min of various Big Three combo permutations). For a 2 hour movie where they're clearly not going to be the main characters, that's actually a hellova lot. (still need bad guys doing bad stuff, getting to know the new characters, probably entire action scenes they won't be in, etc.).

Anyway, the meaty subtext of this thread is to basically (from my guess) is to kinda prepare people that, yeah, I highly doubt they'll be in the movie all the way through. Think Old Ben or Yoda or Emperor screentime in ANH or ESB or ROTJ. They're supporting characters (the Emperor is the big bad guy but he isn't in the movie all that much when you compare it to, say, Luke or Han or even Chewie). Unless one or all of the Big Three are actually, like, on the quest with the main characters the entire time. Heck, that didn't work out all that well for Obi-Wan, did it?

22. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm going between an hour and ten minutes and an hour and a half. I expect that Luke will feature prominently and they will probably want to get their money's worth out of Han Solo.

23. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm saying around 40 minutes. I agree with EHT 's reasoning, but I think we'll get a mentor role from Luke.

One thing that came to mind on the need for edits to the script is what if Mark simply decided not to do Ep. VII (I find this highly unlikely, but I'm just throwing it out there). That would impact this prediction greatly.

24. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Hopefully a good amount. Just enough so fans don't feel cheated, but enough so the new characters have room to grow.

LunarMoth likes this.
  25. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    My vote is not a fair vote since I'm voting with new info (which may or may not be accurate). According to an online source, J..J. in his rewrites changed the focus from being on children of the big 3 and put the main focus on Luke, Han, and Leia themselves (which is an approach I'm less in favor of). Hopefully, from my POV, this will prove to be erroneous gossip.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.