main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prediction: Cast Top 10 in terms of screentime...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Okay, I apologize if this is in any way repetitive or just plain stupid. Please don't ban me for it if it isn't good, but here's the idea:

We now have a VERY full cast. So, of those, what will be the top 10 in terms of screentime in your opinion?

My prediction is:
    1. Harrison Ford
    2. Daisy Ridley
    3. John Boyega
    4. Mark Hamill
    5. Adam Driver
    6. Lupita Nyong'o
    7. Carrie Fisher
    8. Domhnall Gleeson
    9. Oscar Isaac
    10. Gwen Christie

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Lupita and Carrie are unlikely to be ahead of Gleeson and Isaac.(especially if 1 of those 2 is the third in new trio)

3. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Definitely not Ford for 1st. I predict a few new characters for 1st place, and Hamill at spot 3 or 4. Ford in perhaps 5 or 6th.

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  4. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    1 John Boyega
    2 Daisy Ridley
    3 Harrison Ford
    4 Domhnall Gleeson
    5 Mark Hamill
    6 Carrie Fisher
    7 Adam Driver
    8 Lupita Nyong'o
    9 Oscar Isaac
    10 Gwendoline Christie

Not listed:
    Max von Sydow
    Andy Serkis
    Anthony Daniels
    Peter Mayhew

J.J. is confusing us by throwing so many cast members at us. :)

5. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Lupita and Carrie are unlikely to be ahead of Gleeson and Isaac.(especially if 1 of those 2 is the third in new trio)

Dunno-talk and apparently efforts in getting Nyong'o went on for quite some time-even before the Oscars (no pun intended there). It seems like they had a big part that they specifically wanted for her and seemed willing to wait quite a while in order to get her into that role.I doubt it's a smaller role.

Carrie-it's very hard to tell but I placed her at #7 because I don't think she'll actually do much other than be a politician-maybe somewhere between the screentime of Palpatine and Valorum in TPM. So you could be very right with that one.

For Oscar-I just don't see him being a major major player. I have him as a Mandalorian pirate or terrorist or something that ends up being a secondary, one film villain, making way for others like Driver and Christie.

Notice I didn't put Sydow on the list. He'll be important, but I think he'll start and get axed off.

I really had NO idea where to put Domhnall. I envision a Scottie-type appearance toward the end of the film and getting more important later in the saga.

My head's exploding with the cast size. Fitting all of these people in WITH the Big3 and Chewie and Threepio is absolutely mind boggling. The main cast thread is bogged down and doesn't even stay on page 1 anymore.

My hope was for this thread to be an all encompassing discussion on how the heck they are going to juggle 13 main cast members.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  6. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    According to most reports the main cast of VII are all the actors announced with the table read picture (including Sydow) so anybody else like Lupita and Gwen Chrsitie are supporting roles/characters.

7. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Right now, I can only be somewhat sure that Daisy and Boyega are in the top 3, being the villain (Driver, Isaac?) the other one left.
    Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill come next.
    Chemie will probably play along with Harrison.
    Threepio & Artoo will be wondering all over the place as usual.

About the rest, I haven't got the slightest idea.

8. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Daisy
    John
    Harrison
    Adam
    Mark
    Max
    Carrie
    Oscar
    Lupita
    Domhnall
    Gwendoline

9. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Same order as I would have it.

10. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    No Andy Serkis? The guy would probably play countless characters throughout the movie.

11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Ridley
    Boyega
    Issac
    Ford
    Driver
    Hamill
    Gleeson
    Fisher
    Nyong'o
    Van Sydow
    Christie
    Serkis
    Daniels
    Mayhew

12. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    1. Harrison Ford
    2. Mark Hamill
    3. John Boyega
    4. Daisy Ridley
    5. Adam Driver
    6. Max von Sydow
    7. Lupita Nyong'o
    8. Oscar Isaac
    9. Domnhall Gleeson
    10. Carrie Fisher

13. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I believe the movie will focus on the new characters with the OT characters taking the Obi-wan and Han role in screentime.

14. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    All I can assume is that some of these actors are in bit/peripheral roles... because as it stands at the moment, there's too many to contribute to full and active parts. I've always been adamant that whoever is the focus of the overall story, be it Luke or offspring, should have consistent focus throughout.

In my mind, the 2 films that get the character numbers and proportioned focus spot on are ANH and TESB... Within ANH we get Luke, Han, Leia, Obi-Wan, the droids, Chewie, Vader and Tarkin... In TESB we get Luke, Han, Leia, Yoda (replacing Obi-Wan) the droids, Chewie, Vader and Lando (Boba Fett at a push).

ANH and TESB show not only consistency of character, and their relative focus, but they also contain the amount of characters on screen. As it stands, the cast for Ep VII is either seriously over populated or many of them will be peripheral (as in Uncle Owen, General Veers amount of screen time). This has always been one of my major concerns of the ST...

15. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Think about Harry Potter for a moment. LOTR is a bad example because the movies are SO long, but HP is a great place to look for big ensembles.

Let's take a typical HP movie:

Primaries: Harry, Hermione, Ron
    Older Primaries: Dumbledore, McGonnagal, Snape
    Support: Hagrid, Malfoy, Neville, Mr. & Mrs. Weasley, Dudley Dersely, Mr. Dersley
    Additional Support in some movies: Lupin, Sirius, Lucius, Various Weasley brothers, Jenny
    Villains: Voldemort (in various incarnations), sometimes Peddigrew and Bellatrix
    Plus a couple of creatures here and there and one-time appearances

Now, granted after the first movie, you didn't need introductions to the main cast, but they still had plenty of screentime. Just look at the first movie and while you can eliminate about 5 or 6 of the above, you still had about a dozen of so characters that were important.

Not everyone can be primary leads. But support roles can be on screen for a short time and have very crucial roles in those short times. I hope that's at least the case with Lupita and Gwendoline even if they have support roles that can hopefully be built upon in the following movies.

Lurknomore and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    First four is probably the two leads, the show stealing villain and Han.

1. Daisy Ridley
    2. John Boyega
    3. Adam Driver
    4. Harrison Ford
    5. Mark Hamill
    6. Carrie Fisher
    7. Domhnall Gleeson
    8. Oscar Isaac
    9. Max von Sydow
    10. Andy Serkis

17. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    EDIT: Nothing to see here

18. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Based on the unfortunate rumors of Solo being the superstar of the big 3 now, this is my prediction:

1. Daisy Ridley
    2. John Boyega
    3. Harrison Ford
    4. Adam Driver
    5. Domhnall Gleeson
    6. Oscar Isaac
    7. Andy Serkis
    8. Carrie Fisher
    9. Peter Mayhew
    10. Anthony Daniels

Harrison Ford will stay with the young leads through the movie obviously and will take all the big action scenes. All the big Jedi moments will go to the young leads. Carrie Fisher will get some more screentime than Mark Hamill because if Solo's role is bigger, one would think there will be some more Leia and Solo scenes. Peter Mayhew's Chewie would expectedly be tagging along with Han Solo but wont get the screentime, but I can see Chewie be more onscreen than Luke. And I would think R2 and Threepio would be gong with the new young leads as well. I didnt include Kenny Baker because I think there will be a mix of him with fully robotic and CGI R2 in the movie. My guess is that MVS will have a "palpatine" type role in this movie. Important but small to start with. I think either Andy Serkis or Adam Driver will be the main villian(s). I gotta feeling Luke's role has significantly been reduced thanks to Harrison Ford's demands and rumored script rewrites. Luke's either gonna be killed off early or he's staying home in this movie. If that latter is the case hopefully he'll have a role to play in Ep 8 and maybe Ep 9. You can thank Harrison Ford for lowering my expectations for this movie.

19. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    1. Boyega
    2. Ridley
    3. Hamill
    4. Ford
    5. Gleeson
    6. Isaac
    7. Driver
    8. Fisher
    9. Mayhew
    10. Serkis
    11. Lupita
    12. Van Sydow
    13. Christie

Note that I have left off the two droids, so they will naturally fit in there in some capacity, likely as big as they were in the OT. Also, my prediction is that Gleeson is the 3rd member of the trio ala Hayden in the prequels, however he will have a slightly smaller role in this one and then become the central figure ala Anakin and Luke in the first two trilogies in VIII and IX.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

THX_1138biggs and starocean90 like this.
  20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Based on the rumors we've heard so far:

1. John Boyega
    2. Daisy Ridley
    3. Harrison Ford
    4. Adam Driver
    5. Oscar Isaac
    6. Carrie Fisher
    7. Domhnall Gleeson
    8. Mark Hamill
    9. Lupita Nyong'o
    10. Gwendoline Christie
    7. Andy Serkis
    9. Peter Mayhew
    10. Max von Sydow
    11. Anthony Daniels

I would say 9-11 will be hard to judge and may end up having close to equal time throughout among them.

21. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    My billing :
    Boyega
    Ridley
    Nyong'o
    Driver
    Ford
    Hamill
    Fisher
    Issac
    Daniels
    Mayhew
    Serkis
    Gleeson
    Baker
    Christie
    Van Sydow

22. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I can see Luke as showing up toward the end of the film. Unlike the last two older mentor types, he won't be in the entire film but rather, after teasing the entire movie, he shows up. Think Yoda in AOTC in the arena/Geonosis scenes only. The audience goes nuts, Luke gets some crucial fighting scenes, breaks the mold of the older mentor dying. It's a huge pay off in the film because you wait the entire film to see him. ( I guess like Godzilla in his own movie).

Therefore I am reworking my list:

1. Boyega
    2. Ridley
    3. Ford
    4. Driver
    5. Fisher
    6. Gleeson
    7. Nyong'o
    8. Hamill
    9. Isaac
    10. Christie

I see Isaac in a Jango Fett type role.

Lurknomore likes this.
  23. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    It'll be two hours of Jar Jar frolicking in the woods with the Ewoks. Everyone else will get about 5 minutes worth of screen time.

24. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    and what about Jar Jar's kids?;)

25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I think a bunch of people are going to be shocked with how much more screen time Hamill gets than what they think

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.