main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Preferred format for fan-fic archives?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Lyart_Triath, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyart_Triath

Lyart_Triath Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    I'm working on a couple of fan-fic archives-- one SW one Gneral fan-fic. Well, whilte in teh middle of a yet another coding rebuild, I got to wondering: What's better, putting the fics into the actual HTML layout of the site, or storing them in plain/rich text format that opens outsid e the site's normal layout?

Personally I prefer reading fics in .txt or .rtf format, or if they are in HTML not bound up by the site's layout-- unless it's a very barebones/slim layout that doesn't make the fic content narrow. But since I'm doing this more for more people than just myself, I was wondering what the average on opinions was.

Thanks in advance,

2. Lord_RJ

Lord_RJ Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2003
    If you use HTML the pages will be very long.......

3. Lyart_Triath

Lyart_Triath Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    That's one of the reason I"m leaning more and more towards .txt and .rtf; HTML(ized) fixs tend to scroll to doomsday and kicked back and just look bad and are hard to read if the fic is more than 10 or so pages long.

4. Lord_RJ

Lord_RJ Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2003
    yeah...I would go .txt and .rtf

5. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I think .txt would be better. The only thing is that I think you have to manually enter a carriage return at the end of every line, because it doesn't automatically wrap to the next line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.