main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Preferred Series Finale? ("The Wrong Jedi" vs "Sacrifice")

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Mr. Atom Bomb, Apr 12, 2014.

?

Which did you prefer as a series finale?

1. "The Wrong Jedi"

25.4%
  2. "Sacrifice"

56.3%
  3. I fail to grasp the concept of one-or-the-other questions and assert that they're both awful.

7.0%
  4. I also fail to grasp the concept of one-or-the-other questions, but assert that they're both great.

11.3%
  1. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Which of the two do you feel was a more a fitting conclusion to the show on the whole? I just want to gauge opinions here- it's not entirely common for a series to have two distinct endings and I'm curious how other fans feel about the situation. Do you consider "The Wrong Jedi" the true finale and the BC just a little bit of dessert, or do you think "Sacrifice" is the better swan song and should be regarded as such?

Personally, I'm in favor of "The Wrong Jedi" being regarded as the true finale. It concluded Ahsoka's tutelage under Anakin, and considering what a large part of the show that was I feel like it is a more relevant ending.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm tempted to vote "they're both awful" just for the hell of it, and I didn't like either episode.

But I definitely prefer "Sacrifice" as a series finale. The show had more characters in it than Ahsoka, and Sacrifice gave a more comprehensive ending and a better lead-up to ROTS.

JackG likes this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    "Sacrifice" definitely makes more sense as a series finale.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I think Sacrifice is the better episode end on after 4 episodes of mythology exploration and ending with Yoda just feels right. Its just like how the show started with Ambush. It serves its purpose as an ending although an unsatisfying one.

Vialco likes this.
  5. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014
    For me it was the Wrong Jedi. The reason is because even though the series was TCW there seemed to be more of a deeper dive into Anakin as a character and with that Ahsoka helped tremendously to develop. I think knowing what we know now (there being close to 8 seasons worth of material total) there was probably a different series finale. Is there anywhere from the higher ups at Lucasfilm saying that the Yoda Arc would have been the actual finale?

6. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    "The Wrong Jedi" works as an ending for one character. It may have been the main original character of the series, but by no means was the show meant to be a showcase for that one character alone. The story closes the book on Ahsoka Tano in a satisfying enough manner (and contributes a little more fuel for Anakin's downfall), but otherwise accomplishes little else in my view.

Setting aside for a moment the fact that even in a vacuum, I feel the Yoda arc was executed many, many times greater than the Fugitive arc ever was, "Sacrifice" (and its preceding episodes), by nature of it's farther reach, encompasses a much larger view of the SW saga and it's characters, and works almost as if it were envisioned from the start as a proper series-ender.

I would have liked to have been able to see TCW dovetail into the start of ROTS, but short of that, "Sacrifice" gives me just about everything I'd have hoped for in a finale. While acknowledging the dark times to come, the episode even manages to send the series off on a note of hope.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I prefer The Wrong Jedi. Just as it wasn't all about Ahsoka, it not all about Yoda, either. I thought it was *fabulous* that Ahsoka left the Order. It shows you don't not have Force-Sensitivity if you aren't a Jedi or Sith. A worthy thing I want to see more of. Plus, Tarkin did make a strong case which I likewise found worthy.

Vader'sGoodHand likes this.
  8. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Has to be Sacrifice. The Wrong Jedi was pretty bull**** heavy, imo. Screwing with Barriss, making the council look like a bunch of dicks, making Padme a lawyer all of the sudden (wtf, Padme cannot do everything), etc. The ending worked well enough for an Ahsoka send-off I guess, but meh all around.

Sacrifice had a ton of cool stuff (ignoring the "Moraband" ****), and gave a pretty good go at giving some kind of closure on the OJO as a whole, not even just Yoda.

9. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Girl, you said it.

I avoided the temptation at authoring a laundry list of my issues with the Fugitive arc, but some things are just so stupid, we shouldn't let them slide without comment.

Look, if I'm on trial for my life, there's no question I'd love to have, for example, one of my US Senators standing with me in an informal role. Regardless of whether I agreed with their particular brand of politics, having someone like that in my corner could obviously prove invaluable.

But you know what? Even though they are both former litigators, I wouldn't want Charles Schumer or Kirsten Gillibrand to suddenly show up in court and act as my attorney. First, they could do far more for me using whatever influence they may have to help my cause in an informal manner, either publically, or quietly behind the scenes, than they ever could acting as my legal defense. But more to the point, a quick look at the FAQ on Schumer's web page shows that they couldn't take the job even if they wanted to:

"Can you help me with a legal problem I'm having?

Unfortunately, we can't. Senate rules prohibit our office from giving legal advice or intervening in pending legal proceedings. If you need to find a lawyer, you should contact the American Bar Association's Correspondence Unit at (312) 988-5522 and they can help you."

Now, I'm all for flexibility in storytelling. Honest engine. I think bending the "rules" a bit is worth it if a better story is the result. And I know, I know: "Well, maybe it's just different in the GFFA" (oh yeah, I've used that one on myself more times than I care to remember). Others may be tempted to say "if you're looking for realism in SW, you're looking in the wrong place." But come on. TCW was a show which was made for an Earthly audience to identify with and which did strive for some semblance of believability. It was never meant to be entirely fantastic or incredible.

Placing Padme (Padme!), a person whom we'd never known to have had even a modicum of legal training or experience, into the role of counselor was perhaps the most transparent, ham-fisted act of forcing a character into a story the show was ever guilty of (and believe me, that's saying something). I literally laughed out-loud and rolled my eyes to the heavens (and no one will ever be able to convince me that this was the intent behind the move).

And besides that, she was terrible! Let's face it, if Anakin doesn't kick in the doors with a loose-lipped Offee in tow, Ahsoka Tano was a goner. Wilhuff Tarkin had them absolutely by the short-hairs.

I don't know, I never meant to unleash a mini-diatribe on the merits of the Fugitive arc as a story here, guys. There were some things about it I enjoyed, after all. But jeesh! Sometimes some things just really stick in your craw, you know? And I don't think I ever even mentioned anything about Padme in the original thread for the arc.

No, as I recall, I was just too dumbfounded by Barriss to focus on much else. :p

10. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    The Wrong Jedi acts as a finale to a main character, and one of the only main characters who we won't see in the movies. It's a lot of a character/The Clone Wars series finale.

However, Sacrifice is about the Force, Yoda, and leading up to ROTS and Yoda going into hiding and learning about Force Ghosts. I say that Sacrifice works more as a finale on an epic, end of the Lucas era which just happens to be The Clone Wars.

So....both I guess.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  12. thank

thank Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 8, 2013
    watching season 6 I had completely forgot ahsoka even existed prior to her cameo in the yoda arc and it made me realise how much more I would have enjoyed the series without her... sacrifice was better in my opinion

13. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Contrary to Filoni's thin endorsement, neither episodes are fitting conclusions to the show. "The Wrong Jedi" is a great ending to Ahsoka's story; "Sacrifice" isn't an ending at all. Both are good episodes.

14. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I loved both equally, in that they both moved me. I refuse to choose.

credar likes this.
  15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Basically this.

16. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Well the obvious answer to me is "Orders".

17. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    While I certainly enjoyed both episodes, I would have to vote for Sacrifice. The latter, IMO, was one of the best episodes in the entire series, and the Yoda arc as a whole, I felt was a very fitting if not entirely satisfactory conclusion to TCW.

As has already been stated in this thread, The Wrong Jedi was a fitting conclusion to the story of a single character, Ahsoka Tano, and helped to further develop Anakin's eventual fall, at least to a degree. However, Sacrifice and the two preceding episodes offered ample foreshadowing of what was to come not only in RotS, as most of the series has been building towards, but also the birth of a new hope and other key events of the OT that would ultimately result in the Jedi's final (?) victory over the (Banite) Sith. The Yoda arc provided the insight that would transform Master Yoda from a fearless leader of a war-ravaged organization in the PT to a world-weary, wizened but eminently wise recluse during TESB. It expanded upon the brief deleted RotS scene when Qui-Gon contacts Yoda to complete his training into how to become a Force ghost. Both developments are huge for the saga as a whole. Whereas The Wrong Jedi only closed the book (perhaps only temporarily) on Ahsoka's story in TCW, and had its fair share of flaws that stunted my overall enjoyment of that particular arc (Barriss' highly-choreographed and not well-thought out fall being most prominent, among other things), Sacrifice and the rest of the Yoda arc completely exceeded my already high expectations and really felt like a worthy if unintended wrap-up to a series that, for all its up and downs, I have to say I'd look back on rather fondly. Not to mention, it seems very fitting to end the series like it began―with a Yoda-focused episode. The Yoda arc contributed highly to my positive overall opinion of the series, and I sure think it ended on a high note.

18. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    I much preferred Sacrifice over The Wrong Jedi. Sacrifice felt like a much better closure that dealt with far more important things than a Padawan leaving the Jedi Order.

19. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    The knowledge of Order 66 reverses the meaning of both episodes.

"The Wrong Jedi" was downbeat on the face of it, but we know Ahsoka's departure makes it much more likely that she will survive Order 66 and Anakin's initial un-Vader-suited rampage.

The "Yoda arc" was upbeat in that a wise character goes on a quest, overcomes evil, and gains even greater wisdom -- score one for the good guys! -- but we know what Yoda learned won't save the Jedi from slaughter or the Republic from 20 years of darkness.

Neither episode is really all that complete of an ending, not do I need one. I consider the Order 66 montage in ROTS as the real ending to The Clone Wars, the show, as well as to the clone wars, the wars.

20. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I prefer "Sacrifice." As said before, I think "The Wrong Jedi" is a good finale for the Ahsoka character, just not for the show as a whole. "Sacrifice," although it was unintended as the finale, works very well as one, despite some of the loose ends the show hasn't tied up. "Sacrifice" was the conclusion of, dare I say it, one of the most important stories in the Star Wars Saga, and helped bridge some of the gaps between the PT and the OT. I enjoyed it a lot.

I think rdhight makes a good point about Episode III being the true ending too. The Clone Wars, given that it was set between two films, was never going to have a true ending. Some of the stories it was building towards were never going to be resolved in the series. So given that even a planned series finale would've felt incomplete on some levels, I think "Sacrifice" is as good a point to end it on as any. Like I said before, it doesn't resolve all the stories of the show (even ones that aren't in Episode III), but its importance to the overall saga and the way it leads into the events of Episode III make it a great, albeit unintended, ending.

21. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I'm gonna have to go with 'The Wrong Jedi' here.

22. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I voted "The Wrong Jedi."

"Sacrifice" was an intriguing final, but ending the series on Morriban (why wasn't it Korriban?) where the Sith dwelt and the power of the Dark Side is strongly felt did not seem like a very fitting place to end the series. I prefer that the series end at the steps of the Jedi Temple, because it is great foreshadowing that one day Anakin will be walking up the steps Ahsoka is going down and end the reign of the Jedi on Courcant and most of the Galaxy.

23. princethomas

princethomas Jedi Master star 2

Nov 19, 2001
    Definitely The Wrong Jedi. Ahsoka was the heart and soul of the show. Even if her existence was mostly just to force development if Anakin and the Jedi as a whole, the show was her vehicle for doing so.

While I was bummed by the shows cancelation like everyone, I was thrilled to get such a perfect ending. I wanted the bonus episodes but was afraid they might undo the good work of the final 8 episodes. They did not so I'm fine with Sacrifice.

The Ahsoka episodes will always feel like the end to me.

I'm recommending to friends that they watch both the Clovis arc and the Jar Jar Mace arc as part of season 5. Making the Ahsoka arc the finale and the Order 66/ Yoda arcs like a big bonus movie.

Kato Sai and Vader'sGoodHand like this.
  24. Smile_youS.O.B

Smile_youS.O.B Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2014
    I really enjoyed both episodes. The final few minutes of "Sacrifice" made it seem like more of a final episode, but other than that. They both are good and it's tough to choose.

25. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
    the yoda arc was totaly useless. only a handfull people understands the hidden messages. there is no reason for anyone else to watch that.