main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Preheat oven to 340 degrees, grease pans thoroughly...

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Hey all. This is a planning thread for our next several activities, following the model (but without quite so many colour changes and highlighting) Tipoca City's Activities planning thread.

So, here are some ideas for what we can get together to do, with some dates tossed into the mix. Feel free to have your say regarding any or all of these, and we'll plan accordingly.

:)

*Derisa*

Laser Tag (perhaps a cross-chapter challenge with Vancouver?)

Laser Bowling (during adult slots)

Movie (suggestions welcome)

Gaming Night (PS, XBox, ?gaming platform of your choice?)

RPG Night

???

2. Alakin_Marshwalker

Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Time for the joy of list based posting...

1. Laser Tag-Sounds great...if we still need research done on times and rates...I have plenty of free time at the moment.

2. Laser Bowling-I had ball with this the first time...despite the little kids. So this was definetly a repeat activity

3. Movie-Movies are always an easy thing to plan...20 bucks plus a membership at Rogers equals an open evening of excitement.

4. Gaming Night-I have the PS2 and Gamecube...If I had more controllers for the GC I would suggest renting Mario Party 4 or something like that. I do have the multitap for the PS2 though and plenty of Controllers. So if anyone knows any decent to good multiplayer PS games, that would work too.

5. RPG Night-My circle is pretty big on all this stuff. I know and have played several systems, ranging from D&D to Call of Cthulu. If we were to focus on the Star Wars Games, My friends have both the Westend and D20 versions. None of us really know enough about Star Wars to run a storyline accurate game, but we can fudge that stuff if enough people are interested.

6. ????-Now comes the hard part, trying to come up with new activities. I know at the first few meetings we discussed doing stuff for charities. In my mind, being a Star Wars fan club, we should try to do as many of these activities in some sort of costume or such. IE: A car wash would be a fairly easy setup. Members unable or unwilling to do costumes could do the washing while those in costumes get to flag people down. Charity activities are easy enough to plan, it is just a matter of choosing a charity to benefit from our efforts. For a total nerdy option, we could start a book discussion club. I think we have enough avid readers to make a go of it at least.

That is about it for thinking for me at this time. On a totally unrelated sidenote, Caramel Frappucino's are Starbucks answer to Ambrosia.

3. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Laser Tag-Sounds great...if we still need research done on times and rates...I have plenty of free time at the moment.

It would appear that research remains undone, so go for it, Alakin, and thank you for volunteering! If you could post your findings in a new thread, we'll all be able to discuss and organize it from there. If you're feeling particularly ambitious, feel free to phone around a few places to get price comparisons. You rock, Alakin!

After we finish spring-cleaning my house, I'd be totally willing to host a weekly RPG night. Finding a GM might be a challenge, but if someone is willing to loan him the books, my husband *might* be willing to GM...I'd have to give him time to think about it, though.

Lazer-bowling...personally I could do without all the kids around, but I'd be up for that again. Let's get those club T-shirts done up so we can let people know who we are without tripping over Jedi robes (the whole costume thing is kinda spoiled with having to wear those bowling shoes, anyway). ;)

As for movie nights, I think it would be fun to have themed nights: we can narrow the focus on a particular genre, historical period, director, or actor, for instance.

As an additional suggestion, with the weather warming up, (oh, I love Victoria in February, with the cherry trees blossoming!) how do folks feel about doing some outdoor activities like mini-golf or or trail horseback riding?

- Rani

4. Sionnach_Dearg

Sionnach_Dearg Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    Um, yeah, I've been working entierly too much lately, and it always seems like I'm trying to catch up on sleep (got a couple of costume/garb projects on the go in what spare time I can muster) but I'm usually free on fridays and saturday afternoons...unless they change my scedule yet again...

Lots of fun-sounding suggestions, especially the outdoor activities - I've been feeling the ned to get out-of-doors more of late myself, and trail riding sounds like a wonderful idea, though perhaps more difficult than some of the others to arrange? I don't know. Anyway, I am still quite alive (although sometimes in more of a zombie state) and I'd love to get together when I can.

5. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Trail-riding! Yay! :)

Actually that's not too hard to arrange: I have all the contact info for all of the rental stables here in Victoria, and I would be happy to call around to get prices and such for a group of us going out. I'd even be willing to add in a half-hour lesson for anyone wanting to brush the rust off their skills. :) I'll do that price-checking when I get back from Vancouver.

These are some great ideas! I can be counted in for all of the above, and furthermore, if I can get my hands on the books, I'd be happy to GM an RPG, either a one day thing or an ongoing adventure.

We should have a meeting next week to lay final plans: can any of you make it to Alzu's for a Wednesday or Thursday night calendar planning session? We'll do all our respective price research, and then share it all at the meeting? (I'll need replies as to which evening would be better, as I will have to e-mail out the info to the rest of the membership.)

Thanks! Chat soon!

*Derisa*

6. Sionnach_Dearg

May 16, 2002
    Well, as to a wed or thurs night meeting, I'm usually working those days, but given a few days warning on time and date I coudl arrange to end a shift early one night, so really either one is the same from my standpoint.

7. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Both nights are good for me.

8. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm good either day, Derisa. :)

- Rani

9. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    I think Thursday will do, then. What say 8pm at Alzu's?

*Derisa*

10. TR0773

TR0773 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2003
    Since I have only met one of you I am pretty much open to anything just to meet the rest of you! No one mentioned a paintball game? I play off and on and if I can do it I'm sure most everyone else can. Also I have a very impressive collection of Star Wars figs from West End games so if anyone is into some 3D boardgaming I'd be into that! Another suggestion is a Star WArs oufit building night! Wanna put together your Star Wars outfit, need ideas wanna do some brainstorming, or just get together and show off your work with pride! I'm tryin to get around to an imperial officers jacket myself!
    As a member of the 501st I am also looking to recruit members (Imperials/Rebels/Denizens/Bounty Hunters etc.), to build up participation on the West coast any excuse to get out into the public in our Star Wars outfits, check out Titan Garrison in Seattle, they are very pro active in their community,this would include charities special promotions from the stores release of Episode 3 etc.
    Also there is a Rebel Fan club called the dewbackwing.com that is pretty interesting online. It speciallizes in Costumes Rebels, Props and Role Playing.
    Anyway I hope some of you are interested in joining the 501st or like some of my ideas.

Randy

11. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    We're always open to new ideas for both activites and fan groups, for sure. In fact, just a few meetings ago we were discussing alternatives to our group being a FanForce chapter, so please don't hesitate to tell us all about the 501st or other fan groups out there when we finally get to meet in person, as I know it will be of an interest to some!

I haven't done paintball in years, and then it was in an indoor arena in Vancouver. I know we've got outdoor paintball places out in Metchosin and Sooke, but I'd want to wait until the weather warms up a bit before I try outdoor paintball for the first time. Does anyone have an idea of how much equipment typically costs to rent at one of those places?

12. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Paintball! I have never played, but boy howdy, wouldn't that be a hoot! When the weather warms up, totally count me in! :)

*Derisa*

13. TR0773

TR0773 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2003
    I am a member of Victoria Paintball I've been to Stormin Normans field (many moons ago) and there is a couple newer fields that have opened recently. Prices needless to say are very competitive, and a couple will most undoubtedly close in a couple years, this area can only support 2 maybe 3 fields. If you like capture the flag, attack and defend style games I encourage Victoria Paintball they have a relaxed atmosphere, 2 different fields the upper field is very well forested the lower has some Excellent buildings some challenging terrain including a creek, they cater to both the semi auto player, and the ammo conscious pump action player. A day here will have you retelling stories for a week! I can't speak for the other fields as I have not been to them yet! Vic paint ball has some excellent package deals and in the warmer weather they have a hot dog and hamburger stand as well. They are very safety oriented and you can play side by side with your kids (I personally would like mine (if I had any) on the other side) if you have any. So after all that is Thursday still a go?

Randy

14. Gesh_Bomil

Gesh_Bomil Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    well, i'd love to attend the paintball but alas...i've just dumped a load of spice i was unknowingly hauling for the Black Sun's and have to stay away for some more time. I'd love to continue the roleplaying when i get back but the group seems to be a bit large now. Two groups seems to be best (SW club group and my regular RPG group). Then i can devise one or two night (or all day) games to play.
    For those who don't know Rani and Derisa were participating in my ongoing campaign before i left to the Gulf with the Canadian Navy. The threads that they have in the plot can easily go there own way as well as the two remaining Jedi Padawans who participated in the one day game at my place. That brings it to four (if everyone is still interested) and can play with one more, perhaps two depending on their character types. Are the four remaining players still interested? Email me or post.

Gesh (Jason Gauthier)

15. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Gesh!!! Dood!

Rani says hi! ;)

So good to hear from you! We miss ya man (and the RPing too... but mostly you!)

Rani and I (and Dara and Argis) are definitely still up for playing when you get back, so stay in touch! :)

*Derisa*

16. Sionnach_Dearg

May 16, 2002
    So, Randy, you've only met one of us, have you? Do you remember around October, that comic and sci-fi convention? If you were the one manning the booth there, then you've met two of us. Do you remember a girl with an inhumanly large boomerang?
    ;)
    Yup, that was me! I'm an Anime nut as well as being deeply into Star Wars.

17. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm very much looking forward to meeting Randy this evening, and from the feedback I've been getting it sounds as though we'll have quite a solid turn-out of our currently most active members at Alzu's.

I've finished writing the meeting agenda, which hopefully I can coax my printer to print out without having to resort to shelling out money for Office Depot to use their printing service. ([grumble]sithly piece of machinery, you were working fine this morning![/grumble])

The agenda is fairly long, and includes items such as our activity calendar, ideas for increasing forum activity, communication & activities with other FanForce Chapters and non-FanForce SW clubs, and several other topics.

See everyone later! We have much to discuss tonight. Good thing Alzu's never closes! ;)

- Rani

Edit: typo.
    (Whew, I have to be fast these days. My five minutes of editing time were almost up!!)

18. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Hey everyone!

At the meeting, we had several people volunteer to look into the various activities we discussed: I said I'd look into the horseback riding.

here's what I have: there are three facilities that do rentals in driving range. One is in Sidney, one in Saanich, and one up the Malahat. The two in the GVA do lessons as well as trails, and are willing to let me assist in that, so we can all have a good time out there. The prices run from $25 an hour to $35 an hour, with the place up the Malahat charging $55 for an hour and a half.

The place in Saanich has an indoor arena to ride in, if the weather is gross, and the owner is perfectly comfortable with us doing some horseback games like a flag race or pole-bending, once we are all comfortable in the saddle.

What do you guys think?

Anyone done their research yet? Post it here!

*Derisa*

19. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Hi everyone,

I've had a thought or two.... Unless I'm mistaken, I seem to recall - Alakin, you said that you have a Nintendo Game Cube, right? Got it for your birthday, I take it? Well, I got this coupon book for Rogers Video for Christmas, and have used a great many of them already....but some still remain, and they should really be taken advantage of before the expiry date (March 31st, and thus I know it's a bit close to the wire to be bringing this up, but never mind) - and, well....all this being said....what would you say to possibly renting a game or two for a gaming night, appropriately enough? I've heard great things about the "Clone Wars" game....

I've also tried out "Jedi Outcast" and "Jedi Starfighter" myself, though I think those are only available on the XBox system, not on the Game Cube, for whatever strange reason....but those two *are* quite enjoyable and very well-done as well....and certainly worth a try, especially with at least two people playing at once....either in a free-for-all setting or as part of a team....definitely fun, as I remember it.

So, how does something like this sound? Of interest, possibly? (again, keep in mind that the expiry date on these coupons is March 31st, so the clock's ticking....hate to put the pressure on, but....you know....)

Oh, also....with these coupons I've got....is there a movie that we might be interested in renting, again before the expiry date, and thus having a movie night....or some such thing....possibly combining it with a gaming-type thing as well? (I will mention here that it might be more comfortable for some folks to see something like, say, "The Ring", in such circumstances....that way one can turn the movie off for a time, or step away from it for a few minutes, just in case things get too freaky....besides, it's much more fun to see such things with friends, I should think) :) Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? I merely thought I should mention what I have to contribute in this regard, in case anyone's interested in taking advantage of it....I do hope so....

Dawn.

20. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Upping this because I'm not sure if anyone saw it the first time around....and I was hoping for, perhaps, a spot o' feedback on the suggestion or two that I made.... (yes, it requires a bit of scrolling down in the thread, but I do hope that's not the reason this one fell down the list a ways)....I do hope it hasn't been missed! *confused*

Once again, all feedback on the suggested ideas I came up with in my previous post, much appreciated....especially since they are kind of time-sensitive.... :) Thanks,

Dawn.

21. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    I recently aquired a VCR for a while and have a hankering to watch EP4-6. Marathon session is fine by me but I could also handle 3 seperate viewing sessions. I only own the special edition versions so purists would have to supply their own cassettes. Any interest at all?

22. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    Sounds good to me, Alakin! When's good for you? I'm busy evenings until Saturday, although Derisa's out of town this weekend. Perhaps a weeknight next week?

By the way, if you are interested in the original versions of Ep. 4-6, Derisa owns them. I'm good either way, personally, although I do enjoy seeing the extra footage in the special editions. :)

- Rani

23. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    A week night next week sounds great to me. I also enjoy the extra footage, but if we get enough purists, I am willing to watch the originals. I am willing to plan once we get some more input.

24. Vills-Kavic

Vills-Kavic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2003
    A Star Wars night???? (ears perk up) Well hello everyone, I'm here to see it! Alakin, if you can't get the VCR again I can always bring mine, it's not hard to get to your place anyhow.

I don't really know where I stand on the purist scale, but I have the original trilogy as well. It's been a while since I saw the Rereleased, so maybe that's where I'll put my vote. But basically put, count me in for an evening of watching ALL THREE in a row! :D For me a good night next week would be a Wednesday.

I look forward to it!

-Vills

25. Gesh_Bomil

Gesh_Bomil Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    It's a shame i'm not in Victoria right now, i could bring my copies of the Special Edition release...on disk.

Gesh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.