main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Premiere of the Week: Duplex

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Alakin_Marshwalker, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alakin_Marshwalker

Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Ok, time for a quick change of format. The week for which a premiere is "POTW" is from friday to friday. Thus, the POTW will be updated every saturday. With that being said, this week is for Sept 26-Oct 3. And the lucky winner is Duplex

2. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    As posted in the other Victoria, I only have two comments on this movie. ;)

1. [face_shocked] :D [face_love]
    2. Magneto, I love you. Marry me.

3. Vills-Kavic

Vills-Kavic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2003
    Well, I would say that we should go see it on a date after the premiere... Merely to avoid the huge rush on the first night! Sound off on who's interested?

-Vills

4. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, what about a weekday matinee....if they're still running those somewhere, like at Silvercity, for instance? That time of day is usually at least *somewhat* less insane....at least in my experience. :) Admittedly it does depend on the film in question....but I'm merely throwing the possibility out there. :) Also, matinees....mucho cheaper....*big* benefit there, in my book. And, also, in my pocketbook. ;)

Dawn. (who does have a $10 gift certificate to - I think it's the Odeon chain - but I've already resolved to use each $5 certificate on "Shattered Glass" and "Intolerable Cruelty" when they come out later this year, natch) :)

5. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Weekday matinees aren't possible for those that have work or school during that time. As for cost, Silver City is much more expensive, for tickets as well as refreshments, than the downtown theatres.

I would have posted the info for the premiere night earlier, but the showtimes haven't been available online or in the newspaper - I've looked. ;) All the schedules listed are good until Thursday, and of course X-2 doesn't start until Friday. Personally, I'd like to go see it on premiere night, and to heck with the crowds! Hey, lining up for a movie isn't just something you do once every three years! We need the practice for Episode 3! [face_laugh] Besides, the wait isn't so bad when you're waiting with friends to pass the time with, so who's with me this Friday? Hopefully, we can do the same thing for Matrix next week!

Anyone know yet when it's playing and at which theatre(s)? I had to leave for work before seeing this morning's paper...

- Rani

6. Vills-Kavic

Mar 8, 2003
    I agree with you, Rani, I can't go for movies on the weekdays due to my work schedule! The information on the date and times isn't posted yet, as it still seems to be too far away....? Hmm, that's odd. I'll edit this post when I find the times!

-Vills

7. C4-One25

C4-One25 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2003
    I'll agree.....daytime showings are out for me considering my daylight consuming work schedule......my preference is the later the better

8. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Hey, me and Chris are going to pick up tickets tonight for tomorrows premeire, I am sure we would be up to a planning coffee or something like that after. I will post the show times here either way.

9. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Oops, don't mind this post.

10. C4-One25

Apr 11, 2003
    to all those who can attend/or are wishing to attend tomorrow night

there is a group of us going to the 9:50 show at SilverCIity.

11. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    Yay! It's X-Men day!!!

Does the Ewok victory dance.

Those who are joining us at Silver City for the 9:50 show can reply here, and we'll try to save enough seats together. :) See you tonight!

- Rani

12. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Just an up because the Matrix is cool.

13. Vills-Kavic

Mar 8, 2003
    Is there any way that people can still buy tickets for our showtime, Alakin, or are they all sold out yet?

-Vills

14. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    No idea, you can check at the theatre and this site or good places to check.

15. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Count me in!!!

And hopefully Kita as well, as she is coming over for the weekend. What are we doing afterwards?

*Derisa*

16. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Me and the C4 wonder are probably going to go for some pool. Anyone who wants to join us is more than welcome to.

17. C4-One25

Apr 11, 2003
    C4 Wonder?

hmmm......I'm gonna have to find out exactly makes me a wonder....

POOL is a go after the movie...pool and *beverages* YAY! Beverages!!!!!!!!!!

18. Vills-Kavic

Mar 8, 2003
    *sees beverages and perks her ears*

Hmm, here's to hoping I don't work the next day. JF found out at work today that there are tickets available for the show tonight, as well as tomorrow. Craziness! Who's in for the Matrix so far? JF and I are in for sure.

-Vills

19. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    Just talked it over with Paul, and if his folks can take Amy overnight, we'll be there for movie, pool, and of course, beverages. ;)

- Rani

20. C4-One25

Apr 11, 2003
    YAY!
    yet another exciting night of movies and mayhem :) oh, but wait.....there is more.....I dont get to particpate in the beverage portion of the mayhem cuz I have to work the next day!!

See C4 Drink
    Drink C4 Drink
    C4 gets tipsy!
    Bad, C4!, BAD!

21. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Okay, my bad, I won't be able to attend. You guys have a great time. :)

*Derisa*

22. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    Hey, C4 and Alakin, we saved you seats...what happened to you guys?

Well, the 10:15 showing wound up being the 10:45 showing thanks to the delays and endless commercials before the flick. We didn't wind up leaving the theatre until 1:00 a.m., by which time Paul and I were too wiped out to meet for beverages and pool. If I ever do one of these late shows again, I'm going to have to drink massive quantities of coffee before and after the movie.

As for the movie itself? Not as impressive as the first, I gotta say. If you're big into action, action, and blatent plot exposition to make room for more action, then this is the film for you. It certainly wasn't the film for me. I applaud the director's sense of environmentalism: re-using and recycling the same footage within the same film saved who knows how many hundreds of feet of celluloid? In this case, however, I would have preferred if they'd chosen to reduce instead.

WARNING: Spoilers ahead!!!

What I did like about the film was finally seeing what the fabled city of Sion (Zion?) looked like, along with their unique societal differences from what we know in the real world (or are we in the Matrix? I keep losing track). The multiple Agent Smiths was pretty cool too, at least the first time they attacked...before the novelty wore off, that is. ;)

My .02 cents,

- Rani

23. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Hey there, we ended up in another theatre. They opened up another one and offered first picks to people further back in the line. We took them up on it and got our pick of seats pretty much.

I really enjoyed the movie. I went in for the action and got some sort of interesting plot twists as a bonus. I am just happy I don't have to wait 3 years for the series to be concluded.

What did everyone else think?

24. Vills-Kavic

Mar 8, 2003
    LOTS OF SPOILERS IN THIS!!!!!

Well, I think I have to put my 1/50 of a dollar behind Alakin's opinion on the movie. I was interested in the action elements of the film, but I also wasn't disappointed by the rest of the film. Considering how much the first Matrix blew away our image of the world, it is a rather hard act to follow. Rani, I agree with you on finally seeing Zion. It was good to see the last city of humanity. Or... is it? But I must voice a little protest at the manner at which they ended the film. I understand that there will be the final installment in a mere six months, but what a TEASE!!!

Overall I think I really need to go see the film again, I still didn't catch everything that was going on. What puzzles me the most is what Neo did at the end of the film: Is Neo's ability to affect the "real" world a sign that his world is just another layer of the Matrix, or is it another dimension to his god-like abilities? What if Zion is only allowed to let loose the steam of the anomaly in the system, and that all the inhabitants are still slaves?

Maybe another viewing will help me figure out some of these problems!!! I am going again with some friends who couldn't make the first showing, so anyone is welcome to come along again (and that means YOU Derisa! :) ).

A question for all those interested... Who was your favourite new character from the movie? I think I throw in my vote for the ghostly twins...

-Vills

25. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Before my Premeire thread gets totally highjacked, might I suggest someone make a Matrix Discussion thread? At some time tomorrow I will be putting up a new premiere and the Matrix Discussion will be a little off topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.