main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Premiere too slow!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by darren, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darren

darren Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2000
    Quick one.

I am working with Premiere 6.5 and no matter how small the files I use with it, it is running very slow. It takes ages to play a file and when it finally does, it plays at 2-3 tmes the speed! I then have to stop and review the footage again!

When I do that Ctrl alt Del thingy, it says the computer is procssing at 2%. The only time the computer runs fast is during rendering (I know this cos the fan comes on)

ALSO, if I render audio it plays back at HALF the speed!!!!! So you get that slo-mo sound!!!

Is there a setting I need ot change in premiere that will increase speed??? Like a memory thing or something???

I am working on a 3GHz Laptop with 1GB RAM and about 30GB of free hard drive space.

I am using files that are DV anamorphic widescreen although even images run slow.

Cheers

no need to shout... just feel the groove, man :)

2. Darthness

Darthness Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    *bump*

Ok, this was on the third* page. Surely SOMEONE knows enough to help him out.

* With the settings on 50 threads per page.

3. Daniel_L

Daniel_L Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    I do not want to ruin your machine, but go into the BIOS and overclock your CPU slightly slightly slightly
    Look on the internet how to overclock your particular motherboard
    This IS RISKY, if you have a burner backup your important files

4. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Um, I think looking into other methods besides overclocking would be good to start out with. ;) Why take a chance like that for small files? His computer should be plenty powerful.

Sounds like a problem with the operating system or Premiere itself - you might try reinstalling and/or checking to make sure you have enough free disk space for the program to use. Just a few quick thoughts. :)

Hope that helps!

5. darren

darren Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2000
    Think I found the problem!!!!!

I am also running premiere over 2nd monitor. When I open an avi for checking it opens on the main monitor - no problems. But then when I add it to the timeline and it plays on the timeline monitor on the 2nd screen, then I have problems!!!

I reckon its the built-in graphics card on the laptop that can't cope with running large AVI files on the two screens.

Just a guess. But when I run with everything on just one monitor (ie the laptop screen) premiere works fine!

Cheers!

6. the_Fiddler

the_Fiddler Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2000
    Not sure I understand what you just said, but try making whichever monitor you want to view your video on, the primary monitor. Then put your timeline on the other. I beleive the video card should give first priority to the primary display, allowing it to handle the preview. I use Vegas on a laptop and have the timeline fill the whole laptop widescreen. Then I have my preview window and a bunch of other info (plugins, media bins, etc.) around it, on my secondare monitor (a 19" ViewSonic CRT). It works great. My video card will handle it fine though, so I don't have to switch the primary. But this might help you, if you're still wanting to video edit w/dual monitors. It's sure a huge improvement, and aide, in editiing for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.