main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Preparing for Virtual Reality lightsaber duels...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by metaforcesaber, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    The technology is available. Too expensive to be cost efficient right now, but available. And totally feasible. I've been in high tech virtual reality programs- "the cave" at the Beckman Institue, University of Illinois. Please don't get caught up in logistics and details. Just pretend that some way, somehow, it will exist. Use your imagination. Have fun with this.

So, for the purposes of this thread, let's pretend that one day in the future, you will be able to go to an actual Star Wars VR complex and participate in lightsaber duels with your fellow fans. Think about it: actual lightsaber combat against other humans (or a bot) with all the fixins- the sound and sight of the lightsabers, the familair and unfamilar SW settings, rankings, recordings of duels, being your favorite character, wielding your favorite lightsaber, practicing against Darth Vader! Etc. And actual physical skill in a brand new game. Good life lessons too: determination, patience, exercise, strategy, accomplishment, competition, friendship with fellow duelers. Etc.

Are you prepared?
    Do you plan on studying swordfighting or fencing?

Whattaya think? All viewpoints are welcome, so all you naysayers are welcome to criticize the idea to your heart's content

Believe it or not, I'm preparing to take fencing lessons. I mean it. I've been thinking about it a lot lately. For some reason, even if these VR 'parlors' never happen, I'm still highly motivated to learn the art of swordfighting.

"...The circle is now complete..." ;)

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It'd be great exercise :)

Well, just what I've done so far...studied the basics, watched a hell of a lot of sword fights in movies, and practised. Soon as I've had a chance to duel a bit against an actual opponent, I'll gain a load more experience and just take it from there.

Really, with a basic idea of the standard stances and blocks, and taking your time with practising stuff rather than just swinging as fast as you can, you're pretty set to start learning how to do it.

Of course, Jedi fighting is different...loads more twirls and flips with the blade, heh. It's more to look good than strictly efficient, but hopefully any such future simulator would let you get away with stuff like that for the sake of looking flash ;)

3. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    Cool post. :)

I hope to see ya there someday! Please note I intend to do some good-natured trashtalking, Vader style: "When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master." ;)

Sounds like you'd whup me right now though. Dangit. However, always in motion the future is. :mad: [face_devil] :p

4. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    That'de be great! :D

I know a little bit of lightsaber fighting that a member in my club taught me too :)

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Sounds like you'd whup me right now though

lol, up to the point where I accidently stab myself trying to flip the blade twice around my back or something :p

6. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    I...love...idea...it...be...awesome...great...I...love...it...

*drools uncontrollably*

Yessssss..... [face_mischief]

:p

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

7. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Great thread! I love this idea. Except there would have to be a double bladed lightsaber because I'm really good at the staff..... at least I think Iam!

8. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Great idea. I have a feeling all video games will be VR in the near future; that way, we'll get more realistic movements from characters, and gameplay won't be hindered by a limited amount of buttons.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of video games, and would LOVe it if this happened sometime in my lifetime. ;)

9. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    That would rock. I'd want to have the Bespin Duel reenactment. Have a Carbonite Hole in the Middle with pads at the bottom.

I practice all the time with my Toy Sabers and They're pretty fun.

I would also like a VR X-Wing Game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.