main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prequel Jedi Surviving to the EPVII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthKreVass, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Filoni's quote on Kanan impacting on Luke being a Jedi:

The only interpretation I can think of, if Kanan and Ezra survive past ANH, is these two show no interest in wanting to fight Vader or both don't foresee themselves as Jedi Knights.

As I've said in a different thread, the idea of Lothal rebels operating in a remote part of the galaxy and having no idea about the wider Rebel Alliance, attack on the Death Star, etc is rather weird. Granted, we're going to have to watch several seasons to understand fully, but I cannot help think several retcons will occur.

2. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    When I saw this thread, I immediately thought of the Inquisitorius. Wookieepedia actually says:

Dra--- and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I have no problem with some Jedi surviving the purge. It would make sense. But any that survived should be hunted down and killed in the years between eps 3-4. None, other than Obi-Wan and Yoda, should still be alive by the time Luke begins his epic journey.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If a Jedi breaks the code (even if they don't actually fall all the way to the Dark Side), might Yoda no longer count them?

Hoggsquattle and The Hellhammer like this.
  5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    This, basically.

It's perfectly feasible to have quite a few Jedi survive Order 66. But what I consider the 'actual' Jedi Purge is what takes place after Order 66. Hunt down the survivors, supress their teachings, seize their holdings and important relics, tarnish their name and make sure that they never come back. This is what I imagine goes on, rather aggressively, between ROTS and ANH. By the time of ANH, all the Jedi should be wiped out except for Yoda and Kenobi.

I could maaaybe see a few more survive, but these need to be some really obscure and obviously underpowered Jedi, or at least not focused on combat and direct confrontation with the dark side. Nothing like that Starkiller lunacy, where a random guy beats the crap out of Vader AND Palpatine while Luke can't even lift a damn rock for five years.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Starkiller was Vader's apprentice for a decade or so before turning against him.

Still overpowerful though.

7. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

This is the live action Star Wars TV series I've always wanted. With Vader as the main character.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  8. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    THIS

The Inquisitor seems to easily handle Kanan in the Rebels trailers, but we haven't seen Ezra's potential. The latter is what worries me; in the shorts, Ezra has exceptional perception skills - with zero training. Judging by the amount of toy promotions, Ezra and the Inquisitor will duel at some point. And this will be the most important aspect of Rebels. Kanan in a trailer states the Force is "unusually strong with Ezra"; if this kid manages to outsmart or beat the Inquisitor, when many Jedi Knights haven't, then it's going to impact on Luke. I don't care what Filoni thinks, but it will.

The Hellhammer and Iron_lord like this.
  9. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    A thread such as this one deserves more posts! Especially since it brings back the days we all were eagerly trying to find out "Jedi survivors from the Battle of Geonosis" in AOTC. I was on that thread every day back in summer of '02 ^:)^ I feel like there will NOT be any Jedi alive for Episode VII and to take a step further (Or back in time if you will), I feel there will also NOT be any Jedi alive past ESB. So I give Rebels or whatever Spinoffs, books, etc until the ESB timeline to show us what we all been waiting for....The Jedi Purge to be completed...except for of course the big three.

No I know of a few EU Jedi powerful enough to avoid the Inquisitors and the Empire, and may go into hiding, so I guess they will just be considered former (retired) Jedi and no longer count. As for Jedi Master K'Krunk (spelling off sorry), or any other PT Jedi whose species live a long time, it would be cool to see them, but instead of Ep. VII , lets see them in a spinoff or pre-OT material, and lets see their fates so we know there isn't a bunch of Jedi around during the OT no helping the Rebellion.

10. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Jedi don't need to be powerful to avoid the Inquisitor(s) or the Empire... just smart. Weaker Jedi may even be less of a priority to any Imperial agents.

The Purge is 'complete' already, long before even Rebels begins. They may still search, but the odds of finding any survivors from among the roster of Knights, Masters, Padawans, and Younglings would likely diminish over time, even if they had a checklist to go off. It's a big galaxy, trillions of sentients, and they're searching for--at best--a few hundred maybe.

But the bottom line is unchanged: Only Luke (or, maybe, Leia) could do what needed to be done, even if Yoda & Obi-Wan were mistaken about how to go about it.

Luke needs to think he's the last Jedi so he knows he must be the one to face his father... but that doesn't mean he needs to actually be the last one. Those others wouldn't fare so well against Vader; they wouldn't be toyed with like Luke was. They wouldn't be courted as serious apprentices for Vader, or replacements of Vader. They are not of the bloodline of the Chosen One. Whether zero remain or 300, it doesn't change Luke's importance and role in the Saga... if some remain, it just means there's potentially some allies out there he can seek out after Endor, to join him or even learn from him how to be a new kind of Jedi.

whostheBossk, Dra--- and jabberwalkie like this.
  11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

As a holocron carrying Oppo fan, I approve your post. :) In other words, YES please.

whostheBossk and Seagoat like this.
  12. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Oh no, here we go again. People think Luke is only special because he's last. Wrong.

That's a complete misunderstanding of the story.

Luckily Filoni, the Story Group, and LFL do get it.

TheBBP, Toonimator and EviL_eLF like this.
  13. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Luke is special because he's the son of the chosen one. His power is greater than that of any Jedi, and only Anakin had the potential to be more powerful, but his grievous injuries stunted that potential a bit.

TheBBP, Dra--- and Toonimator like this.
  14. SWITS

SWITS Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 7, 2015
    the only prequel jedi I care about surviving is Ahsoka Tano. She kicks butt!

TheBBP and Dra--- like this.
  15. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I'd rather she never appear again.

Knightstalker137 and Togruta like this.
  16. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    ...is it irony that a person named "Togruta" liked your post? :p

I'd like to see Ahsoka again, provided it's not just for "Epic Tragedy! Vader vs Ahsoka! Thrilla on Chandrila! Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY!"

But never seeing her again has its merits, too... we can all imagine our own fate for her.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda isn't infallible but I agree. Though they will find ways to stretch the believability of this. You can be assured of that.
    I despise K'khruk and Tra Sa'a being in Legacy so much. K'khruk should have died in battle in Legacy: War.
    The PT Jedi could survive but should not be in power.

Just have holo's of the Jedi.

18. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    It doesn't lessen Luke's importance. His importance is as the heir of the Chosen One, fixing the mess his father helped create. Other Jedi are unimportant in that regard; if Luke knew of them, however, he'd hesitate about facing his father. Yoda tells Luke a little white lie so he'll do what needs to be done, knowing he (or Obi-Wan) can tell Luke the truth later should things go well thanks to Super Force Ghost Mega Power.

And most survivors, in such a case, have probably moved on with their lives. Years of hiding might take a toll on their resolve to be Jedi; some may grow to love their new lives, if they can avoid fear of discovery. I would think some might return to the fold, but humbled by their decades in exile and ready to follow Luke's path, and/or be guided by the spirits, but most might just serve as Jedi baby-makers, starting families within which the Force may run strong... children who may one day become Jedi themselves, even tho their parents or grandparents had long ago left that life behind.

19. Knightstalker137

Knightstalker137 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2003
    I agree with this 1000%. Luke HAS to be the last Jedi by the time he faces Vader and Palpatine, or it basically kills the power of Luke's whole struggle. I always saw the title, RETURN OF THE JEDI, to represent not just Lukes return to face Vader and his destiny, but also the return of the Jedi Knights after they were all wiped out, Luke being the first of a new generation.

20. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    It's probably true up until the end of ROTJ, that no Jedi existed other than those that we knew about from the movies.

However, I wonder if the "awakening" starts prior to Episode VII. If he does, how long before?

21. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    Barring Obi-Wan and Yoda all the Jedi are dead by the time of ANH - that much isn't up for debate, as to change this would be to diminish the power of Luke's transformation over the course of the OT. I've always felt that there were far too many Jedi in the prequels (Yaddle for heaven's sake) and that this diminished their screen power.

Also, I think it's fairly likely that no characters from the cartoons or toys will appear in these films (other than - perhaps - as the odd easter egg). 'Canon' or not (and I get the feeling that this word is being horribly misused about this stuff - really being used in the sense of 'not conflicting with the timeline of...'), that stuff really doesn't fit with the OT, which is primarily what JJ and co are building from.

22. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Well, contradicting what I said above...

Majority of the rumours unite on one point - Luke is "the last of his kind"; we can only assuming (there's only one choice) the statement is referring to Jedi. Now, the debate is how we define last - is Luke literally the only one around, or does a tiny pocket exist?.

Thanks to Rebels, we now know Yoda is aware of Kanan and Ezra. "Last of the Jedi, you are" becomes pretty definitive now - Kanan, Ezra, Ahsoka and any other Jedi have to be dead by the time Yoda ushers those lines to Luke. Rebels completely voids the argument of Yoda being unaware of other Force sensitives in the galaxy - if he can sense/contact Kanan and Ezra, then he can sense others.

whostheBossk likes this.
  23. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

Maybe we should see it from this point of view, Luke is really the last Jedi and others like Kanan/Ezra etc. are only force sensitives and not fully trained Jedi. There is a difference between being a force sensitive or being a full Jedi. ;)

24. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I do not agree.

25. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

We heard Yoda saying 'The last of the Jedi you will be'. Did we hear anyone saying that Kanan/Ezra are Jedi with completion of traing? Maybe they are Padawans or force users, but not Jedi.

LunarMoth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.