main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prequel Jedi Surviving to the EPVII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthKreVass, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    We have heard the originator of the series (Rebels) say Kanan is a Jedi Master.

Yoda was only talking from the pov of needing to motivate Luke.

Either way, we've had this discussion over and over and over again... I don't agree is all. I've heard all the arguments and presented a ton of my own... I don't wish to get into it again more than that this time around. ;)

Dra--- and nightangel like this.
  2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

ok, but don't forget I'm still quite new to this forum, so I have not read yet all 9000 discussions that were done before I joined. :)

EviL_eLF and Flapjack4 like this.
  3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't think Ezra will die on screen, similar to Ahsoka.

Whether or not Kanan is a Jedi Master is being pedantic; titles are meaningless since the fall of the Order - Kanan even admits its all in the past now and that's where it belongs.

EviL_eLF and nightangel like this.
  4. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    This...keep it new move it forward...feature nothing from the old movies

5. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Of course it's up for debate. It's far too convenient for the only Jedi survivors of Order 66 to be the only two who were ever a threat to the Sith in the first place, and it doesn't diminish Luke's journey one bit. He is the son of the Chosen One. Only Anakin's children can truly be a threat to the Sith, outside of Yoda and Ben. Only Anakin's children can possibly turn him back. No other Jedi, be they youngling or Master, could do that. And as heir to the Chosen One, who better to usher in a new era for the Jedi?

And too many Jedi in the prequels? You realize there are only 10,000 in a galaxy of trillions, right? And we only every saw a fraction of that number onscreen? We may never see that many onscreen again at once, but I sure as hell hope the numbers grow at least to that onscreen amount before the movies are done, even if they're mostly referenced as being offscreen. Why complain about Yaddle? Oh no! There's another member of Yoda's species! He's now as entirely boring as the thousands of humans we see in the Saga! :rolleyes:

Having few primary Jedi characters is understandable... We only saw so many in the PT because we saw their home and because of the rescue mission... and because audiences expected to see a lot of Jedi in their heyday. That's out of our systems now; that doesn't mean the Jedi should always be, in-universe, small in number (i.e. only really what we see onscreen). Even at their height, the there were only enough Jedi to populate a small town.

EviL_eLF and Dra--- like this.
  6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Personally speaking, I don't think we'll see a significant amount of trained Jedi before the ST is done. If we take the PT as an example, a Jedi Master only had one apprentice at any given time. They didn't take a class. So, taking that into account, I expect Luke to have just the one apprentice in the films. What happened in those 30 years after Jedi with regards to Luke and an apprentice? Who knows.

7. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    There are many Jedi who I can think of whose fates are not known.
    Ahsoka Tano
    Barriss Offee (These two are no longer Jedi though)
    Eeth Koth
    Tera Sinube
    Byph
    Ran Deezy
    Ganodi
    Gungi
    Katooni
    Farn Klin
    Petro
    Zatt
    Quinlan Vos
    Shaak Tii
    Jocasta Nu
    Wee Dunn
    Roo-Roo Page
    Zinn Toa
    Jinx
    O-mer
    Oppo Ransis
    Yaddle
    Yureal Poof

There are probably a ton more named Jedi, but this is the list I put together. My hope is that most of them are dead, but the more interesting ones, like Ahsoka, Barriss, and Quinlan Vos survived and will get more story. :) (And for the billionth time, I know that Vos is appearing in DD, but if he survives I want to see him in a lot more.)

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Well, that is a rather impressive piece of knowledge, with regards to the unknown fate of those Jedi. ;) But you have to ask yourself, 'Would any of those suddenly appearing in TFA carry any punch?' After all, it is 30 years after the battle of Endor timeline wise. So what were they doing during that time? They surely must've heard about the demise of the Emperor and Vader? So why stay in hiding? It doesn't add up. So nope, not for me. :)

9. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    Indeed, and none of those characters listed have any appeal whatsoever to the vast majority of moviegoers who this film is aimed at.

To imagine that any Jedi other than Obi Wan and Yoda (and sort of Anakin) were alive at the beginning of ANH is to completely miss the point of that film and the state of the Star Wars galaxy at that point.

Jcuk likes this.
  10. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    You're the one missing the point... "Now the Jedi are all but extinct" doesn't mean "It's just me and the Muppet left." Ben is hiding out, and is getting "too old for [that] sort of thing"... There is no reason other Jedi couldn't be in similar situations. Unlike Ben and Yoda, tho, they don't know about the twins, so they wouldn't have the same events circling around them alerting them that the time was right to act. Some, like Kanan, get their own little calls to action. Others may not. Sensing the destruction of Alderaan might just push many deeper into seclusion, giving them Luke's excuse: "There's nothing I can do, etc"

The Jedi Order is shattered. Only two Jedi have knowledge of a possible way to defeat the Sith. Only two potential Jedi are the heirs of the Chosen One, able to do what must be done. Only one is singled out to train as a Jedi, embodying the hopes of those two knowledgeable Jedi both for the salvation of the galaxy and a rebirth of the Jedi learning from past mistakes and new knowledge gained from the netherworld of the Force.

Luke's importance, and the dire situation faced by the galaxy, doesn't change at all even if hundreds of Jedi are scattered in hiding across the galaxy. They may be Green Lanterns... but Luke is Kyle Freaking Rayner. They might be able to make a difference in their sector or when banded together, but Kyle can save the UNIVERSE. (Vader in this case is Hal Jordan, naturally, Parallax-style but before Parallax was retconned into a separate entity that possessed him).

Iron_lord and EviL_eLF like this.
  11. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Quoted because a simple like wasn't enough! Well stated!

12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Props to Toonimator for that fine explanation.

Whatever they do with new or existing Jedi in the films, as long as it feels like Star Wars to me, great. I am not throwing any kind of expectations on (how can I when I am not a fan of TCW or Rebels?)

That said, the thought of Luke as a Jedi Master is still very foreign to me. I like that and am open to seeing where the Jedi may go in these new films.

Toonimator likes this.
  13. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    You can say that again!

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.