main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Prequel Trilogy love - the prequels were great

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Deliveranze, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Right - wasn't trying to say that NO ONE does.. .I'm just saying that I think we could all admit that one of the most common complaints about the PT is the dialogue and it's interesting to see how people who don't speak english view the films since for them the dialogue wouldn't be an issue (well, depending on how it's subtitled I suppose :))

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  2. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015

Generalization but I see your point. My father is 60, saw all 3 OT films in theaters. We rewatched the saga and he actually prefers the PT now.

3. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    And that is because everyone is wrong except ME!! Star Wars dialogue in 1-6 is a thing of hilarious beauty.:mad:

(I'm joking, everyone. Not about liking the dialogue (which I do) -- just about getting my nose bent out of shape over it.) :)

Deliveranze likes this.
  4. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    I love all the Prequels and they made me appreciate prequel stories in other franchises, it's why I chronollogically watched Fate/Zero, which is an amazing prequel to the Fate/Stay Night franchise, even though I keep reading from Fate fans that you should watch Fate/Stay Night and the other route Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks, first, I love backstory and I'd never been interested in the franchise, until I watched Fate/Zero, the story's prequel series. So the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy made me appreciate prequel stories in general.

5. DarthDiggler99

DarthDiggler99 Jedi Master

May 16, 2005
    That's interesting. Maybe because he wasn't a kid when he saw the OT, I don't know. What you see as a kid can really shape what you like growing up IMO.

Deliveranze likes this.
  6. museinwoodenshoes

museinwoodenshoes Jedi Master star 4

Nov 25, 2015

I watched TPM first in a dubbed version and the Neimodians, while still speaking in an almost antiquated way concerning the syntax and the vocabulary, did not have much of an accent. Which I thought to be weird.
    As a whole I thought the language used in the prequels, it's patterns, certain words and so on was strangely fitting according to the universe these people are in and the overall setting. We have knights and high powered politicians, queens and viceroys and the language they use works for the high and mighty from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

I am half German and the German dub (they dub everything there) really plays up the aspect that this is basically a courtly drama with the high and mighty. For instance every time someone talks to Yoda they make use of the formal you. Same goes for when Anakin talks to Obi-Wan. Even when he screams I hate you it translates to "Ich hasse Euch!", which is the formal you, instead of "ich hasse Dich!" In fact, Euch isn't just the formal you, but an antiquated version of it. You'll find it in the works of Goethe or Schiller for example. No one uses this anymore.

7. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I grew up with the OT and, like all of my friends, I was MAD about Star Wars. We all used to say "What's your favourite movie apart from Star Wars?" because it was just a given for us that nothing was better. I guess we all had our own ideas on what the story of episodes I to III would be like and I remember how mention of the Clone Wars in ANH would fill my head with all sorts of amazing imagery.

By the time the PT finally arrived I was a young adult and as such had given up my action figures and comic books and stopped wondering what else had happened in that galaxy far, far away. But I fell in love with Star Wars all over again. I appreciated the fact that the new story was deeper, more imaginative and complex than in the OT. Being older and a little wiser to the ways of the world, I was glad that the PT contained more moral ambiguity. I loved seeing that the Jedi were fallible and played a big part in their own downfall. And I loved the fact that the Republic became the Empire through Palpatine's masterful manipulation of democratic process rather than from an assassination and/or coup as the relative simplicity of the OT had led me to expect. In short, I was glad that the story of the PT was different to what my child self had imagined it would be. It was more surprising, more entertaining, and ultimately more fulfulling for my adult self that way.

It seems to me that some people didn't want the PT to be different to the Star Wars they saw (or imagined) as a kid, they just wanted more of the same. But I never felt that way. I think I would have got very bored very quickly if the PT had nothing of its own to offer. I reckon that's why I was underwhelmed by TFA whereas a lot of those folks who didn't want Star Wars to change were so happy with it. I guess we all want different things but to me there's nothing more satisfying than seeing the wonderous ideas that come out of the head of an artist of George Lucas's calibre being brought to life on the big screen.

I kind of feel sorry for the people who couldn't push their own preconceptions aside and enjoy the wonderful ride that Lucas created for us. They're missing out big time if you ask me.

8. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Boyega almost seems afraid to admit he likes them, which for me being comfortable in my own skin isn't very appealing in someone. that's part of the herd mentality that's taken over with them.

9. WAZZER

WAZZER Jedi Padawan

Aug 18, 2015
    Watched TFA recently again. Has some good tiny moments but that doesnt make it a good film at all. Very dull. So suprised by the love for it...just cant see it. Looking at the low score reader reviews on imdb and metacritic gives me some sort of solace.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

10. WAZZER

WAZZER Jedi Padawan

Aug 18, 2015
    TFA is not a good STAR WARS film. Cant bevieve people have sleep walked into this film. Looking at the low score reader reviews on imdb and metacritic gives me some sort of solace.

11. WAZZER

WAZZER Jedi Padawan

Aug 18, 2015
    Amazing post! My thoughts exactly. Wish the general audience could think like this. I think GL over estimated his audience thinking that they would love story over cheap nostalgia...sadly he was wrong. Great, great shame. Star wars 1977-2005.

12. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    Don't buy into the lie that the general audience overwhelmingly hates the prequels. It's total BS.

As i posted in another thread earlier today, I happen to think amazon.com is a great place to go to get a feeling for the general consensus because it's a site that literally everyone uses and, therefore, reviews come from what I would suggest could be considered the broadest possible cross-section of the general public. Now, if we look at the amazon reviews for The Phantom Menace - the prequel we're constantly told that everyone hates - we see it currently holds a rating of 3.6 stars out of a possible 5. Adding up the 3,4, and 5 star reviews reveals that 74% of people thought the film was average to excellent and only 26% hated it.

And it's interesting to compare this to the reviews of The Force Awakens - which we're told everybody loves - as it currently holds a score of 3.7 stars, or an average to excellent score of 75%, which is only 1% higher than TPM!

13. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    WAZZER ^^^^ In agreament as well. It's not that Lucas over estimated his audience - enough people went with him, he undersetimated the portion that woudn't - and how they would respond, taking it personally and attacking him personally.

Some of that though is nothing to do with Star Wars per se, it's part of a complex socioogical phenomenon to do with time, nostalgia, the internet, a sense of personal ownership and self entitlement etc etc. Disney isn't getting away with it either. Everything has changed since 1983. I remember then - and from then 2016 was Back to the Future future - the real future, and to some extent I can only understand things by realising that, and trying to understand why we are still here talking about Star Wars 7 - the movie, rather than actually bombing about it X-wings.

My 12 year od self certainly thought that would be a given by now, not that this future would consist of people using there own 'personal TV channel' to say "well I just got back from seeing a Star Wars movie that sucked..."

Love all the PT by the way, partly because they seamed to be moving forward. Always loved that about Lucas. I know it's not really about the spaceships and laser swords, but it kinda is as well, and if someone had beamed my self fronm 1977 and said 'wanna see what Star Wars will look like in the future?' I'm sure I would have been scared ****le$$. It's easy to undersestimate what ILM have acheived at the very least.

14. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    SeventySeven Off topic but I'm curious.:p Was your avi a real action figure?

15. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

That was an excellent post! =D==D==D=

I was around 15 or 16 years old when Revenge of the Sith came out in 2005 and a lot of the events told in the PT were resonating in my mind since we were in the post 9/11 period, the war in Iraq, more and more security, a restriction of liberty and the end of that period of innocence. It was also on that time, because of those different events in our real world, I was starting to follow what was happening in our world and understand it, as I was approaching my adult days and starting to think what I'll do in my future. I like the PT, the OT and TFA, but there's much more to discuss and explore in the PT than both the OT and TFA.

16. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016

What a wonderful post, thank you. I agree, anyways. The Prequels really intensified and deepened the scope of the OT. The same world true, but made infinitely more complex and mature what with the political scheming and, as you stated, the moral ambiguity. You really felt the pull and tug not only of the galactic warfare of a world soon to vanish into the annexes of a history book, but the constant power struggle between the different groups of people who sought to shape the galaxy into their mold.

This was a time of beauty, culture and class that was slowly but surely getting choked from the rotting, festering insides of its world. The OT brought the adventure; the PT brought the meaning. They both brought their own originality and showed different sides of the same world, yet they both need each other to tell the entire story.

17. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    My 7 year old daughter just watched TPM, and she loved it: so far she has seen the OT ( she found it interesting but I could not detect special enthusiasm), two weeks ago we went to watch TFA, and she said again that it was interesting, BB8 was super cute, but overall it was a bit frightening... Yesterday evening I decided to watch TPM again, and she joined me, and WOW, she was totally blown away, she understood the story, knew who is who (only she is still unaware that the old Senator Palpatine is the future "evil emperor"), she LOVED Jar Jar (sorry guys, :p), even more than she loved BB8... So, thanks to TPM now I definetly considers her a "fan"... I think I'll show her AOTC sooner or later (she watched TCW episodes with me, and there was no problem), but I'll wait with ROTS,I think, unless she specifically wishes to see it...

18. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    No I found some guy on the net who made a few, and a few others have copied the idea either just for fun, or to sell on e-bay. I think someone behind a Star Wars toy museum auctioned some off for contributions.

Somebody posted a picture of one on face book and I couldn't stop laughing...some people...is nothing sacred? !

Deliveranze likes this.
  19. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    No need to apologize, there's NOTHING wrong with Jar Jar. My 8-year-old loves him too!

Just goes to prove that George Lucas knew EXACTLY what he was doing.

But then I'm sure we all knew that anyway.

20. Sith_Smuggler

Jan 9, 2016

Nothing wrong with liking Jar-Jar. I myself don't care for him, but the sheer amount of loathing he gets is utterly ridiculous. People treat him like he's the manifestation of AIDS or something - completely nonsensical.

There are far, far more annoying, unlikable and unbearable characters out there by far.

21. darthcubby

darthcubby Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2016
    I think the Prequels, for all of the unfair hatred from fans in recent years, are rich and very rewatchable films, especially TPM and ROTS. CLONES is the one film in the series that doesn't quite work for me completely although I can't quite put my finger on it. However I loved the first third and the last montage.

Revenge of the Sith is the one Star Wars film I rewatch the most outside of EMPIRE and just is a step down from A NEW HOPE for me.

22. DarthPoojaNaberrie

DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Master star 5

Jun 21, 2005
    I do. In a minority maybe, but...

Fell in love with the ot at age 16-17 and then with the pt age 21-23

23. Sith_Smuggler

Jan 9, 2016

Revenge of the Sith is my favorite SW movie, but I always dread watching it. How dark it is is fine...but how tragic it is...my emotions are never ready for the onslaught of FEELS. :_|

24. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    Just watched it today with my son. I was like I HAVE SOMETHING IN MY EYE! :(

25. Sith_Smuggler

Jan 9, 2016

ME, EVERY SINGLE TIME! :_|

AprilMayJune likes this.