main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Prequel meets EU ... AGAIN!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Super_Collector, Nov 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super_Collector

Super_Collector Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002
    http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2002/10/news20021018_2.html

Coming out in February, a second novel which crosses between the prequel
    universe and the expanded universe. Tatooine Ghost by Tory Denning (Del Rey
    title) takes place early in Han and Leia's marriage. (Chewbacca is back!) The
    finalized cover has Han, Leia, and Chewbacca on the front and Shmi Skywalker and Darth Vader on the back.

Earlier this year there was another plot revelation which connected the Yuzzom
    Vong invasion storyline with the the living planet we read about in Rogue
    Planet, which featured Obi-Wan Kenobi and his young apprentice Anakin.

With these fantastic Sci-fi writers doing so well tieing our universe together
    with their tales, we can only hope George Lucas will have as much success with
    Episode III!

2. Tandeer

Tandeer Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2001
    I wouldn't count on it....

I love the books. I wish Lucas would let some of these folks "help" him with the scripts!

3. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Hmmm, I can't agree with that sentiment. Speaking as one who has read every single EU novel since they started, I am definitely of the opinion that very few, if any of the EU writers have gotten the true 'feel' of the SW movies captured in print.

The novels, IMO, are far too much sci-fi, and not enough mythology and fantasy. There just isn't enough cohesion or consistency in characters, plotlines, etc. And a lot of the decisions that the early writers made regarding stories set in the EU have always felt wrong to me.

You see, Star Wars, to me, has always been about an extraordinarily powerful core story which is a family, the Skywalkers. And that story definitely had a beginning, a middle, and an end. That's not to say that the story couldn't have been continued in the same fashion, but I don't feel that it has. Instead, what I've seen is a lot of writers that aren't sure what they are allowed to tread upon, utilizing overused plot devices (kidnapping, new warlord that's taking over the Empire, etc.), and always having the main characters come out of it unscathed.

Yes, I know they killed Chewbacca. But EU writers haven't known what to do with him since the beginning, except to babysit the kids and work on the Falcon. He's had no role in the novels whatsoever, so of course they killed him.

Now, I do have issues with some things that Lucas does in his movies. I don't always think he makes the best choices. But I do firmly believe that I have yet to see ANY writer from the EU that could even hold a candle to what Lucas has created and is continuing to create because of one detail--Lucas still understands that it's a myth, not sci-fi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.