main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Prequel nostalgia. Yes, it's a real thing.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by squir1y, Feb 12, 2014.

1. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    WriterMan, I don't know who you're trying to hide that spoiler from. :p

SateleNovelist11 and WriterMan like this.
  2. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    here's a few of them the one you refer to starts at around 1:07

3. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
  4. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Most of my prequel nostalgia comes from that period when TPM was being advertised, leading up to seeing it, and then reveling in a whole new ushering in of Star Wars for a little while after. I remember my brother and I having our grandma take us to Taco Bell/KFC/Pizza Hut just about every day after school so we could get a new toy from one of these places. That was a lot of fun and some of my fondest memories of middle school.

Although we had been into Star Wars for some time at that point, collecting all the toys and seeing the re-releases and whatnot, I had never really been involved in the community outside of that. So for me, one of my greatest Star Wars memories came while seeing it the day it came out, when Captain Panaka named R2D2 as the droid who saved Padme's ship. I remember the whole theatre just erupting in cheer and applause, much more than they had during the Lucasfilm display, the galaxy far far away quote, and the opening scroll...or maybe it was just that I didn't expect it during the R2 reveal so it seemed like a bigger applause. Either way, that was the moment I realized how much fun it is to be a Star Wars fan.

whostheBossk and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  5. MissJo

MissJo Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 6, 2015
    There is a fall Star Wars marathon of AXN. Today was TPM, and it really brought back some memories. Tomorrow is AOTC, I know that is something I am not missing.

[​IMG]

6. The hidden holocron

The hidden holocron Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    I was born in 1992, so i grew up with both trilogies and i can't hate PT.

7. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I was born in '68, so I was 30 when TPM came out, but my nostalgia for that period is nonetheless quite strong. I camped for tickets, bought all the figures, saw the movie several times in the theater, took a neighbor kid named Luke to see it, and generally had a great time being a fan.

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I was thirteen when TPM came out. I was excited to see it. I wondered who the heck Darth Maul was and couldn't wait to hear the music.

ChefCurryWindu, Andy Wylde and mes520 like this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Since I don't watch the movies even close to each other it had been several years since I last saw TPM and man do I love it even more!

10. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I was about 6 or 7 when I first saw the prequels. I had seen the originals first and had heard about the prequels. I was able to finally see them on DVD and man, was I blown away! I watched them so many times, it's pretty much uncountable.

And guess what? I was never bored watching them at that age. Weird, right?

11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I found this. I think it's pretty cool. I may have some issues with some of the dialogue and certain story scenarios in the prequel films, but I still enjoy watching them a great deal. As a whole, the trilogy is a tragedy and a visual feast.

Cryogenic likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The teal tint of the TFA trailers makes me nostalgic for the absence of the teal tint in the prequels.

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    TPM was released before 9/11 and the arguably undemocratic 2000 election, giving it a sense of nostalgia for a time when the world wasn't constantly afraid of terrorists, there was no War on Terror, the Bosnian Genocide was the greatest extent of America's intervention in foreign conflicts, the government had a surpluss, the dotcom boom was at its peak, etc. TPM reflects this in that the conflict is local rather than galactic, the evil Emperor is just a Senator, the evil Darth Vader is just a child, the Trade Federation seems to be the galaxy's biggest problem, etc. A moment of dramatic irony occurs when Shmi talks about how if only the Republic was on Tatooine to stop slavery. In ANH, Luke is glad that the Empire isn't on Tatooine oppressing people.

By the way, I think the theory that GL was inspired by 9/11 truthers is absurd.

14. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    First Star wars movie I have seen was "The Empire strikes back",when I was very young,maybe 7-8 years old,my mother took me and my sister to the movie.
    We were living in communist Romania and we did not had movies like these on TV,but on cinema,were.
    I was impressed with the movie.
    Later,after communism was no more in Romania,I have found out about Star wars and have seen also "A New Hope" and "Return of the Jedi".
    However,I was still liking "Empire strikes back " most.
    Now,I was in University when "The phantom menace" came out and I did not liked that much.
    However,when I have seen "Attack of the clones" I was delighted,it was one of the movies I have liked most.
    EDIT:
    I have seen Attack of the clones have an average degree on IMDB.
    Well,everyone has its opinion.
    Is my favorite episode from all Star Wars 6 episodes.

After,I have seen again on cinema,on premiere,"Revenge of the Sith",which I liked a lot,but it made me a little sad,
    since it is a drama.
    Now,I have a nostalgia after The clone wars,I do not think Lucas will ever make again such a good movie.
    As for "The revenge of the Sith" the movie is a drama,is a very serious movie,which puts a lot of questions,
    about humans and so on.First,when I watch it,I did not paid too much attention on conversations,
    but after I discovered that "Revenge of the Sith" is a masterpiece.

Sith_Smuggler and FRAGWAGON like this.
  15. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

The tragic quality of it is overwhelming -- and yes, absolutely, a visual feast, par excellence. Love that "epic retrospective" trailer (and the one for the OT).

I don't think they're that teal-y, but I'll certainly agree that the prequel trailers are incredible works of art. All of them.

Salient observations! Technically, just to pull you up on that last thing, Shmi doesn't talk explicitly about wanting the Republic on Tatooine; she has a slightly more realist slant on it. I mean, it's not clear to me, when Shmi says, "The Republic doesn't exist out here", that she finds that entirely regrettable; or is perhaps making such broader point about the brutal socio-political realities of life. But you're broadly correct. Again, interesting!

Yes. Although, I think there is a "conspiratorial/New World Order" quality to the prequel-trilogy storyline.

It at least anticipates negative trends of globalization we are seeing in our world today. Hopefully, we can overcome these problems and build a just and ethical global civilization.

16. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

There are times that I really don't like teal.

KenW likes this.
  17. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
  18. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    The Star Wars prequels are openly brilliant!:)

Cryogenic, Alienware, Samnz and 6 others like this.
  19. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    Unfortunately, I never saw any of the first six movies in the theater :_| - I hadn't started existing yet when the original three came out, and was only 12 when RotS came out. I wanted to see the PT in the theater, but never went due to some reason or the other and I deeply regret that.

(The Force Awakens was the very first SW movie I saw in the theater!)

Anyway, the very first SW movie I saw was Attack of the Clones, and this too I only saw parts of it on TV. Despite seeing only parts of it, I was immediately enthralled at the world, the plot, the scope and the sheer imagination. Being a picky child, I decided to watch the movies in order of when they came out like (what I thought) everyone else did. So I watched the Original Trilogy when they aired on TV and I seriously enjoyed them though even then I was left underwhelmed by RotJ as I am today.

Both TPM and AotC were out on TV by that time so I watched them. I felt the same way about TPM as I did for RotJ (to this day they're both my "least" favorite of the movies though I still like them)...however, I really enjoyed AotC. I absolutely loved the plot what with the increasing darkness of their world, the Jedi being at their height, the different relationships, the settings and the conflict of Anakin's character who I both loved and felt pity for. Despite being a young girl, I didn't really care for some of the romantic dialogue between Padme and Anakin (of course, I had a massive crush on Anakin...still find him very fetching haha!) though in the most contradictory fashion, I loved and still love their relationship. I thought it was a very good addition to the SW franchise and I eagerly awaited RotS.

I watched RotS on TV some time after it came out in theaters and my mind was blown. I absolutely was engrossed by it, and loved it to pieces. It gripped me from the moment it began and put my emotions through the wringer. Knowing what would unflinchingly happen, knowing the outcome, knowing how everything would fall just made the emotional impact even more intense.

The ending especially left a massive impact on me and I remember just sitting there as the credits were rolling with tears in my eyes because I was so utterly moved by the story and the finale. To this day, RotS is the only SW movie that brings me to tears and it is my favorite of all the films, even more so than Empire. I just watched RotS the other day and again, I loved it from start to finish and that ending still brought tears to my eyes.

As an adult, I am imbued with a sense of nostalgia for the entire Star Wars saga. I remember watching with awe and childlike wonder the original trilogy, and I remember that feeling still filling me as I watched the prequels which I am a fan of. Even now all these years later, I can put on the movies and they can still take me and keep me among the stars.

The originals keep doing it.

The prequels keep doing it.

Neither dislike of the series from others, or criticisms of the prequels (which I love) will change my personal opinion of the movies.

Though nostalgia seeps into my repeated views of the saga, it is my love of the series as a whole that keeps me coming back time and time again to immerse myself, for a wonderful if limited moment, far away from the problems of the real world in, "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away..."

20. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Last post was superb. Theses films are a big reason many of you who did not grow up with the OT love Star Wars.
    Each film is unique and holds a special nastolgia feel for me. In addition to my earlier post TPM summed up is anticipation and marketing.....AOTC is the mystery and love...and ROTS is the fall and birth giving a completion to what we thought was the end.

21. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    I can't wait for the Sequel Nostalgia. Yes it's a real thing. thread in a decade! ;)

22. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Prequel nostalgia is 1000% real! Especially when it comes to TPM.

Cryogenic likes this.
  23. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    It would awesome if episode 8 was fueled by PT nostalgia in the manner episode 7 was by OT nostalgia.

darth_mccartney likes this.
  24. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Yeassss, big time! Bring back Grampa Watto!

25. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    No matter what you think of TPM, it was a cultural event like nothing else. The hype leading up to that spring was everything SW. I still remember that surreal feeling when Obiwan & QuiGon pull down their hoods at the beginning of the movie. SW was back.....

whostheBossk, Tonyg and Cryogenic like this.