PT Prequel nostalgia. Yes, it's a real thing.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by squir1y, Feb 12, 2014.

Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785
  1. Hernalt Force Ghost

star 2
    tldr:; Nothing someone else hasn't thought somewhere.

Born in 73, and raising a glass to the +40s. I owe this place a debt of gratitude for my time here in mid-1999 through late 2000, because wrapping your mind around the source materials of SW, its modern interpretations, criticisms, and contexts, and trying to apprehend the erudite arguments of clearly college-educated posters, was an irreplaceable training ground for critical thinking. I got my ass handed to me many times for unexamined assumption or misconception, frequently along the fault lines of gender and class.

In May 1999, The Matrix and TPM had come out. I had just escaped a pretty horrible domestic situation and I was right on time for these two movies, one about birth to a newly discovered external reality, and one about the unveiling of a darker interior reality within the context of an expanded physical horizon. Bookends, if you will. But I only needed to see The Matrix twice. I did in fact "need to" see TPM front to back 12 times in theatres, after which every time I would sneak back into the later showing to catch the start of the Battle of Naboo. Why did I need to-. TPM had the greatest promise, had two decades of momentum and fan support built up behind it, had every actor (other than Lloyd) steaming ahead, every fibre of Ben Burt, every strain of John Williams, every sinew of martial artist Ray Park, and the mighty dedication to swordfighting Ewan McGregor. What I needed, and what TPM delivered to me, and what AOTC and ROTS could not deliver to me, was an extended lightsabre battle of the intensity, duration, finesse and chthonic musical catharsis that my own little mind ever imagined the franchise of a galaxy far far away was capable of. That's mainly it - the extended, properly grueling, properly gut-wrenching, light sabre battle. Needed to see it 25 times. Added to that was a rich panoply of characters and physical sets and matte paintings, accents, stage props, costumes, fabrics, lighting, biomes, etc. (a dash of CGI...)

At some point... I had seen TPM in theatres enough. (Frell, I was even taking notes on the movie towards the end.) I had discovered TFN as I was looking for ways to process this new, inexplicable Jar Jar thing. I eventually recognized many cogent arguments against TPM aside from what bugged me. It is still the movie I have gone back to over the intervening years as my Gungan safe/sacred place. It was my bacta tank and I floated in it for many months.
    Last edited by Hernalt, May 4, 2014
  2. MrCody Jedi Master

star 1
    For the may the 4th today, the cinema's were doing a movie marathon. Yesterday was the prequel and today was the originals. Honestly, people must really hate the prequels, hardly anyone showed up for them and then today for the originals it was packed. People clapping cheering. And at the end of return of the jedi, when hayden appears as anakin everyone booed. It was sad coz it made me dislike star wars abit. The fans seem to be very unappreciative of the films.
    EternalHero and FRAGWAGON like this.
  3. Hernalt Force Ghost

star 2
    Mind Riot likes this.
  4. whostheBossk Force Ghost

star 4
    Best memories would be May of '02, but nothing seems to replace those feelings for TPM. Went the day it was out May 19th 1999, (no midnight showing though) and I went with my nephew and niece so I had some family and I actually still remember it somewhat (still have ticket stub!). I also worked for a beverage company so I was always in supermarkets seeing all the tie-ins to the movie. Still have and JUST emptied my Pepsi cans from then! They still had their fizz and I had a slight taste but thats it lol. I didn't have much money but had some free coupons from work and watched it another three times. One of the best parts of course was finding my inner kid again by starting what has become an ongoing journey and hobbie of action figures. Darth Maul is still on my wall and I remember how he was so hard to find.

For AOTC, I am so happy I organized a midnight showing with my old college buddies, of which none I talk to anymore. So this was special to me and I went on to see the movie a couple more times at the cheap theatre that summer. I had a little more money so I managed to get a lot more action figures (all the jedi!) including the clones as well.

For ROTS it was that bitterness feeling we all felt, but filled with so much anticipation like the films before and this time we knew we would get what we wanted. This time I was more prepared by taping the trailer and all commercials. I had more money for sneak preview action figures and clones! I ended up seeing it the day it was out in the evening's first showing (i was second in line). I went again with some family and neighbor kids whom since I didn't have a son, reminded me what it was like when I was experiencing the OT.
  5. Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I'm late for this discussion , but for ROTS i have extreme nostalgia for because me and my family went to see the film in a drive in theater ,which is the only time we ever went to a drive in theater, i remember it was a nice night to go and there was even a guy dressed up in a Darth Vader suit passing out glow sticks. I was still a kid then and having a good time watching it making it perhaps my favorite movie theater experiences.
    whostheBossk likes this.
  6. Samwise_Skywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Lately I've been feeling hugely nostalgic about all things Star Wars, especially The Phantom Menace. I of course watched the Star Wars Trilogy as a kid on VHS, but when they started releasing the POTF line and the first THX tapes, I really started getting into it, but due to not having a computer or anything, the lead up to The Phantom Menace was relinquished to news stories and some magazines. I knew next to nothing about it, having maybe only seen the trailer if anything. The film blew my socks off. The audience was like nothing I've experienced before or since. I saw it over 20 times in theaters that summer. It was such a nice time in my life and the film is associated with and a big part of those good memories. The other two were good fun as well, with Sith being the most enjoyable in the line at the theater since me and my friends came prepared with a table, chairs, cards, and a cooler, but Phantom Menace was the first midnight I'd ever gone to and the memory is still vivid.
    Billy_Dee_Binks and FRAGWAGON like this.
  7. Deltron3030 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Waiting all those years for a new Star Wars movie since seeing the OT as a young kid... It was impossible that there was going to be new Star Wars. I couldn't believe it. But I wasn't going to be one of those people waiting on line for 3 days and getting caught up in opening day.

I was in Florida on vacation, leaving a multi-day window to see a Space Shuttle launch at Cape Kennedy. Disappointed beyond believe because the launch was scrubbed outside of my window. Moving on to the Florida Keys, I passed a movie theater on the highway with a small line. "Oh yeah", I thought, "today is TPM day." What the heck, let's stop in the theater and see how long the line was. Turns out, not so bad, so I got in line and saw it on opening day.

On that day, Star Wars definitely changed forever. I wasn't sure what I had just seen, I was kind of stunned.

I don't think any movie will ever be so eagerly anticipated again. It was before the prequels, before 9/11, before George W. Bush vs Al Gore in Florida in the disputed 2000 election, seems like a more innocent world back then.
    Last edited by Deltron3030, Aug 8, 2014
    sarlaccsaurs-rex and FRAGWAGON like this.
  8. sarlaccsaurs-rex Force Ghost

star 4
    I remember seeing AOTC when I was 7 years old in our little Louisville Kentucky movie theatre that just got tore down a few months ago. My dad made me go and I knew nothing of star wars I just wanted to play nascar 2002 on my PS1. My dad was expecting it to be some sort of direct tie in to the OT he ended up hating it (though I was facinated) and then we went to taco bell. I already liked legos and soon found myself buying up a few star wars sets. My dads bar friend then lent me the theatrical vhs set from the early 90s of the OT and the rest was history. I will admit when I first saw aotc I thought dooku was vader, padme was leia, jango was boba, and the clones were stormies LOL. It was all too much for my 7 year old mind. Since then me and my dad now greatly understand the prequels and we love all six movies and most the EU. Oh... the nostalgia. Don't even get me started when my ten year old self got to see ROTS in theaters. I was jumping with joy.
    Last edited by sarlaccsaurs-rex, Aug 10, 2014
    Billy_Dee_Binks and Samnz like this.
  9. Samwise_Skywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    I skipped my high school graduation to see Attack of the Clones. :D
  10. lovelikewinter Jedi Grand Master

star 3

How is that being unappreciative of other fans? People went to what they wanted to go to, and the booing at Hayden in Jedi is more a we hate the changes thing than an attack on the Prequels. Did they boo Greedo shooting as well? Jedi Rocks?
  11. Dranem Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    The prequel era was a great time for me. I was 21 when TPM came out so before that I only had memories of seeing Empire and Return of the Jedi and getting the toys for Christmas in '82 and '83. The mid 90's were all about the great LucasArts games to feed my Star Wars obsession and then she '97 came around with the Special Editions and the PT just around the corner I dived right in. I remember being in my first apartment and having shelves full of the new action figures (I ended up tracking down all of the figures for Episode I) and random plastic lightsaber fights with my best friend and roommate at the time.

Seeing the Phantom Menace the first time was a strange day. I had just gotten off work after doing graveyard shift as was seeing the first show of the day on opening day. I remember just basking in how beautiful it was, being annoyed by Jar Jar but not to the point where it ruined anything, and itching to see it again. I saw it four times in the theater and it grew on me more each time.

The lead up to AOTC was weird as Star Wars seemed to be under critical scrutiny after TPM had divided some of the older fans like myself if not downright alienating some. I for one was intrigued by the intricate political nature of the film and hoped they expanded on it in Clones. When it turned out to be a movie that was basically Obi-Wan (my favorite!) solving a mystery I loved it! I remember the crowd losing their minds at the midnight show when Yoda started flipping around.

Revenge of the Sith was bittersweet. I consider Episodes 3, 4, and 5 the best in the series and I really thought it was the end of the saga at that point. Lucas seemed tired and dejected by the fans that turned against him. As far as the movie goes it was the first of the prequels that I knew instantly would be a classic to me. It is probably the one I watch the most of all 6. I remember after that movie sitting with my friend and ex-roommate and wife in the car and it was just silent and kinda sad. Like our childhood was finally setting like the sun like that shot of Owen and Beru looking out over Tatooine with Luke.

I use Star Wars as a marker for the best things in my life so far. My actual childhood, my growing up in the late 90's and 2000's, and now I have come full circle by having a wife and a soon to be 6 year old son who is just as pumped about Episode VII as me. I definitely have nostalgia for not only the prequels, but Star Wars in general.
    Last edited by Dranem, Aug 10, 2014
  12. MrCody Jedi Master

star 1

The reason his being booed is because they do not like the prequels thats obvious
  13. Deltron3030 Jedi Knight

star 1

That (and "Noooooooo") are the big middle finger changes to the OT. I like Hayden and the prequels but seeing his force ghost at the end of Jedi makes absolutely no sense. The endless tinkering of the OT is a sore point, and Hayden's ghost epitomizes it. It doesn't mean people hate the prequels.

So why do Yoda and Obi-Wan have to suffer their force ghosts as old men but Anakin gets to be a 23-year-old for the rest of eternity? How would Luke recognize someone who is probably younger than he is as his father?
    Last edited by Deltron3030, Aug 11, 2014
  14. lovelikewinter Jedi Grand Master

star 3

Did they boo for anything else? I'm sure Greedo shooting got some reaction, as well as the NOOOOOO! Many fans dislike the changes and since the SEs are the only thing offered, tempers get a little hot. If the option of the OOT or the SEs was out there with both looking good, then a lot of the bitterness would evaporate. Though I think 90% of these showings would use the OOT if given the choice, and then Hayden wouldn't be there to be booed.
    Last edited by lovelikewinter, Aug 11, 2014
  15. Cryogenic Chosen One

star 5
    Luke seeing more currents in the Force as a consequence of his maturing wisdom -- young and old; OT and PT incarnations alike?

Being sensitive to his feelings?

Jedi intuition?

Process of elimination?

He found Anakin's old Facebook account?
  16. MrCody Jedi Master

star 1

No they did not boo for anything else. Thats my point. Plus i like the NOOOOO from vadar
  17. MrCody Jedi Master

star 1
    I see your point, but if you check over the net people are always giving hayden crap, everywhere. So when a bunch of people are booing him at the end of ROTJ. Yes they do not like the change but also they do not like him, who was one of the main characters of the PT. So therefor they most likely didn't like the PT. I agree with you that the ending should not have changed but i just go with it, I like some changes i dislike some.
    sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Or maybe they saw the Shaw version of Anakin first and prefer that one to Hayden. Shaw can work for people like Hayden's works for others.
    Cool about you liking the Darth Vader NOOOOOO but others of us don't.
    lovelikewinter likes this.
  19. Bazinga'd Dark Lord of the SWC/PT/ Spinoff Forums

Manager
    star 5
    @MrCody

MOD Note: Please take a look at the pinned thread in the forum concerning double posts. If you want to add additional material to a post, and assuming its within one hour of the original post, please use the edit function.
    MrCody likes this.
  20. MrCody Jedi Master

star 1

Maybe, but if they are not booing other things they like then im pretty sure its because its Hayden who played in the PT. Thats great buddy
  21. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Not every OT fan hates the PT. Maybe a lot of them don't like the PT as much as they do the OT and that's fine. That's the way it is. There is no way everyone is going to agree on everything. Shaw was their frame of reference for many years. You really expect them to change that on a drop of a dime? The people who prefer Shaw find it as an unnecessary change. No big deal. Change is constant in life but that doesn't mean we have to like every single change that occurs.
  22. MrCody Jedi Master

star 1
    Yeh dislike it, no need to boo thats just sad
    Thoix Heoro likes this.
  23. Thoix Heoro Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I have to admit, if I saw a Star Wars film with other fans and they started booing at any part of the film, it would probably kill my enjoyment.

Luckily, when I saw The Phantom Menace in 3D on opening night at Midnight, it was nothing short of a fantastic experience. Everyone there were fans of the film, so there was a lot of cheering and laughter, even at Jar Jar's antics. I felt right at home with those fans.

I saw it again the following Tuesday with my brother and uncle, but it wasn't as alive as the Midnight showing. Still, there was no booing from the audience and the kids seeing it for the first time or just on the big screen were into it. No one seemed peeved in having to watch it, so it was still a good experience.
    Last edited by Thoix Heoro, Aug 15, 2014
  24. Dinos4Ever Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I'll admit I have nostalgia for The Phantom Menace. It was the 90's, and with my OT love in full swing with the Special Edition VHS releases, The Phantom Menace was epic. Though, even as a kid at the time (aged 6), I still felt that the movie pandered a bit too much to kids. The OT, to me, was a teen's movie about cool teenagers and young adults speeding around the galaxy getting into fights and making witty remarks. The Phantom Menace, especially Jar Jar, just had too many silly moments for my taste.
  25. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    Im an old head, in 99 when TPM came out, I was a stock boy at a grocery store, Star Wars was everywhere, I saw ROTJ when I was a kid, but never saw the others. A coworker at the time was given two tickets to see TPM. I think someone else said it, but it was a beautiful movie, reminded me of Never Ending Story, it just felt magical. BUT... I didnt get it. I had questions, why was the gold robot missing his shell, this pod racer kid was supposed to be armored villain in black that Luke Skywalker beat up? Prior to see TPM the only thing I knew was ROTJ. And it wasnt my favorite movie from the 80s, movies like Goonies, Ghost busters n Back to the Future were the classics of my childhood. ROTJ just didnt pull me in like those other movies. The scene Ill always remember as a child was Vader taking off the mask. Still one of my favorite scenes even now. TPM gave me a new view of star wars. The mystery of Palpatine, Qui Gon the wizard, Padmes love for her people, the visuals, the light saber fights. I had to watch it again. I had no clue it I would like it so much. The ending where obiwan tells anakin he will train him, was my main memory n reminded me that Yoda was in ROTJ. I wanted to see more.
    sarlaccsaurs-rex and FRAGWAGON like this.
Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785