main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prequel References in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthHomer, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyDarkstar

MyDarkstar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 8, 2014
    It's definitely from the OT. I remember seeing "Darth Vader - Sith Lord" written on either a collection card or in a companion book for Ep IV.

2. MyDarkstar

MyDarkstar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 8, 2014

oh, ha - didn't even notice it said "PT" not "OT" on the title of this thread

is there not an OT reference thread already ? I'll repost those into the thread if there is one, but I don't feel like making a new thread if there isn't.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Then that would be a EU thing and not OT or PT.

I actually don't think there is A OT reference thread.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  4. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    The first 10 minutes of the ROTS are better than the entire TFA? Seriously? A decent space battle scene (which should have been better) spoiled by silly bug droids, followed by R2 providing pointless slapstick with his oil slick, extremely forced humour between Obi-Wan and Anakin, Obi Wan getting crushed by a 2 ton walkway but still manages to walk,General Grevious in general (not a fan). Don't get me wrong, I like aspects of the ROTS but I find your comparison way of the mark.

Strongbow and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  5. Trooper100471

Oct 20, 2015
    Well things like Kylo defelcting bolts, Leia looking crestfallen like Yoda in ROTS, The Force Awakens have the same amount of words as The Phantom Menace, R2-D2 and C-3PO...they seem like SW saga common staples and coincidences as opposed to direct referencing of the PT

6. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Couldn't agree more. IMO, the opening of ROTS (right up until they crash on Coruscant) is the worst and most annoyingly cartoony part of that film. And on the whole, TFA is so much better than ROTS that I can't even contemplate comparing them.

Trooper100471 likes this.
  7. Trooper100471

Oct 20, 2015
    The deleted scene(s) from this opening are even worse tbh

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  8. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

ROTS doesn't fall into as many of the same traps (and for the record I do really enjoy ROTS despite it's faults) but it is really unfortunate that the tonal inconsistency we saw in TPM/AOTC continues in the film. The Buzz droids kill me every time and ruin an otherwise really good sequence (at least momentarily). It blows my mind that stuff like that wasn't left on the cutting room floor.

The other thing that bothers me is how Obi-Wan and Anakin don't take any of the Droids or Grevious seriously.. kind of ruins any chance of dramatic tension.

As I said though, i still do really enjoy the film for the most part despite these things

Trooper100471 likes this.
  9. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    agree about grievous, but not the droids. that would be illogical.

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Just thought of another. Wasn't the Force push introduced in the PT? The Force push to Rey just before the duel would be a reference in that case

11. Shaak Ti

Dec 22, 2015
    Vader got force pushed in rotj no?

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    When he fell down the stairs? That was from getting kicked.

13. Shaak Ti

Dec 22, 2015
    force kick and throw are different.

14. OneTrueOverlord

OneTrueOverlord Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Would Phasma's armour count? I know Pablo Hidalgo said it came from Palpatine's Naboo cruiser (not seen in the Prequels but it's the same type as Amidala's) but was that ever considered by Abrams and Kasadan?

15. DarthPoojaNaberrie

DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Master star 5

Jun 21, 2005
    talk of balance in the force

B99 and Strongbow like this.
  16. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Not especially funny joke but yeah it's little nod to discussion fans have had since AOTC "Are stormtroopers clones?" But still it could have a deeper meaning.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  17. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014

Yeah, we never see a Force Push in the OT. We see Force Pull, Force Block, and Force Jump. But we don't see Force Push until TPM.

Pancellor Chalpatine likes this.
  18. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    It's all just telekinesis... is there really any different between vader throwing stuff at Luke with the force and someone pushing someone with the force? Meh, not really to me

19. DarthPoojaNaberrie

DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Master star 5

Jun 21, 2005
    Not really but I started my Sw journey playing jedi knight and jedi outcast where you have to earn powers separately. So in my mind I differentiate ;)

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  20. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Still have a softspot for Jedi Academy... .really underrated game.

Seagoat and Shaak Ti like this.
  21. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I don't know if it has been mentioned earlier, but the moment when Rey touches Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber, you can hear Obi-Wan's voices speaking to Rey and he says the following:

Link: http://www.starwars.com/news/the-10...rce-awakens?cmp=smc|326184967&linkId=20223617

It is both the voices of Ewan McGregor and Alec Guiness when this is being said: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...r-s-Obi-Wan-Kenobis-hidden-Force-Awakens.html

JJ has confirmed that Ewan McGregor was cast for only a short time to do the voices.

22. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Darth Vaders helmet and Anakin Skywalker's lightsabre already mentioned .. right? Cos they were in the PT first chronologically..

23. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    Probably someone mentioned it already but the missiles flying around were first seen in AOTC. Maz's hideout was reminicent of the Jedi Temple and the control center on Starkiller base looked like the building Chancellor Palpatine lived in.

And if I am remembering correctly, all the aimed blasters shot red beams in the OT, but in TPM the droids shot red and the Naboo guns shot blue, I think but not entirely sure.

24. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    Naboo shot green, but republic shot blue. I mentioned it early in the thread that that was one big prequel reference I noticed.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  25. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    [​IMG]

and

Finn's
    thumbs up

:p

MJ

AshiusX and minnishe like this.
Thread Status: