main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prequel References in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthHomer, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    - From a certain point of view, Kylo, a dark side apprentice, wields three red lightsaber blades.

- In the first trilogy, Maul and Tyranus, dark side apprentices, wield a total of three red lightsaber blades.

Blatant prequel reference!

2. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Well actually that is a bit of a Prequel tradition, to introduce new and unique lightsaber designs with every movie so that's not so far off!

3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    No no no, it's all about the numbers! ;)

4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well that is part of the process that Lucas set up in the first place. He wants you to extrapolate. He isn't just simply going to tell you everything in an interview. He gives the basics and points some things out but he isn't doing an image by image breakdown for all 6 movies.

Which is exactly the kind of thing some fans do.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...larity-filled-arcs-starkly-contrast.50041534/

Lucas has his own "mystery box" but it's based on the visual storytelling across all 6 movies and what's more he doesn't really tell you it's a mystery but poetry and intricately connected like a clock. So whether anyone wants to see the just the shape of the clock or break it down to the seconds is up to them.

How mysterious is it is up to the individual.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    o_O

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think the reference to the PT I enjoyed most was Maz's mention of the Sith. Loved that-the first non-PT mention of the Sith, involving characters from the OT in the conversation, no less. Some nice continuity there.

I also liked the mention of a clone army-referenced not as if it were a new idea, but as if it was an option, or had been used before (which of course it has.) I also agree that the introduction of a different kind of lightsaber was a nice similarity to Darth Maul's or Mace Windu's.

I also liked some of the general visual comparisons, like the planetary ring around D'Qar, the brief look we got of Hosnian Prime (not unlike Coruscant), or the way they showed the gathered FO army, certain ships, etc. IMO a lot of the visuals/effects were a nice mix of PT and OT aesthetic.

7. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I'm still kinda disappointed that they removed all of the podrace flags that were part of Maz Kanata's flag collection in the trailer from the final film; it was a nice reference, their presence made sense and they certainly did not harm the film being there.

Is what I heard about them being taken out after people said they noticed them in the trailers really true or was it done for another reason?

8. srg

srg Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2016
    Yes, I second that... Podrace flags were a great, subtle nod. Here's what I've read about their removal: http://io9.gizmodo.com/j-j-abrams-nixed-a-very-weird-prequel-reference-in-th-1774459977 I hope that by 'coming up with their own stuff' J.J. was referring just to the flags and not the film in general. Because, well... The amount of 'own stuff' in TFA is not something he should boast about.

darklordoftech, DARTH_BELO and B99 like this.
  9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    they didn't want podracing flags because it didn't make sense. it's a gangster/pirate hangout far away from tatooine.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  10. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Wouldn't Podracing and betting be super popular amongst gangsters?

Taylore likes this.
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    maybe but they wouldn't have a bunch of flags from one podrace that took place on a distant planet 66 years ago.

12. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Those Podracers don't have to have only been in one race though. Although I did find the Anakin flag to be dumb too, so I see your point.

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. I don't see why Anakin's (and some others) would've been there, so that makes sense to remove it. But I also agree that podracers wouldn't have only been in the one race. My guess is the racers we saw in TPM alone are ones that actively participate in races across the galaxy. In fact this is alluded to in TPM with the audience's familiarity with most of the pilots.

14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Did they?

I don't know. It's all kind of bizarre anyway for the next to nothing of a second they were onscreen.

I think that someone put them in without JJ's knowledge and when he found out he had them removed (of some of them or whatever).

It's kind of useless because the difference is meaningless. We know they were/are there at some point so it's kind of all the same.

Like I said before maybe in JJ's mind Maz having both Anakin's Lightsaber and his racing flag was too much even for him to accept.

JJ's response made no sense at all anyway:

The flags are designed to drive superfans nuts with references to the earlier movies, but Abrams tells Guyett that too many of them allude to the first of Lucas’ prequels: “I don’t want to be too about podracers,” he says. “I’d rather come up with our stuff.”

“I’d rather come up with our stuff.”

JJ would have to erase the entire movie to accomplish that goal!

[face_laugh]

Ezon Pin likes this.
  15. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

Did this really happen, or is it a myth? I haven't seen a shot-by-shot comparison of the trailer version, and the final film version. Anyone have that available?

16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

Nearly all of the flags changed, in fact. The only reference to previous movies that remained was the Mandalorian skull, and even that changed colour a bit

Also, a little thing I'm going to say. Technically, the clone army mention is closer to PT reference because the only reference to the Clone Wars in the OT was the name itself, dropped only once. Never did Obi-Wan mention that there was a clone army itself

Makes me wonder if that line was just thrown in to sound cool or not. But it got us something frigging awesome, so I'm not complaining

Banana-Wan Kenobi likes this.
  17. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    On the center right side of both pics,looks like Hondo's gang symbol, might not be but!
    If not it bugs me all these flags, and don't know any of them..
    [​IMG]

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They would if Maz owned an Applebee's. Applebee's needs some design help. Hmmmmm Applebee's...

19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    LMAO

20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Mentioned this in another thread, but Hosnian Prime is essentially Discount Coruscant.

Banana-Wan Kenobi likes this.
  21. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Dammit Chorus, I want an apple pie now. And I don't know if Applebee's even serves that

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If they do it is a bargain at $9 per slice.

23. Banana-Wan Kenobi

Banana-Wan Kenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2016

Not where I'm at....Raised the price on those babies extensively..

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I suspected I was lowballing the cost as I posted it. Rotten cheats.

Banana-Wan Kenobi and Seagoat like this.
  25. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    HOLY **** CHORUS CHANGED HIS AV FROM THE CREEPY CHILDREN

The FO symbol is spreading to everyone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.