main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prequel References in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by haterofnone, Dec 14, 2017.

1. haterofnone

haterofnone Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2015
    Without any spoilers were there any references to events or characters from the prequels in The Last Jedi? The biggest ones in TFA was the "balance to the force" and "clones" line.

2. Jamie1001

Jamie1001 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 16, 2014

Luke mentioning Darth Sidious and the old Jedi Order was about the only reference I noticed. Oh and the Jedi Order symbol on the book.

3. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Kylo spinning in his little Tie fighter ... 'Spinning's a good trick" right?

4. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Luke says "Lasersword". Last time a lightsaber was called that was in TPM.

5. haterofnone

haterofnone Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2015
    That's disappointing. Given the fact that the director loved the prequels and the clone wars I figured he'd put in more easter eggs.

Bowen and Zinnzade like this.
  6. Ghost_of_QuiGonJinn

Ghost_of_QuiGonJinn Jedi Master

Feb 12, 2011
    There are actually many, many references to the PT in both The Force Awakens and TLJ, but they are mainly done through mirroring and echoing specific shots from the PT.

In TLJ, there is a scene between Kylo and Rey where the aspects of the dialogue, shot framing, colors and even costumes, directly mirror a scene between Anakin and Padme on Mustafar (when Anakin asks her to join him in ruling the galaxy). Interestingly, that shot is switched around by Rian, so that Kylo is standing where Padme would have been, and Rey is standing where Anakin would have been. There are many references of this manner, if you know where to look :)

7. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Darth Sidious rather than Palpatine or the Emperor was the main one.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

8. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    AOTC had the Sonic Charges and Ben Burtt used the idea of silence to depict the blast. This was done with Holdo's light speed suicide run. I like the idea of re-using a 'sound effect' from the PT.

9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think some of the references are more subtle, like snoke Calling Kylo his apprentice which isn't a OT thing, although maybe it's in the legends novels before the PT was out for all I know.

Even Rey referring Luke's academy as the Jedi order seemed more aimed at the prequels then legends books.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  10. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    luke almost killed ben in his sleep like palps did to plagueis.

12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Oh gosh not this thread again. lol. After first 10 pages ppl start postings separate pics of two different trees from two movies and claims it's a reference..

TheDutchman, MeBeJedi, ZodaEX and 6 others like this.
  13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    The first Jedi Temple was actually shaped the same way as the Jedi Temple in the prequels.

14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I noticed the little Police ships on Canto Bight made same sound as the ones as in TCW on Courscant.. Kinda shaped same way too..

thejeditraitor likes this.
  15. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    The entire movie. All of it.

It's a false prequel, which is why the reception is so. A Phantom Menace but without the Phantom "essence".
    To be more specific, the movie mainly consist of plot points to AOTC and ROtS while meshing the over-arching core is TESB. The "cold" and "hot" passionate bond between Rey and Kylo/Burning Passion of the the Fire scene of Padme and Anakin. A moment of weakness to "fix" someone despite them being dangerous(Padme/Rey) a Mystery of the____ to figure out(Clones).

AOTC 2.0

spacebaby45678 and ezekiel22x like this.
  16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I noticed the little Police ships on Canto Bight made same sound as the ones as in TCW on Courscant.. Kinda shaped same way too..

17. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Now I remember why I left.

jaqen likes this.
  18. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    There are probably some coincidences but i think its unfair to there are things that probably are subtle references.

I mean people mention the kylo spinning the ship as a call back to the PT but id have said it was just a coincidence but you never know it might have been intentional.

19. minion101

minion101 Jedi Master

Apr 16, 2015
    TLJ was as bad as TPM - maybe worse as I watched TPM 3 times at the cinema and I don’t want to see TLJ again. How’s that for a reference?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwustudent, ZodaEX and phatdude1138 like this.
  20. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    I felt like Luke actually gave a really beautiful 1 sentence summary of the PT when he talked about the Jedi in their prime letting Sideous take over everything. That little bit made up for there being almost nothing else. Cause it was the whole essence of the PT.

And it's cool because I think Luke's point actually gets lost on viewers who mistakenly saw the PT with the Jedi as the infallible heroes. Also felt like Rey's retort summed up how I view th OT.

21. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Kylo spinning like his grandfather in TPM and ROTS.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the Kylo/Leia and Kylo/Rey sensing each other reminds me a little bit of Anakin/Padme sensing each during ROTS.

Luke mentioning Darth Sidious, the formation of the Empire, and fall of the Jedi.

Kylo asking Rey to join him and rule the Galaxy, much like Vader asking Padmé the same thing in ROTS. I mean yes, this might simply be a callback to Vader/Luke in ROTJ, but the fire, color scheme, and such reminds me way more of Vader/Padmé in ROTS.

Senator Wan and Shaak Ti like this.
  22. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    DP due to forum issues

23. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Why do we need bashers in all threads? Gee, you people are boring as hell !

There are other threads where bashers can go to destroy the discussion. Please go there and leave us to try to find real prequel references, thanks.

To call TLJ of AOTC or TPM, no matter how snarky you think you are, is not either a criticism nor a prequel reference. Is just you trying to bog down a valid discussion.

24. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Kylo spinning like his grandfather in TPM and ROTS.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the Kylo/Leia and Kylo/Rey sensing each other reminds me a little bit of Anakin/Padme sensing each during ROTS.

Luke mentioning Darth Sidious, the formation of the Empire, and fall of the Jedi.

Kylo asking Rey to join him and rule the Galaxy, much like Vader asking Padmé the same thing in ROTS. I mean yes, this might simply be a callback to Vader/Luke in ROTJ, but the fire, color scheme, and such reminds me way more of Vader/Padmé in ROTS.

dolphin likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke saying Darth Sidious was really awesome and basically tearing a strip off the old Jedi order.

SlashMan, DarthTalonx and melkor834 like this.
  26. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think the biggest references were in the music. Lots of hints from all the prequel scores.