main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prequel References in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by haterofnone, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    In TPM, the hyperdrive being damaged plays a big part in shaping the events of the film. In TLJ, the dwindling fuel supply for the hyperdrive plays a big part in shaping the events of the film.

2. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    In AOTC, Padme and Anakin disobey orders, go to Geonosis where they infiltrate a Separatist base in an attempt to save Obi-Wan, they fail, and then are captured. In TLJ, Rose and Finn disobey orders, go to Canto Bight where they meet DJ who helps them infiltrate the Supremacy in an attempt to disable the tracker, they fail, and then are captured.

3. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    There are too many good and solid references to the PT in TLJ. I hope this means those movies are starting to receive the respect they deserve.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Luke Skywalker said the name Darth Sidious.
    Luke Skywalker.
    Said.
    Darth Sidious.

There is nothing left.

5. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Rey shaking off her hands and wrists the moment she is uncuffed by the binders.

Palpatine shakes off his wrists and hands the moment he is freed from the binders on the chair aboard Invisible Hand at the start of ROTS.

6. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    Luke grew up on Tatooine far from the core of the Empire. He knew nothing of it or its history out there. It stands to reason that after Coruscant was freed he would have learned more about how the Empire came to power and his father's role in it. To not name the Emperor by his real title would have been odd. It is, after all, one long series

Shaak Ti likes this.
  7. Plan741

Dec 22, 2015
    Luke always had a very black and white point of view. Most are quick to point out that Sidious was "right under their noses", but not really. The jedi were aware of many currents of danger and treachery, but were sworn to protect and serve the machinery of the Republic. Chaos and corruption was rife, even in the very Senate and leadership (much like in real life), but not in a way that just screamed EVIL at the top of its lungs. Therein lies the brilliance of Sidious' plan. The Jedi stood against threats from without while sheltering the within, responding to a myriad of immediate threats against the galaxy at once. In their appointed duty to preserve the Republic, they couldn't fathom that it was becoming a sharpened stake pointed at their back until it was too late. All that matters is that they tried to protect the peace with their dying breaths unto the last, despite their flaws as individuals and collectively as an order.

8. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    If Luke never found out that a Sith Lord named Darth Sidious had orchestated a constitutional coup that was secured with the Holocaust of his predecessors, the Jedi order, then Luke would be an even worse Jedi than he's already been made out in concurrent arguments to this one about Luke's depiction.

Nominating him Emperor tacitly endorses his authority and the legitimacy of the Imperialist era.

Eternal_Jedi and StartCenterEnd like this.
  9. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    I like Luke using the name Darth Sidious. It shows Luke did his homework to find out the history of events that lead to where we are currently.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  10. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    As other people have touched upon, Luke uttering the name Darth Sidious is THE stand out nod to the Prequel Trilogy in my eyes.
    Kinda threw me for a moment when I first heard Luke say it..

Glitterstimm likes this.
  11. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, it's really weird to hear.

Bor Mullet and Jcuk like this.
  12. Plan741

Dec 22, 2015
    That it was. I remember picking my 7 year old jaw up off the floor when Vader hauled Luke in front of this withered old man and the look on Lukes face when the emperor triggered the lock on his manacles from across the room with the force. It was the exact same maneuver I had to perform when Palpatine drew his saber from within his sleeve too. Sidious was the one name drop that had quite a bit of umph throughout. That man was superbad

13. Sab Jo

Sab Jo Jedi Master star 2

Jul 2, 2013
    The morally ambiguous for hire Jango pauses and says, "possibly".

The morally ambiguous for hire DJ pauses and says, "maybe".

MarcJordan likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The most brilliant prequel reference is how they finally made Luke Padme's son. He inexplicably changes his wardrobe on a constant basis... even at the most unreasonable times. When he watches the Falcon leave Ahch-To in his stylish brown uni and immeditely puts on his white outfit to commit arson and then opts for a classic sleek black ensemble for his public appearance he embodies Naboo royalty.

Bananakin_, Shaak Ti, Jcuk and 7 others like this.
  15. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I can't wait to see what he wears to his funeral.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    A jappor snippet.

Sab Jo and JoshieHewls like this.
  17. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I hope that's not all.

18. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    He also loses the will to live.

19. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Or to shave.

Not that his mother ever did. We don't know.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  20. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    Man, how did we never put this together. Also, like Luke, Padme was into deceiving people via decoys

[​IMG]

21. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Ring theory lives.

Shaak Ti, Sab Jo and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Can you imagine the fan reaction if he'd sent Kiera Knightley to Crait instead?

Shaak Ti, rorow1, Bor Mullet and 2 others like this.
  23. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    It's from the TFA, but the scene where the Resistance ships are flying above the water on their way to attack the FO at Maz's castle is very similar to the Separatists flying above the water on their way to attack Republic and Wookiee troops on Kashyyyk from ROTS.

Shaak Ti and MarcJordan like this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Further confirmed by the deleted scene of Luke in a white spandex outfit and exposed midriff. Johnson reasoned that it was one fashion statement too many.

Sab Jo and rorow1 like this.
  25. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Besides DJ muttering it when Rose and Finn reject his offer of help, is "Ha-Tuk-ga." only ever heard said by Sebulba in TPM?

I figure it means "suit yourself" or something to that effect, when DJ says it. But it felt more like a threat or an insult. If anyone can recall the translation from TPM subs that would be cool.

Shaak Ti and Sab Jo like this.