main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prequel References in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by haterofnone, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    A lot of what we can read about Hitler in history books would not have been known by his enemies in his life time. A lot of what we know about evil dictators is discovered after they are defeated, dead. They have a lot of secrets but those are exposed by their enemies after they are gone.

There are a number of ways Luke could have learned about Darth Sidious. Most of Luke's family history was hidden from him growing up. I imagine he fully investigated what he could learn about Palpatine's rise to power and his parents too.

It's often forgotten that Jedi can use the Force to not only see the future but the past as well. Like the visions Rey had touching the Anakin/Luke's lightsaber. Luke touching any of Palpatine's personal possessions would have revealed a lot to him.

Shaak Ti and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    If you wanted to get technical isn't there supposedly one of the clones still alive in ROTJ? I can't remember which one it is but yeah.

Either way there are many ways Luke could have found out historical events.

3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Another prequel reference was Snoke's "prophecy". We now know that Rey is the Light side rising to Kylo Ren's Dark side rising. Snoke's prophecy was that it was Luke Skywalker but "misread the prophecy was" so whereas the Jedi prophecy was correct but doubted by the Jedi and Skywalker really was the Chosen One Snoke's prophecy was wrong (and he didn't doubt that he was right, evil doesn't) and it wasn't a Skywalker.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Snoke calling Kylo his apprentice feels prequel-esk in general.

I mean maybe it was already a thing in the books before episode 1 but i imagine Episode 1 was the first to acknowledge to audiences that there is always a master and an apprentice

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  5. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Yoda called Vader Obi-Wan's apprentice in Empire.

Shaak Ti and B99 like this.
  6. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Ohhhhh, my bad.

7. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    This thread...

B99 likes this.
  8. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013

Shaak Ti likes this.
  9. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Another prequel throw back is the scene of Rey from the side after she lays down in the transport to head off to Snoke's ship. Same angle as the shot of Padme during her funeral procession.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Quoted for truth.

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    And that pod is a coffin. Of course she is going to Kylo Ren as Padme went to Vader to get Ben/Anakin back and both were offered the chance to join which breaks Rey/Padme's heart.

12. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Agreed. From the small window, to her position inside it, how she crossed her arms, the symbology was clear.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  13. datatapes

datatapes Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2016
    He was born Sheev Palpatine. Darth Sidious was the name he was given when he became a Sith, as Anakin was given the name Darth Vader. That doesn't mean that Sidious was his true or only correct name.

14. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    To quote Bill:

And the Star Wars Databank:

Unlike Vader, Sheev Palpatine was always the mask. The seemingly kind politician is just his costume for the day to fool the public into giving him more power under the Jedi's noses. His "disguise" when he deals with crooks and cronies of the Separatists, Trade Federation, Bounty Hunters and all unsavory figures is what he eventually wore permanently in the public sphere once he turned the Republic into an Empire. That is his true look and it's first associated with Darth Sidious chronologically.

15. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Was watching this video about the mirroring of the PT and OT and while some of it could be coincidental it does seem kinda interesting that some of these may have been on lucas mind

I imagine there are some bits like this in TLJ but i think it could drive you mad trying to figure out what is a subtle mirror or reference and whats just coincidence

Silent Android likes this.
  16. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    Modern libraries here on Earth have books, magazines, newspapers, records, tapes, CDs, DVDs and computers. Likewise, the Jedi Library also had a multi-media circulation.

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    also the fathier escape sounds similar to the speeder chase in ep 2.

and finn says, "we need cover!" like ep 7.

he moonlight scene with the fathiers is like the anakin moonlight assault of the tuskens. ep 2.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  19. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Rey: "Something inside me, has always been there....I don't know what it is and what do with it...."
    Luke: "You need a teacher. I can't teach you....." (Luke's own counsel won't allow it)

Anakin: "They live inside me?"
    Qui Gon: Inside your cells yes. They continually speak to us. Telling us the Will of the Force
    Anakin: "I don't understand"
    Qui Gon: "With time and training you will..." (but he can't teach Anakin- the Council won't let him)

Just saying....

MJ

Shaak Ti and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  20. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Fathier race = pod race

Really, the entire design and look of Canto Bight reminded me a lot of the prequels, especially TPM and AOTC

21. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    I wasn't being all anti-PT or anything. I was actually just groaning about how a majority of these hardly qualify as references, but you know, if that's the only issue, this is one of the better threads around here of late.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    WatTamborWoo likes this.
  22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh ****. Almost posted bootleg pics without thinking lol. But I'll just type it

Anakin: "Together, we can rule the galaxy."
    Padme: "You're a good person, don't do this."
    Padme: "You're going down a path I can't follow."

Kylo: "We can rule together and brine a new order to the galaxy."
    Rey: "Don't do this, Ben."
    Rey: "Please don't go this way."

One can argue the TLJ conversation references more Vader's offer to Luke (which itself is already being referenced by the ROTS conversation), but I definitely consider it a more poignant repeat of Anakin and Padme on Mustafar, more so since it's the trilogy's main male Skywalker and main female protag. Not gonna even get into the fact that Padme/Anakin is a romance and Rey and Kylo Ren might be heading somewhere, but by saying I won't say it, I've said it and I might have caused a riot

23. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    @Seagoat may I ask one question, I and others have shared https://starwarsscreencaps.com/ a lot, is this allowed?

I thought that static images were ok as long as they were released on home media? For example, TLJ screen caps will of course be obtained though illegal means until the Bluray release, and this is what makes them bootleg?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Seagoat likes this.
  24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Ja. That website's fine. It's just posting pics from, say, someone's phone at the theatre, that's not allowed. So for the time being, only TLJ pics that are ok to post are shots from the official trailers, till it comes out on home media

Shaak Ti and Ricardo Funes like this.
  25. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I have failed you...
    [​IMG]