main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prequel References in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by haterofnone, Dec 14, 2017.

1. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    One of the better parts of the ST were the references to the OT and PT. As to why the rest of the ST doesn't connect as I'm sure Lucas intended it to, is beyond me.

But yes, TFA reference about Clone Stormtroopers. Excellent.

TLJ references by Luke on the fall of the Jedi Order, rise of Palpatine. Excellent.

Should have had a moment where the troopers/rebels themselves face Luke/other Jedi and say "Everyone, focus your fire on... (lightsaber ignites)... on the Jedi!"

Shaak Ti likes this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    You don't need to bring this up in every thread.

3. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Sidious : Do what must be done, Lord Vader. Do not hesitate. Show no mercy. Only then will you be strong enough with the dark side to save Padme
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kylo Ren: When the moment came i did not hesitate. (Note: Need to go back to the situation in TFA just before Han was impaled, Kylo said "I know what I have to do but I don't know if I have the strength to do it.") Also just before this Kylo said " I've given everything I have to you... to the Dark Side"

MJ

4. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Ric Olie : The shield generators been hit!
    Cpt Panaka: If can't get shield generator fixed we'll be like sitting ducks!
    R2 saves the day
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Poe: BB8 my weapons systems are down!. We've got to take out that last canon or our bombers are toast !
    BB8 saves the day

MJ

5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    So if two sentences from PT and TLj have the same word in it you gonna post it?

6. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    I happen to like MJ's posts. They show how subtly TLJ has mirrored the other movies.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    From the director's commentary on the digital release

[​IMG]

Shaak Ti, Knoah, BigAl6ft6 and 6 others like this.
  8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Luke telling Kylo "I failed you," recalls Obi-Wan telling Anakin the same thing on Mustafar.

9. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I love this line, and everything about this fight, because it does so much work in thematically tying the ST and Kylo's fall to the PT. Kylo's relationship to Luke reflects Anakin's frustration towards the Jedi order. I think VIII in general explores Kylo's fall in a way that very much harkens back to the PT.

To go further, the fear and grief over what happened to his mother is a big factor in what drives Anakin to the dark side, and it looks like we'll be revisiting the mother-son dynamic with Kylo in some form in IX.

Shaak Ti and Krueger like this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Rian points out that he made deliberate connections back to the PT.

thejeditraitor and MarcJordan like this.
  11. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
  12. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Except Luke regrets losing the books, states he isn’t the last Jedi, Rey saves the books, and the legend of Luke lives on.

Luke’s philosophy is when he’s cut off from the Force. At the end he’s back, having handed the torch to Rey, the new Jedi. And maybe Broom Boy, a slave like Luke and Leia’s father.

Interestingly, Ren and Luke seem to agree no more Jedi, no more Sith. And Ren and Snoke are neither. But Rey doesn’t let th Jedi Order die.

Though the following is from TFA, Lor talks about the Jedi bringing balance.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  13. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I've been thinking about the way that Luke implores Rey "Don't do this." just as Padme did with Anakin on Mustafar.

14. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    laser swords

ALL THREE TIRLOGIES

15. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Oh, yes yes yes. To be sure.

Then of course there's the whole thing in TFA about the village with people in it who died just like there was in Episode II and people in that one died too but they were sandpeople.

Then of course there's the whole thing in Episode II about an evil Sith Lord working to take down the Republic, while in Episode VIII you had Snoke--a [Sith Lord[/in all but name--who was trying to take down the Resistance.

It's subtle.

It is also kind of kind of poetic in that it kind of "rhmes" in a way also kind of

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  16. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Sounds like another Anakin vs Obi-Wan callback to me.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  17. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    "Salt?"

"I don't like salt. It's rough, course and gets everywhere..."

I liked the references to the PT like Luke's speech about the Jedi, Sidious etc. Frankly I think it needed MORE references to make this one cohesive saga - e.g. Ren to Rey... Has anyone ever told you the Tragedy of Darth Plaguis the Wise?

And it could have taken a cue from the PT and OT by setting up the state of the galaxy. And show us what happened in between ROTJ and TFA (to be fair this needed to be in TFA though).

Shaak Ti likes this.
  18. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Probably has been mentioned, but R2 and BB8 had similar fighting scenes taking place on the ships of the enemy.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  19. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Luke is the clone army that he feels the galaxy shouldn't be tempted to send to war. Nor that he should be tempted to assume that role.

Ahch-to is the Kamino.

MarcJordan likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Kylo tempts Rey scene to join him is very much like Vader/Luke and Vader/Padme, which is deliberate.

MarcJordan and thejeditraitor like this.
  21. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002

The death of han Solo killed by Kylo Ren reminds me of Anakin force choking padme simliar to how both characters are trying to save and redeem from the Darkside they cared for and loved.

There was a little bit of prequel reference in The Force Awakens.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Shaak Ti likes this.
  22. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    I wondered whether the necklace of Paige and Rose Tico was connected to the Jedi Order/Jedha/Guardians of Whills in any way? It felt like Williams' music hinted at the tingles you felt as Luke contacted Leia through the Force in ESB. Would have been nice anyhow.

I also liked the Jedi Temple march and similar Trooper entry to the Base in TLJ. I wish we had more of that though!

23. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I don't count this as a direct reference, but there's a fun coincidence of C-3PO recognizing his former master after a long absence:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
  25. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    In TPM, R2 fixes the shield generator. In TLJ, BB8 fixes the cannons.

MarcJordan likes this.