main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prequel References in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by haterofnone, Dec 14, 2017.

1. OGGUNGAN

OGGUNGAN Jedi Master

Dec 8, 2014
    I could be wrong and its been awhile sense I've scene the the episode but is the force projection in this movie similar to Dooku,sidious projection in the yoda/morriban clone wars episode

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Hmmm. :\

3. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    The music as we head toward the cruiser in the opening scene was from the opening of Sith.

The closeups of the Resistance fighter pilots and of Amazon and Kenobi in Sith again in the opening battle.

Luke retreating after he falls with Rey raising the sword reminded me of Mace and Palpatine.

Luke looking at the twin suns reminds me of the end of Sith as Kenobi holds baby Luke. I think Lucas said the twin suns represented the Skywalker twins. So is th setting sun Luke and the sun high in the sky Leia? Or is it Rey?

4. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Leia closing the doors on Crait but Finn and Rose's ship just scrapes in - Revenge of the Sith, its how Anakin and Obi Wan get on Grevious' ship
    Luke using a decoy to distract Kylo- The Phantom Menace, Padme uses Sabe to confuse the Trade Federation. 'After her, this one is a decoy'
    Luke dying as the suns set- Shmi's line of 'You can't stop the change, any more than you can stop the suns from setting'- The Phantom Menace. Sort of retroactive but everytime Luke's life changes the sun sets on the old.
    Leia in the Medical bay all in white under strong light- Revenge of the Sith, Padme on Polis Massa
    I have failed you- Revenge of the Sith, Mustafar
    Luke loses the will the live and goes to an island to die- Revenge of the Sith, a mix of Padme and Obi Wan there.
    Kylo offering Rey to join with him and rule the galaxy- Revenge of the Sith, its a mix of Revenge and Empire. The dialogue errs to Revenge
    Kylo shrugs off his cape dramatically before fighting decoy Luke- Revenge of the Sith, both Anakin and Obi Wan do this.
    Broom Boy's 'Woohoo'- The Phantom Menace, Anakin in the N1 Starfighter
    Leia looking out to Crait and bowing her head as the First Order approaches- The Phantom Menace, Padme looks out as the Trade Federation invade Naboo and bows her head

Clone Wars Bonus- Rey and Ben fighting over Anakin's Lightsaber echoes the battle between the Son and the Daughter of Mortis holding out their hands and pushing against each other equally.

Both the suns are setting, one will just go before the other

5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Oh boy..

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Finn steps in **** on Crait.

B99 likes this.
  7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Huh?? which part? I didn't hear it.

8. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Trumpets.

Sounded to me like from Battle of Heroes.

Senator Wan, spacebaby45678 and B99 like this.
  9. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005

I like my mirrors, sue me :p

10. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Right. But we see only one set. So, I’m curious if there is symbolism parallel inh

Shaak Ti likes this.
  11. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Anakin's lightsaber broke in AOTC. Anakin's lightsaber broke in TLJ.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    There are posts in this thread that are quite troll-ish, and I'd hate to have to ban people because they won't let others enjoy a discussion just because they don't find it worthy.
    Keep this very simple rule in mind: if you have nothing to add to the discussion, then don't post.

13. Knoah

Knoah Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2017
    Was Hayden's voice in the movie?

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    No, unfortunately no Hayden in the movie.

Count Yubnub and wobbits like this.
  15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I definitely cracked a smile with Kylo's spin trick. Elsewhere Finn getting shocked and momentarily incapacitated reminded me of Jar Jar getting stunned by the pod racer. Slave boy inspired by the Jedi seemed like a pretty obvious nod.

16. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    Agree on the music sounding like prequels. That is probably the biggest throwback.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  17. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm not sure if it was an intentional reference, but both Kylo and Rey pulling at the Skywalker lightsaber definitely reminded me of this moment.

[​IMG]

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Rey and Luke in the temple in that scene mirrors AOTC with Padme and Anakin in the garage with Luke/Anakin blaming the Jedi Order/Yoda/Obi-Wan. In both cases Luke and Anakin are wrong and really blaming themselves. Rey says it isn't his fault and Padme say to be angry is to be human.

Rey/Padme and Kylo Ren/Anakin in front of the fire doing soul searching as they contemplate connecting into a deeper relationship.

Various Rey and Kylo Ren mirror aspects of Padme and Anakin’s relationship which of course includes meeting on Mustafar with fire all around them.

Of course the offer from each to the other. Rey/Padme wants Ben/Anakin to turn back while Ren/Anakin offers her power to rule together now that he has killed Snoke/will kill Sidious. Of course they both find roots in TESB and TFA did it's own version of this scene but in the stronger parallel is Padme and Anakin since Rey/Padme goes to Ren/Anakin.

Then another ROTS Mustafar reference as Luke/Obi-Wan faces down with Ren/Anakin (Vader) both scenes use Anakin's Lightsaber and Luke/Obi-Wan says "I have failed you.

The TESB/AOTC and now TLJ scenes with Luke and Rey walking into literal dreams in the caves while Anakin is in reality but a nightmare as he finds Shmi at the Tusken camp.

In all cases they are connected by parentage. Luke finds Vader (who is himself and unknown at the time his father), Anakin find his mother Shmi and Rey is looking for her parents and sees herself.

On a lighter note there are the Jar Jar-like antics of Finn early on like bumping his head, falling off the bed, Finn is "leaking" and Jar Jar was complaining about all the "leaking" in the bongo, both Jar Jar and Finn have their mouths not working due to electric shock.

Of course all the super obvious things like:

Jedi having temples

Luke wanting the Jedi Order to end and that only works in the context of knowing what the Jedi Order was which you can only find out in the prequels.

Luke's temple being destroyed and burned as the Jedi temple on Coruscant was.

Ben killing Luke's young students as Anakin killed the younglings.

Luke looks on in sadness with R2-D2 at his burning temple as Padme looked on in sadness at the burning temple with C-3PO. Love that further Luke and Padme connection.

And of course Luke with Lightsaber in hand contemplating killing Ben Solo to protect the Jedi and galaxy while Anakin did kill the younglings and the Jedi Order as part of his want to save Padme for himself and rule the galaxy.

19. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Luke saying "Darth Sidious" to Rey instead of "The Emperor" completely took me out of that scene.
    A) Luke would have said "The Emperor". That's how he knew him, even if later Force Ghost Yoda for some reason used the term "Sidious" but even that is questionable since he referred to him as "Vader's emperor" while he was alive, so?
    b) It's a poor choice of words for Luke to say to Rey because she would have no idea who Darth Sidious is or even what he is. But if Luke says "The Emperor" or "Emperor Palpatine," then surely thats a name and concept she's familiar with from 30 years back in galactic history.

Why use the term Darth Sidious there? Just prequel fan service?

20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    This is 30 years after ROTJ and over 50 since ROTS. In that time Luke has learned a lot of history from not only Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda but from Jedi knowledge in general. He knows about Padme, Mace, Qui-Gon et al so he's going to know Sidious' name.

He referenced the Jedi at their height of which there is no knowledge in the OT either.

This is like asking why Luke would know the term 'Sith' since it was never actually used in the OT nor was the name Palpatine.

Clearly she did know because she didn't say "Who's that?" On top of that consider that in TFA which to her was like two days ago she thought Luke Skywalker was a myth. Now she knows not only that he isn't but that he turned Vader back into Anakin. So presumably Leia gave her a basic rundown of Luke's history before she left because there is no other place she would find that out.

Again she didn't know Han from the rebellion but as a smuggler for the Kessel Run. So what exactly she knows and doesn't is open.

I'd say the answer is that after ROTJ the true story that Emperor Palpatine was actually the Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Sidious was put out by the Rebel Alliance as they brought back the Republic. That would be part of their propaganda as they reveal the secrets of the corrupt Empire.

I don't think so. More story service for the saga of Episodes I-IX.

TFA and now even moreso TLJ was packed with both PT and OT references which really are part of the overall story drive of Star Wars movies. Like the balance of the Force each of the trilogies works with the others making each one better together than apart.

21. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    Obviously after his death more of the truth of the Emperor was revealed to the public. It's fitting with real dictators. Much of what we know about Hitler in history books would not have been known to his enemies when he was alive.

This is not exactly a specific reference but Yoda was written with full knowledge of his failures to know Palpatine was Darth Sidious or to defeat him in combat. Rian Johnson wrote a fully formed version of Yoda based on everything we learned in Episode 1 through 6. When the OT was made Yoda's history was so vague, but now kowing Yoda failed its available to explore. I suspect Yoda was the one who suggested to Luke not to physically confront Kylo Ren. He should have tried that with Sidious.

22. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Luke obviously studied the jedi history and he was darth sidious before he become the emperor.

It was a cool moment to hear Luke utter that name

23. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    It seems Luke learned about the history in a way that mirrors the way we have (with the films and cartoons).

I also got an AOTC flashback watching Rey and Kylo fighting back-to-back.

Another AOTC flashback I couldn't explain fully, was one scene with Finn and Rose riding on the Fathier across the city on Canto Bight, I somehow recalled a moment from AOTC for some reason.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  24. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014

Think someone else may have pointed this out, but I hear BOTH at 6:15.

BOMBS AWAY!

25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I really liked that he referred to him by that name. Yes, he could have said the Emperor, but he used his Sith name.