main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Prequel rumors that were wrong

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Ditolus, Jun 2, 2014.

1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

It might as well be, at least in design. The Jedi Starfighter clearly paved the path to one Imperial spacecraft (the TIE Fighter), so why not another on a drastically different scale?

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Argagax

Argagax Jedi Padawan

May 19, 2014
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I had to stop after Anthony Daniels has not been confirmed as a member of the cast, yet. This supports the rumor that 3PO is an astomech/power droid in the prequels and R2 is the protocol/humanoid droid (Source: Blind Keeper)

Can't see it getting better than that.

4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I also remember Entertainment Weekly speculating in 1997 that a particular actress had been cast as "Lady Kenobi" and that Alec Guiness was spotted around the Leavesden studios. One of the earliest rumors was that Kenneth Branagh was going to play young Obi-Wan.
    There was also a false report that Episode 2 would have a team of Jedi each with a different talent.

5. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    i remember the kenneth branagh rumor. i was very excited about it. i still wonder if they should have gone with him.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i named myself after a supposed character that would appear in rots but never did. unless you count anakin.

7. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Kitster grew up to be Boba Fett. You see his ship is Slave I and he was a slave so it makes sense, right?
    E2 starts with Anakin in Tatooine buying Shmi from Watto.
    The Obi-Wan we knew from the OT was a clone.
    The Emperor we knew from the OT was a clone.
    Obi-Wan and Padme had a relationship.
    Not really Star Wars related, but in the aftermath of E1 they said Jake Lloyd would be playing Ender in Ender's Game

8. Ditolus

Jan 22, 2005
    obi wan was a clone? i never heard that one.

9. Darth Bradius

Darth Bradius Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 27, 2014
    Anyone else remember this one pre-Phantom Menace?:
    Harry Connick Jr would play one of a group of Jedi Knights that go around fighting injustice as a group. I think that was just floated because he'd done Independence Day a couple of years previous, but it was a big rumor back then.

The other funny thing is that we really had no idea the culture Lucas was going to build for the Jedi in the PT. If you rewind backwards in your own mind from the OT and use just Kenobi and Yoda and their living conditions as your standard, I think most people thought the Jedi of the Old Republic would function like them, as sort of nomadic hermits that study the force on their own and then heed the call whenever the Republic was in trouble. I don't think Lucas ever intended that, but it's definitely what I thought the Jedi would be like in the PT. I like what Lucas ultimately came up with and it actually fits more with the clues that are laid through out the OT and with the samurai culture Jedi are modeled after, as warriors that, aside from ronins, are employed by lords and chill in their kingdoms protecting them.

Around that same time they were also talking a lot about a creature that later we would come to know as Jar Jar, but because Lucas kept saying that it was impossible to create the creature-character as a puppet or whatever and that he'd have to use CGI in this really ground breaking and advanced way that I imagined this giant, caterpillar-like, multi-armed Jedi Knight that had like 6 lightsabers and would find it hard to get in and out of starships so he'd be sort of comic relief. Damn, I would have loved that over Jar Jar, and I'm not a Binks hater by any means.

There was also that other rumor that NSYNC would show up as Jedi in the Geonosis arena battle.

10. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    IIRC, this speculation was based on his name. Obi-Wan = OB1. Then there would be OB2, OB3, etc.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  11. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Aurra Sing having a more prominant role in AOTC and ROTS. I was so disapointed that never happened. :(

Also Darth Sidious being a clone of Palpatine (or was it the other way around with Palpatine being the clone?)

12. Ditolus

Jan 22, 2005
    terrible

13. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    [face_laugh] I hope he wasn't going to audition Jedi candidates as well......

I think Lucas actually did intend something like that back in the early 80's or so. If you read Rinzler's Making of ROTJ, where Lucas/Kasdan/Marquand/Kazanjian discuss the story in July 1981, there is NO Jed Temple, NO Jedi Council, and there are divisions: knights (like Kenobi and A. Skywalker), teachers/masters (like Yoda), and "healers". This is definitely different from the PT. Oh, and as far as the 'samurai' thing: the samurai taught their skills to their sons. An early Jedi concept - when Lucas was writing the first Star Wars in the mid-70's - had Jedi knights teaching their own son(s); presumably, Lucas hadn't come up with the concept of Jedi Masters yet (?).

Interesting...[face_thinking] maybe this idea DID sort of get used - an inspiration for Gen. Grievous, perhaps?

Yikes.

14. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Qui Gon was the leader of a group of settlers in Tatooine. Anakin was his son/grandson.
    There was supposed to be an underwater climatic battle in Ep I.
    The clones would be Mandalorians.
    Palpy would resurrect Darth Maul to show the Jedi the power of cloning.
    Ep.II would be about the falling of Anakin and Ep. III will show Darth Vader in full, hunting the Jedi.

15. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Palpatine was Anakins Father....

16. gracesonnet

gracesonnet Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2014
    Ohh, I remember that one. All the clone-based rumors were spectacular in their "what the heck"-ness, especially where Palpatine/Sidious was concerned. Wasn't there a rumor that an Obi-Wan clone was responsible for killing Shmi but Anakin didn't know that? Or did I make that up just now? Or read it here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Ah I remember seeing a few comments suggesting there could be a sea battle in Episode II or III.

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Some believed that it was too obvious that Palpatine + cloak = Sidious, leading them to expect episode III to reveal Palpatine to be a non-Force-using clone of Sidious.

19. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    continuation of post #38, second part of response to Darth Bradius:

in the OT related notes, Yoda wasn't in 'exile' on Dagobah. It was where he'd lived for a very long time.....and where he'd trained (certain) Jedi knights

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    More like "The Phantom Menace Ended My Career's Game"

It reminds me of when people were denying that Darth Krayt was A'Sharad Hett... BECAUSE THE CHIN TATTOOS WERE WRONG [face_rofl]

thejeditraitor likes this.
  21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    lloyd just wasn't that good an actor period. tpm had nothing to do with it. gl liked him for the great natural moments that he had. when you watch tpm you can see some of those natural moments and they work very well indeed. the rest of the time he's just kind of there. he was just a kid after all. it's not his fault.

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  22. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Anyone remember this one? Supposedly, the "bomb" device that Watto placed in Anakin (mentioned in TPM) would come into play in ROTS, when Obi-Wan finds a way to detonate it, exploding Anakin from the inside, and that's why Anakin would have to be put into the classic Vader suit. Could have been interesting, I guess, though having a bomb explode INSIDE you might be a bit too damaging.

I also remember reading in the New York Daily News that Bijou Phillips would be playing a role in TPM (the article speculating that she might be a "cantina patron.")

23. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    They would be good. Huehuehuehuehue

(I kid)