main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Prequel Trilogy references in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by darth_mccartney, Nov 11, 2016.

1. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I was indeed pleasantly surprised at the references in R1--I certainly wasn't expecting Mustafar to appear. I do think they could've used more reference to Saw's Clone wars experience.

whostheBossk and mes520 like this.
  2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I certainly don't 'hate' the prequels, a label critics of them are often bestowed with. To the contrary actually, there are parts of them I enjoy. So I picked up on every reference to them in Rogue One. With the first appearance of Bail (replete with the Force theme :)) to Vaders castle on Mustafar and the cityscape of Coruscant in the flashback. They were great

3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

I'm like half way through the Catalyst audiobook. I don't think they said exactly but Jyn is born around the first or maybe second year of the Clone Wars, judging by her age in the flashback I imagine the flashback takes place after the declaration of the Empire. So the uniforms are correct.

JEDIMASTERSHONDELLS likes this.
  4. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

At first, when I saw Vader's castle and Mustafar, I didn't know it was either of them until I discovered it was truly Vader's mutilated body inside the Bacta tank. Ever since I saw the first teaser trailer a few months ago I was expecting to be the Emperor since there was the red imperial guard around the Bacta tank, and they are supposed to be loyal to the Emperor, not Vader. I must say I was surprised when I finally noticed it was truly Vader inside of it and that it was his castle. I didn't think it was Mustafar first since the landscape was quite different from the one in ROTS, perhaps because the Separatists' fortress was inside an active volcano while Vader's castle was on a more calm place, away from Mustafar's active volcanoes...

5. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Mustafar might be 'seasonal', this could be when the volcanoes calm a bit. ;)

SW Saga Fan likes this.
  6. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    We didn't see any military officers till the end of ROTS, and they wore the same as the OT or similar.

Given that the Republic forces *are* the Imperial forces there's no reason to suggest that they would be significantly different anyway.

Plus they're "Space Imperial Japanese" if I recall the origin of the design correctly ;)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  7. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    My favorite PT references were Bail's cameo and Mustafar.

Also loved all the PT references, characters and locations while reading Catalyst (Poggle the Lesser, Geonosis, Coruscant, mentions of Dooku, Vader and the Clone Wars).

8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'm guessing when they are on Coruscant in the book was the flashback in the movie??

9. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    Yes. (brief spoilers following). It is during the time when Galen is still working for Krennic (still not knowing what his research is actually used for), while Lyra has started to get suspicious (hence they way she looks in the flashback). The Erso family have a home on Coruscant, provided by Krennic (so he can monitor them there).

thejeditraitor and B99 like this.
  10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Thanks. I was simply stating that even though obviously different the acting and direction in the PT is also exemplary overall as is Rogue One, the OT and TFA as well (even though I think the choices in that one were not as in line with the progression of I-VI as maybe they should have been). Different film-makers though so JJ brought some modernisms that I generally don't care for anyway like the "comedy" that Finn and Poe have in some scenes but that is after-all minor.

Well I can't relate to that. I think the level of quality has always been excellent overall.

That is why I went into the sub-category as it were of performance style. That is not the same thing as the acting of said styles.

So for example Diego Luna and HC's performances are both excellent but obviously they are playing different parts which demands different things in the performance style needed but in terms of pure facial acting and reading emotion in the face both are pretty amazing. They of course are also playing emotional characters who more easily display emotion as opposed to what is called for say a character like Obi-Wan who as a baseline isn't going to be that emotional.

I have to do a proper review but the basics are:

Excellent sequel to ROTS and prequel to ANH.

Obviously it fits in far better to the over-all PT universe that TFA and R1 grow out of. This was somewhat pre-figured in the OT starting with TESB but moreso with ROTJ. ANH is that way is always going to be more disconnected since it's story is extremely simply good vs evil. The movies around it give the background context that places it with the other movies.

R1 is the progressive movie that I wish TFA was. The regressive intent of TFA as a nostalgic tribute movie to what Star Wars was as opposed to what made Lucas create it in the first place.

Lucas was about making each movie different. R1 was different. TFA was about making something that was the same. Obviously there was nostalgia in R1 but the basis was to use it in a new direction as opposed to a replication of paths already taken.

11. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Just saw it.
    I loved all the references. Mustafar, Coruscant, Bail, and Mothma...
    It was all beautifully done, and fit into the overall saga surprisingly well.

One thing I noticed was when Galan Died it was staged very similarly to Quigons death, with a touch of Shmi as well, as a parent seeing their child for the first time in a decade.

DaffyTheWizard, Gigoran Monk and B99 like this.
  12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Didn't Galen also touch Jyn's face just like Qui Jon.? Did u notice the jaugganuat tank also?

13. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Yes he did, and yes I did.

vncredleader and B99 like this.
  14. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I've seen it three times and I still haven't been able to work-out the answer to your question. The scene is so very brief. I think we'll need to wait until we can pause the DVD/Blu-ray release at that exact moment to see whether they've modelled the face on Hayden's burned face from RoTS. I would hope that they have, though.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  15. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    It was so difficult to focus on the face during my second viewing..may try tomorrow. I would say yes it is modelled after Haydens face since we saw the manakin in the background pic posted before the release.

16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Someone ask Pablo, would he have answer?

17. theonea7

theonea7 Jedi Knight

Dec 25, 2014
    I don't know if this was mentioned yet,
    but when Vader Force chokes Krennic on Mustafar, it sounds like the "force choke sound" from Clone Wars.

ThisHurricane, B99 and Larsonator like this.
  18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yep!! So That sound was never heard in PT right? Just hard for me to believe that sound was only in the CW,..[face_dunno]

19. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Technically speaking Coruscant first appeared in the SE Version of ROJ, i.e. before the prequels, so I don't think it really qualifies as a prequel reference unless there are structures in the background of the flashback scene that were first featured in the PT:

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I like the fact that the Force now makes "sounds". The same when Kylo was interrogating Poe in TFA, and when Rey was reading his mind.

whostheBossk and B99 like this.
  21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Thats true!! But did George put it in knowing It would be a main planet in the PT? He had writing TPM by then right?

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yes. it was put there one purpose.

B99 likes this.
  23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I jut noticed that the Hover tank or what ever it's called now makes what sounds to me like the same sound the Droid Army tanks from PT and CW made..? EDIT: Might be sound only heard from the CW!

24. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    That sound was exclusively (and extensively) used in TCW. I bet it was a subtle nod by the sound designer, pretty cool.

The force makes "sounds" the first time we ever see it being used in ANH.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    What part? You've genuinly got me here.