main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Prequel Trilogy references in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by darth_mccartney, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    And when he does the 'Force theme' plays? Yeah, that really is an enjoyable moment. Literally had the hairs on my arms standing when I first saw it

MarcJordan and vncredleader like this.
  2. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    You bet. My first viewing I literally teared. Beautiful.

MJ

3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    The prologue planet, Lah'mu, was also not named.

MarcJordan likes this.
  4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Odd that.

Maybe like Coruscant it was also a flashback sequence at one point and not named because it wasn't in real time?

5. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I think it's due to narrative needs. Planet names are identified to orient viewers as our heroes jump from place to place (places whose identity is important for the story - labor camp, trading post, Saw's hideout, etc). At the beginning of the film, there's no need for that orientation.

Taylore, 11-4D and vncredleader like this.
  6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't see why not as unlike Mustafar it's a place not gone to already.

More about their indecision about what to label the movie, whether to use a crawl, delete Vader scenes, add others etc.

7. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    No. At the beginning, there's no need to know what the name of the planet is, as it's simply the scene-setting opening prologue. Later, as the heroes hop to planets (like Eadu) and the villains talk about chasing them there (and different factions of the Rebellion talk about these locations), it's important to know where exactly we're going in order to avoid audience confusion. The exception is Mustafar, and that's because the director wanted there to be audience confusion/ surprise.

Ricardo Funes and Artoo-Dion like this.
  8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, Bail's friend in hiding was Jar Jar. He'll have a more prominent role in Rogue 2: Bombadic Boogaloo.

10. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Qui-Riv-Brid

Yes, but a general audience has difficulty keeping up with all the planet-hopping. The reason it's clear to me that the planet names are based on narrative clarity is that they have subtitles indicating the precise type of setting: trading post, imperial research station, imperial military complex, etc.

There was little reason to do this for Lah'mu because it was the only planet we'd visited at that point, we had time to settle into it, and Edwards wanted to slowly reveal, through character actions and dialogue, that this was a hideout for people on the run, so as to create a building sense of tension for the audience. At first, we see a ship and a planet. What could that ship be? And what's the planet? Then a droid spots the ship. Then we see some people springing into action. Who are they, and why are they afraid? We learn that they are in danger, and that this ship contains someone that wishes them harm. Then Krennic disembarks. Lyra and Jyn rush off. Galen meets Krennic. Only then do we learn that Galen used to work for this guy, but he took off because he didn't believe in this weapon of "terror." And now Krennic has found him. The same tension is built on Mustafar. What planet is this? Why is Krennic going there? Is that...no. Yes, it's Vader. Why is Krennic meeting him? Etc.

In short, Edwards, at both Lah'mu and Mustafar, slowly peels back layers of mystery to keep the audience engaged. And if you put a label marker at the start of those scenes, you risk killing that initial atmosphere of mystery.

With all the planets that are named, Edwards is doing the opposite. Deliberately reducing mystery so as to not confuse the audience, and make sure they are following the plot.

In this way, the labeling/ not-labeling of planets in RO has a very clear storytelling rationale.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  11. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    This isn't exactly a reference but the cockpits are similar. And an excuse for me to post these pics. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe not that close. Ah well. :p

MJ

SunnyNelson and B99 like this.
  12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Cool! Have thy released a shot of the Tantine IV bridge yet?

13. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    You were right about one thing, MarcJordan. They are cockpits. [face_laugh]

14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  15. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    well the Tantive IV cockpit in Rogue One looks almost the same to the one in the Tantive in Revenge of the Sith but I don't have a pic of the rogue one cockpit...

16. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    Seeing Jimmy Smits as Bail Organa was nice.

I love ROTS so seeing Mustafar was a great touch. When we see him in the bacta tank my mind flashed to the Anakin and Obi-Wan battle.

Also when we first see Vader in the bacta tank this little boy in the theatre screamed out "Its Anakin" that was cute and made me think more about the prequels.

17. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    This is rather an obscure reference .. BUT the choral music of that greatest hits of Vader scene was wonderfully tied in with the wonderful music from ROTS (Anakin's dark deeds and beyond).

Skylo_92 likes this.
  18. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    Vader igniting his lightsaber to attack the rebels parallels the killing of the younglings in EpIII, and use the same lightsaber sound according to Matt Wood.

Padme501st likes this.
  19. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Here you go:

[​IMG]

Significant differences, though they share a tonal similarity.

MarcJordan and OldTimeFan like this.
  20. Snafu55

Oct 19, 2015
    yes blockade runners in the movies, clones wars, rebels each have different cockpits, they're never the same

21. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    I sure the vast majority of Star Wars fans know this but for those that don't here goes.

That is not the Tantive IV in Revenge of the Sith it is said by George Lucas himself of the DVD yak track I think.

The Tantive iv has red paint around the edges the ship in ROTS has blue paint around the edges.

Also it was a nice touch to have the troops in Rouge One speaking in all different voices ramming home the point the Empire was no longer using Clones.

22. Snafu55

Oct 19, 2015
    No I don't believe they were ever the same ship as you said before I think Bail Organa's Blockade Runner was the Tantive or some other name can't remember since his ship is mainly for senatorial functions as it lacks many weapons and such. But in the canon most Blockade Runners never have the same cockpits

23. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    The decision to make that ship NOT the Tantive IV, but instead, The Sundered Heart, came after ROTS was released, I believe. In any event, yeah. Canon-wise, they are different ships.

vncredleader, OldTimeFan and Snafu55 like this.
  24. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Another difference is that the Sundered Heart (the one in ROTS) has a hangar. The Sundered Heart is actually a CR70 that was modded to be a CR90. In ROTS it is 20 meters smaller than the Tantive and has less armament. I think the idea was for a time, that this was the Tantive just pre modding but that got scrapped. Hence the CR70 explanation. They do look different when you look at them side by side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OldTimeFan likes this.
  25. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Basically, the Tantive IV looks less like a penis

vncredleader likes this.