main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Prequel Trilogy Theatrical Editions

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by PymParticles , Apr 26, 2015.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Out of simple curiosity, because I don't see this get discussed nearly as much as the original trilogy special editions, how would you feel about theatrical cut releases of the prequels? Especially The Phantom Menace, as it received multiple significant alterations, but there were some editing and audio differences in Attack of the Clones as well, in addition to changing Anakin's mechanical hand. Revenge of the Sith is unchanged on the Blu-ray release. Would anyone be interested in them? Enough to buy them? And which do you feel is the superior form of the film(s), theatrical release or revised?

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Technically, it is changed, but it's virtually insignificant.

3. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    The wipe transition in the DVD release was restored for the Blu-ray, I believe. So in that respect, they reverted back to the original version for the Blu-ray. But you're right, it's a tiny, tiny alteration.

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The roofing on the Kashyyyk Wookiee huts was entirely redone and the clones on Utapau had some added voices. Otherwise, no changes whatsoever

5. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Ah okay, I didn't know about those.

My question, really, pertains more so to The Phantom Menace, as it received significant changes even prior to the digital Yoda insertion.

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Funny enough is that I brought this topic up in the thread about the OOT on BR

To complain about the OOT as a historical archive being lost and likewise not give a crap about the OPT (that sounds weird lol) is blatant hypocrisy

(Damn, we on JCF use so many acronyms)

7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I like all of the Prequel dvd changes, except that weird order change at the end of AOTC. I much preffered the original ordering. This new version is just pointless and messes up the soundtrack as well.

All other changes I'm fine with. Air Taxi, Clone voices, CG Yoda, they're all good.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Ha because that puppet was horrible.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  9. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I would love to see an "Alien Anthology"-esque Blu-Ray boxset that has an HD cut of the theatrical editions of all six films, along with the '97, '04, and '11 revised cuts. I'd even throw in the 2 hour IMAX cut of AotC.

10. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Are you serious? I don't want to see crossed eyed Yoda from TPM ever again:mad: Who the hell even approved that puppet?
    All the changes were necessary and God bless Lucas for doing them!^:)^

thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    what are you talking about??:oops:

12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    They changed the ordering of the end of the Dooku fight on the Blu-ray. We see Yoda pick up his cane before we see Padme arrive and Dooku escape in that version. It messes up the pacing of the scene and there's a jarring cut in the music.

13. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    Damn! I have to watch DVD again to see it. I got so used to my Blu Ray version, that I haven't noticed it...

14. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    My perspective is this: none of the changes made to the PT change the tone or identity of a scene in the same way as the changes made to the OT. None of the changes made to the PT are reflective of vast advances in filmmaking technology beyond what would have been possible at the time of theatrical release. I would even argue that outside of CGI Yoda, none of the changes would be immediately identifiable without searching for them.

I grew up with the Special Editions of the OT. ANH 1997 was the first movie I ever saw in a theater, so I have no animosity whatsoever to those versions of the films. But I absolutely sympathize with the large population of fans who would like to see high quality versions of the OOT released (the fact that many of these are the same fans who heavily criticize the PT is, for the purposes of this discussion, mostly irrelevant). I want them released too, mosty because I've never actually seen the original versions in full, and as a fan of cinema I'd like to be able to fully appreciate what made people fall in love with this "Star Wars" thing back in 1977. But with the OPT, I don't think the same argument can be made for their necessity.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed

16. Tolvo

Tolvo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    There's a difference between adding CGI to a movie made when no such thing existed and adding some more to one that's built on it. Obviously changes are going to stay mostly unnoticed.

17. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Well, I do have a soft spot for the theatrical versions as they were the original versions that audiences were exposed to on their release. But beyond that, it's more nostalgia than anything. I care about the historical value of what was shown originally, but can't call it an objectively better or worse film after minor alterations were made.

Revenge of the Sith is still identical; I believe an optical wipe was used in the theatrical version, but was absent from the DVD, and then put back for the Blu Ray. For Attack of the Clones, the initial release was identical, except the mechanical hand was switched out, and an error caused two speeders in the far background to disappear (who finds this stuff?). The Phantom Menace is more of an "Extended Cut" to me, because I remember how big the additional footage was as a part of the ad campaign for the DVD release.

While not the way the filmmakers would have intended it to be seen, I'm still curious to see the IMAX cut of Attack of the Clones, mainly to see how it would've help up with so much content cut out.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  18. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

It was obviously an error in the mastering of the Blu-Ray.

19. DavBacca

DavBacca Jedi Master star 2

Jun 13, 2002
    Yoda looks irritated during the celebration at the end of TPM blu edition. He looked serene in the dvd version, I wish they made him match more. Also, the five times I saw ROTS in the theater I noticed that when Sidious swings at Yoda while cackling right before cutting back to Mustafar that you didn't hear his saber hit Yoda's. It sounded like it hit Yoda. Either that or I didn't hear the sound until I saw it on dvd.

20. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    It was a conscious decision.

21. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Is there a list of all the changes (possibly with screenshots)? I honestly have no idea what you're talking about here as I don't remember the theatrical versions. The only changes I know about is CGI Yoda in Episode 1 and that scene order change at the end of AotC.

22. Tolvo

Tolvo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2014
  23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    We don't know that. The fact is that the sound mix was not redone and you can clearly point out the music cut due to the re-ordered sequence. I agree, and hope, that it's a mastering mistake.

Here's a comparison for those that don't know what the issue is.