main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

prequel vs. origionals

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ppal, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ppal

ppal Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 1999
    I've just read the novels of both the prequel and origional trilogies and to me in the prequel trilogy alot of the story and plotlines revolve around the center of government which is coruscant and deal with the senate and the jedi council. Whereas in the origional trilogy it seems almost as if coruscant is no longer the seat of galactic power. The seat of galactic power has become either the death star or the imperial fleet (ESB) with Darth Vader and his minions. The emperor of course is on coruscant or naboo or korriban but is not really seen or heard for that matter, its vader and the military that are the empires true enforcers and as for the good guys in the prequel trilogy the good guys are in charge and trying to fight agains evil not realizing theres been a phantom menace lurking around for centuries that eventually brings the republic down. But by the OT that phantom menace is now in charge and its the good guys who are forced to go into hiding in exotic planets running for their lives. To me ROTS was just the tip of the iceburg to me the really dark times would be between ROTS and ANH and even in ANH things are darker than ever until the new hope comes along but even then Vader and the empire come back with a vengeance. But this is what I dont understand is that from my observations it seems both the empire and rebellion are being led by military factions with the only political figure being Princess Leia the adopted daughter of bail organa and daughter of Padme Amidala but by ESB becomes more of a military figure rather than a political figure. But where are mon mothma and all of the political leaders of the rebel alliance it just seems like the rebel alliance is just a group of ragtag refugees. From my point of view the dark times must have really been dark to force the good guys from their esteemed positions of power in the prequels to living like dirty stinking rats and running for their lives in the OT.

And as for Darth Vader ROTS was just the tip of the ice berg for him too he is much more sinister in the OT, torturing princess leia and disregarding principles and laws (imperial senate) just to advance his own stature. Palpatine must have really done a job on him. But in my opinion Leia is the true heroin of the galaxy and this is what she does. In Cloud City Vader gave Luke a choice either join me and inherit Vader's power or jump to your death. Luke chooses death much to vaders shock. Vader at that point doesnt know about Lando's treachery and figures he's done his job turn him or destroy him. But little does he know that he has a daughter who has escaped and it is Luke connection to Leia that saves his life otherwise no more Luke. Obi-wan and Yoda were brilliant here and the Sith didn't know what hit them. R2 is the second greates hero in he is responsible for saving Luke the second time because if Vader catches them he will convert him so R2 is responsible for bringing down the sith. Maybe the chosen one should have created r2 rather than 3po who didnt do ***t accept wine and complain. I would hate to think of what Vader and the empire did to cloud city after lando's treachery though. But one thing I dont understand is why didnt Vader kill Admiral Piett after the falcom escaped the second time?????? Any answers or comments.

2. Magnotta

Magnotta Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    "But one thing I dont understand is why didnt Vader kill Admiral Piett after the falcom escaped the second time??????"

He probabably felt too disapointed to care at the moment. You know "ahhh screw it" and just walk off. Besides, throughout the movie he seems to have a soft spot for Piett.

3. ppal

ppal Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 1999
    Well the thing about Piett is he was the one who located the hoth base and thats what earned him the promotion. However, he dissapointed Vader when his subordinate captain needa got outfoxed by captain solo. Vader killed needa but warned piett who himself hot outfoxed by R2D2. Now Vader was definitely pissed after the falcon escaped but did not even look at piett he just strolled off to his meditation chamber I guess to brute on the matter. The interesting thing about Vader is he is so quick to just kill of his subordinates when they screw up. His master Darth Sideous seemes much more patient and so did Count Dooku. Darth Maul though seemes like he'd ba a hot head and so would general greavous. I would compare Vader more to Darth Maul and General Greavous rather than sideous or tyrannus. What do you guys thing?

4. Magnotta

Magnotta Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    I think that a lot of his "just quickly kill everyone" attitude comes from the fact that he's by that time just a generally pissed off person. He's like the grumpy old man, as life has come and his moment of glory has passed. He betrayed the jedi and gave his life to serve the dark side, all to save his love, who ends up dying anyways, and then he gets horribly burnt and is pretty much dependent n a suit to keep him alive while he strolls around performing the emporers commands. Through all that, I think he just just completely devoid of caring by that time, just waiting to die. And then Luke finally comes along and he suddenly feels like he was a chance again, and BHAM, Luke says no. In fact, Luke says more than just no, he goes all the way to "I'd rather die than be with you" pretty much, and then the Falcon manages to escape. It's probably got to be Vaders lowest moment, as after 20 years with no hope he finally got some, and just as fast as it came in it exited. That's why I feel he seems to act more sad and depressed, and just overlly all completely hopeless in RotJ.

5. nknx2005

nknx2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    actually, you do know that Needa let the Falcon go on purpose. He had a cousin in the Alliance and was a Rebel sympathizer. He let them go and tried to make it look like a mistake. Wrong descision if he planned on living longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.