main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Prequels or originals?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Rolf Larsen, Mar 8, 2014.

?

Which do you prefer: Prequels or Originals

1. The prequels

17 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. The Originals

29 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. Both

28 vote(s)
    37.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not familiar with that one, but I do find some flawed characters interesting, depending on what the flaw is.

I do not enjoy watching characters who put emotions before rational thought, nor do I enjoy watching gullibility. And I cannot stand watching a meek character.

I can enjoy a short-tempered character, an arrogant character (both flaws that Anakin had in AOTC, and for the most part I enjoyed him in that movie), a character with a bit of a mean streak, just to name a few.

It's a bit disingenuous to assume that a person who does not enjoy every single flawed trait, must only like perfect characters. In fact, my least favorite characters in the Star Wars universe, Mara Jade, Ahsoka Tano and Thrawn, are my least favorite because they are put forth as flawless.

This has nothing to do with tolerance or lack thereof of real life people with such traits. I personally don't expect constant entertainment from real life people, as I am not paying money to see them on a screen.

Garrett Atkins likes this.
  2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

It doesn't bother me. I don't care what Anakin did to achieve redemption. He did it. That is all that matters to me.

It sounds as if you don't like flawed characters period.

After all these years, some fans have decided to bitch and moan about Anakin's mistakes and crimes. If so, what is the point in watching this saga in the first place? Why focus solely on Anakin's mistakes? Why not consider a broad observation on the mistakes and crimes of the saga's other major characters, while we're at it? Including Palpatine? Or is his villainy "cool"?

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So the only possible flaws that human beings can have are irrationality, stupidity and meekness?

Characters that are rational, intelligent and mentally strong are all perfect?

Daaaaammmnnn. Can we apply this standard to real-life people, please?

I have listed several flaws that a character can have that do not keep me from enjoying a character, in fact I find the flaws I listed interesting. But you persist with an absolutist view.

Apparently there are only two types of people in the world: people who love Anakin in ROTS, and people who only like perfect characters.

Even the TV Tropes site has a broader range of stereotypes than that.

Yanksfan and Garrett Atkins like this.
  4. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Being stupid is a flaw. All humans have flaws. Not everyone is stupid. That's all I can really say Samnz

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

But let's be honest. Not everyone is stupid, but everyone's done stupid things.

6. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    What Anakin did was far more than the stupid things most people have done.

7. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Again, though, how many people are ever even presented with the option Anakin is?

For most people, the biggest decision they'll ever have to face will not change the fate of the galaxy. Just sayin'

8. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    That doesn't excuse Anakin from being stupid in that situation nor does it excuse him from committing mass murder for selfish reasons.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Everyone has had diarrhea at some point too, but I don't want to watch that for two hours.

Yanksfan and Garrett Atkins like this.
  10. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

Err…where did I say it did? I just said that everyone's done stupid things. Which is true. I've seen people grow up with the best advantages possible -- great schools, loving parents, wealthy, good-looking, athletic, intelligent -- and flush it all down the toilet. They didn't overthrow a galactic republic, but then, they never had that possibility open to them. I did see them destroy their lives getting involved in hard drugs, however. Saying what they did is stupid doesn't excuse them any more than it does Anakin.

11. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    So I'm supposed to enjoy my protagonist act like an idiot with no common sense? Okay, got it.

12. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

You perceive him that way. If you want to interpret him as such go ahead -- I'm not saying you're "supposed" to do anything. I do understand why Anakin made the choices he did, especially given what we saw of his background. Doesn't mean I think it's right or moral. But it is an interesting and compelling story in my opinion.

13. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    That's cool, but it's not compelling and interesting IMO.

14. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

I'm not saying you have to find it compelling and interesting, but even if you perceive Anakin's actions as stupid, there's no denying that everyone (no matter how intelligent they are) has done stupid things -- especially in emotionally charged situations.

You may find Anakin's actions disproportionately stupid for the amount of stress he was under, but that's just a matter of interpretation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.