Before "Preservation" OCs, Yoda, Qui-Gon--Updated 7/7 Thanks for the Nominations!! [hugs]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Perigrine, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Author: Jedi_Perigrine
    Primary Characters: OCs,
    Secondary Characters: Yoda, Qui-Gon,
    Genre: Pre-TPM, Drama with some action forthcoming.
    Rating: PG is my intention.

Notes: This is my first fanfic post. There are at least 10 more posts' worth finished, and almost that many again near completion. A few weeks ago when I found the fanfic.theforce.net, I remembered a story I had written a while back. I dusted it off and started adding more to it, with the intention of making it good enough to post there. I would appreciate some help! I would love constructive criticism, potential beta readers, and any other advice that might make this archive-worthy! Please PM me with concrit and recommendations, or feel free to post replies. Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I liked writing it.

___________________________________________________________________________________

?Something important have you to say, Master Evlon?? The serenity that exuded from the little green Jedi Master was as potent as the security of his own quarters. Yoda somehow made an almost empty room seem as well protected as a ferrocrete bunker hidden deep in a planet?s crust.

Wilch shook his head. ?You honor me too far, Master Yoda. I have not accepted the title of Master.? Wilch Evlon was a tall human, just under two meters. His jet-black hair was cut conservatively short, failing to conform to the trendy styles of the day. It was relatively free of gray or white streaks, which belied his middle age. An ovular face with no facial hair and average features meant Wilch could fit in almost anywhere without being noticed, though the biggest exception were his piercing green eyes, made even more intriguing by his aggressively arched eyebrows.

?Offered for you, the position has. Many times. Important to the Council your wisdom and clairvoyance is. Perhaps more important than you are willing to admit??

The younger Jedi squirmed ever so slightly on his flat circular padded chair. ?Master Yoda I do not agree with the Council on many issues. I would only create strife within a body that is otherwise in harmony.?

The small green Jedi shook his head slightly as he considered the middle aged human male. ?With Master Qui-Gon then do you agree, hmm??

Wilch smiled, scrunching crow?s feet into the corners of his eyes. ?Not with everything. His focus with the Force is...unflappable. I don?t believe even you follow its direction so blindly.?

Yoda said nothing, but aimed a curious glance at Evlon.

?And now I suppose you want to know why I?m here.? Wilch Evlon leaned
    forward, shrugging voluminous sleeves clear so he could put his elbows on his knees, not really noticing the way the reddish brown robes scrunched up around his wrists and over his hands. ?Something is coming, Master, something that truly puts the Jedi at terrible risk beyond anything we?ve faced in a thousand years.?

?A vision have you seen?? Yoda?s curious skepticism was apparent in his voice.

?Yes Master. I saw the future, and one not so far off. As the vision comes to me, it involves Qui-Gon and a new apprentice. He finds someone very dangerous. I don?t get a clear vision of whom, but the meaning is clear enough. Qui-Gon will bring back a youth past the age of training. I feel it is vital that the boy not be taught the ways of the Jedi.?

?Very strongly you feel this,? Yoda confirmed. ?Why??

Wilch couldn?t get the vision out of his mind if he tried. A full month had passed since the dream had come to him, yet the tiny fragment he saw wouldn?t leave his memory. It was of a human male, blue lightsaber drawn and arcing towards one of the younglings--the very young students who were brought to the Jedi Temple to learn the ways of the Force. The man was fraught with conflicting emotions, with regret, hate and anger radiating off of him as powerfully as the corona of a sun. Behind that baleful stare was a monster who would destroy the Order completely.

?He is a danger to all the Jedi, Master.?

?Why can I not se
  2. jedidas3 Jedi Master

star 3
    Very intriguing first post! [face_thinking] Hmm...

At least Yoda is taking heed. Guess that's why he's the grand Master! ;)

You have a nice writing style that leaves the reader looking forward to more. I'm anxiously awaiting your next post.
  3. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Very nice beginning.

It's wonderful to see Yoda listen and consider Evlon's words.

If you have a PM list for this, please add me.

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  4. Qui-Gina-Jinn Force Ghost

star 4
    What a great start! =D=

So Master Evlon is seeing what Anakin will do? [face_thinking]
    You'd better listen to him, Yoda!

Wonder what Qui-Gon would say to that, were he ever to find out... [face_thinking]
  5. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    This was a good start. I can't wait to see where you go with this. :)
  6. Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Thanks everybody for the nice compliments, I appreciate them greatly! Especially as a newly posting writer, you never know how people are going to take your style. :)

Kelia--Is there a way to send an entire group of PMs to let all who want to know about a new post? Or do I have to send each PM to each person individually?

I have a bit of a dark streak in me, for you all have to wait until tomorrow morning for the next segment! Muahaha!
  7. Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Part Two:

?Wilch! How did it go with Master Yoda?? Plort hailed from across the busy entryway to the Jedi Temple. Plort was an Ithorian Jedi. He was tall, even by Wilch?s nearly two-meter stature, and his long limbed features accented his height. Hands twice the size of the human?s own dangled a short distance above his knees. The Ithorian wore robes that were large and nearly dragging on the ground in an attempt to hide his gangly legs as well as cover the lack of footwear on his elephant-like feet. Today he was wearing a brown robe that neatly accentuated the few maroon markings that randomly decorated his bluish gray skin.

Plort Fol was one of only a couple Jedi whom Wilch Evlon considered a real friend. In Wilch?s mind, he was the only Jedi who considered Wilch an equal in all aspects, even though the Ithorian must have known he could crush the human without much difficulty.

?Yoda heard my words and doubted the council would allow an older student into the ranks. But he promised to take my words into account if they ever thought about changing their minds.?

?That?s good right? That?s what you wanted.? Mouths at the base of either side of the thick trunk leading to the T-shaped head spoke simultaneously, giving all of his perfectly spoken Basic a bass-like echo.

?Only in part. I doubt he would allow an older student to begin the training, and perhaps I convinced him to rally harder against the Council, but I fear my words were not enough for him to seriously consider the dangers and to argue at his strongest against the threat.?

Plort was the only Jedi with whom Wilch felt sure enough of himself to share the actual images of his visions. From his knowledge, it was unusual for mind-images to be shared with other Jedi, and it took a special amount of trust to open his mental defenses enough to let someone else into his memories to share them.

?Then are you still thinking about-?

?Yes.?

Plort nodded, not minding being interrupted. It could be hard having a friend who knew what you were going to say before you said it. ?I?m off to do some more lightsaber training.? Fol shook his head. ?But you knew that already, didn?t you. Want to grab a meal together later??

Wilch nodded. ?Come by my apartment when you?re ready. That is, unless you?re going to train until they throw you out again.?

The Ithorian laughed, a booming, infectious chuckle that always brought a smile to his friend?s lips. ?Don?t worry, I don?t think I can take more than six or seven hours of sparring today. ? He gave a saluting wave. ?Until later.?

____________________________________________________________________________________

When Wilch entered his modest apartment, the first thing he sensed, as he always did, was the health of his plants. The green and blue and orange plant matter that he had gathered within his room all mixed together forming a pleasant fragrance. His furniture was extremely bare, practically planks of slightly cushioned plasteel, comfortable only for guests whose aft-sections had sat in them for long periods of time, and Jedi, who were known for being able to ignore most discomforts. Even his bed wasn?t much more than a hunk of plasteel coated with a light padding, a blanket, and a computer pad that he downloaded all his reading onto, which often doubled as a pillow.

The life that surrounded him now flourished and hummed with happiness, as all the simple beings? needs had been taken care of to the highest degree, except for one budding plant hidden behind some large tree-like trunks near the biggest windows in his apartment.

Wilch walked the rest of the way into the house, stepping into the mixture of dark, loamy soils that he had gathered from many of his stops around the galaxy. He insisted on only the finest nutrient rich surroundings for his plants. ?Zee-seven, how come you didn?t water the S?gtl plant? Can?t you see it needs moisture??

A dull white protocol droid, human-shaped in appearance came shuffling out from the workroom that Wilch h
  8. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    so... he doesn't live in the temple like other jedi?

It's interesting to see his views on the cannon characters. I wonder what it is he's going to do?
  9. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Very intriguing OC and I like that he doesn't live at the Temple. He seems to be a centered Jedi even if he feels he's not good with a saber. This is very good. Send me a PM when you update, please.

A couple of things. The story post is scrolling - which means that I have to move my cursor side to side to read the whole thing. My guess is that your _________ at the beginning of the story is too long. Please shorten it. Some readers won't read something that scrolls.

You should decide on a title and keep it. People will look for the title and if you change it half way through, it can get lost. When you submit to the Archives, you can change the title then.

Well done!
  10. Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Thank you both [face_blush]

Weird about the ___'s though, doesn't show up on my end. I'll fix that right away.

Yeah Wilch is a bit of an odd duck--he found good quarters in a nearby apartment building. :)
  11. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    WOW

Now he's having visions about Qui-Gon

I hope this will, perhaps, alter Qui's destiny on Naboo?

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  12. Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Thanks for the compliments! Keep them coming, my ego is quite fragile. :D (J/k)

Oh don't worry, Qui-Gon will make his appearance soon. Very soon. But not today.

Part 3

The hours passed, time that went both quickly and slowly at the same time. Wilch realized he had not heard the guest chime as Z7 complained on his way to open the door himself.

?Let him in, Zee,? he said before the droid could say his master was in disposed.

Plort greeted Z7-8B cheerfully as he lugged a large sack through the door,
    plunking it on the floor in front of him as he sat on the chair that Wilch had brought in special for Ithorian body types. ?Mediating again? Maybe you should just give me access to your room so I don?t have to bother your droid to let me in.?

Wilch wrinkled his nose. ?Smells like you had a good workout. Did you beat anybody today??

Plort nodded. ?I did quite well. I pulled Master Windu to a draw, but Yoda happened by and reminded me something to the effect of, ?confident one must be when facing the dangers of the galaxy, but open and humble one must be when facing equals or greater.??

?Sounds like you were sufficiently humbled.?

?Over abundantly humbled, which only Yoda can do so easily.? The admission that a small green being who walked with a cane and was barely a quarter of the Ithorian?s mass could dispatch him so quickly was obviously hard for Plort to admit. He shook his large neck and head regretfully, then reached into the bag and pulled out a lightsaber. Plort was always fine-tuning the lightsabers he made or was given to upgrade. He took it as a personal challenge to modify them just to the point of highest power output and most efficiency, right at the edge of functionality. More than once, a saber he was modifying had exploded in his hands, coming very close to causing him major damage. Only his Jedi reflexes saved the loss of a hand, or worse.

?Do you have to fiddle with those things here? You know I?ll get kicked out of this place if you blow a hole in the wall.?

?Admit it, you?re more afraid I?ll harm one of your plants. Besides, you know my species. We do our best work while in nature. Not much of nature to be found on Coruscant. My quarters excluded, your house is the only happy garden for a hundred klicks.? Plort closed his eyes and used the Force to explore the inner workings of his current project. When he was satisfied with what he felt, he pulled out some intricate-looking tools and started taking the cylinder apart.

Wilch watched him fiddle for several minutes, a small smile on his face. ?You?re the most aggressive Ithorian I?ve ever met.?

?Thank you. I?m tired of trying to live up to everybody?s pacifistic expectations.?

The only sound for several more minutes came from the tools that Plort was working with. Occasionally a powering-up battery sound broke the stillness. Essentially alone with his thoughts, he said the second most important thing that was on his mind. ?Yoda offered me a Master position again.?

?Knowing you, you didn?t take it.? The Ithorian?s face scrunched up in minor agitation. ?Wilch, everybody I know admires you for your wisdom and convictions, not only your powers.? He looked up with his sly, dark eyes. ?Besides, everyone admires me a little more for being friends with the wise yet reclusive Wilch Evlon.?

?Power. Singular. The only thing I do is see the future better than most other Jedi. Who wouldn?t want to harness that? Besides, my wisdom isn?t something they?ll take seriously.?

?For a Jedi, you have the lowest self esteem of anybody I?ve ever met. Most of the other Jedi are coming back from their missions touting their results and their worth to the Council.? He stopped tuning the lightsaber for the second it took him to point in a mock-accusatory tone. ?You come back from every mission proclaiming near-failure, even though you usually perform beyond their expectations, of which I might add, have been growing higher and higher. Why won?t you take their offer? Become a M
  13. jedidas3 Jedi Master

star 3
    Nice updates...this is very intriguing. [face_worried]

Well done!!!=D=
  14. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    [voice=Yoda]Beyond humble, Wilch is. [/voice] :p

He should listen to Plort... and Z7.

Great update. :)
  15. Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Wilch?s meditation lasted a very long time. It took only moments to make peace with his decision to go apologize to Plort. After he had regained his focus he meant to go explain what he had in mind for a contingency plan, but the Force lost him in other musings. As he regained the here and now, he blinked twice trying to clear his vision. Looking forward to getting his conversation over with Plort, the comm chimed. His ideas had ground to a halt; a Master called him. He flipped on the view screen with a nudge from the Force.

?Wilch, the Council needs you to mediate a dispute concerning the Trade Federation in the Commenor system. It seems the Federation is the one being swindled this time.? The other Jedi?s dark haired human face was schooled to passivity, but the strain of holding in his curiosity was apparent around his eyes.

?Yes Master. Anything I should know about the situation??

?Only that Vesuun Y?to asked for you personally. Again.? The master?s face was still blatantly bland, attempting to hide his interest that someone from the Federation would ask for help from a Jedi repeatedly. ?You should leave at your earliest convenience, before things get out of hand.?

?I?m on my way.?

?May the Force be with you, Knight Evlon.? The communication line was cut quickly.

What was Vesuun up to now? It wasn?t that long ago that Wilch had gone out to help him elsewhere. Granted, it seemed Vesuun was a more honest and productive member of the Federation than most, and it was true that Wilch was starting to feel pleasure with interacting with him. But all this contact was puzzling.

?If you?ll be leaving immediately master Evlon, here is your cloak. May I get you anything before you go?? Z7 was near the door, the robe in hand.

?Zee, you?re awfully anxious for me to leave. Is there anything you want to tell me??

?Why, no, master Evlon. I?m just trying to make your existence as unencumbered as possible.?

Wilch noted a little bit of discomfiture in the droid?s stance. ?Yes, well, we shall talk again when I return. Don?t go anywhere, hmm?? He slipped the robe on, checked to make sure his lightsaber was clipped onto his belt, and went to the speeder garage to get transportation to a ship.

Wilch?s favorite place wasn?t behind the helm of a starship, but he enjoyed it a great deal more than many Jedi. The Force was a mighty weapon for an individual, but it was a bulkier tool to use in space with the hand held controls of a spacecraft. There were mechanical imperfections that could crop up while relying primarily on machinery that made a Jedi?s instinctive predictions harder to use. As all Jedi, his piloting skills were improved many-fold by his command of the Force, and Wilch?s inherent dexterity helped him maneuver his ship better than the average Jedi.

He didn?t like being stuffed into the one-man ships that most Jedi used, and due to his longstanding position within the Order, he was allowed to take one of the larger craft. The one he selected was a dull gray vessel, thirty meters across, practically a freighter with cargo room and spare sleeping quarters. It was ?V? shaped, with the cockpit?a clear dome--resting above the primary hull, approximately in the middle of the ship. He bade a random astromech droid to follow him and it obediently rolled up the ramp and into the hull. He let the droid start up all the main ship functions while he quickly familiarized himself with the console layout. It didn?t take long for him to get the ship off the landing pad and into space, setting coordinates which aimed him to the Commenor system, just outside the inner rim. Feeling no hurry, he watched the hectic business of Coruscant zooming around him; large numbers of ships blasted off from the planet or nearby stations. Some were obviously in no hurry, but most jumped to hyperspace as quickly as possible. Hundreds of large ships of every shape jumped in to the sector every minute, quickly going about their business of trying to land and do whate
  16. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    Hmm... intriguing. I can't wait to see what happens next.
  17. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think Wilch should be wary. This doesn't sound good or appropriate for a Jedi Knight to be doing. I wonder what's going on....

Good job.
  18. Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Thanks for the kind words once again! The more I read this, the more I realize the first half of this story is....not very exciting. Bear with me!

Almost twelve hours later, the sublight engines cut in. Wilch gained his barings quickly, heading towards the only thing in wide-open space he could see: a white Trade Federation starship. The semi-circular hull enclosed the spherical main hull of the craft. Various antennae were arrayed about the bridge, near the middle of the C shaped enclosement. As Wilch flew closer to it, he saw that it wasn?t an ordinary Federation ship. It was much, much larger. Wings of a dozen ?U? shaped droid fighters ran training patterns and held combat drills, all but ignoring the freighter that had flown into the middle of their exercises. He waited only seconds before the com system chimed in and gave him permission to land, a polite voice asking if he?d like a tow into the hangar bay. He declined, and moments after setting his ship lightly down, Vesuun was waiting alone for him near the hangar entrance, beyond the slew of smaller Federation craft.

?Thank you for not turning around. I half suspected you would.?

Wilch bowed slightly. ?The thought never crossed my mind. You?ve been an honorable counterpart in our discussions, willing to negotiate fairly. I suppose you could say I trust you.?

The Neimoidian bowed. His noseless gray face and expressive eyes both displayed an open welcome. ?That was what I wanted to hear. I am honored. Come, let us go somewhere more comfortable. I assure you I?m not wasting your time.? They walked through the airlock and along a very relaxing stretch of hallway, carpeted very richly in a blue and red pattern. The lower half of the walls were lined with a material that looked like luxuriously pampered bantha hide, made soft by hours of labors.

?Quite the ship you have here. Is this your charge??

Vesuun nodded. ?The Federation put me in command of Jlangle w?om Mruat, yes. I had to call in a favor or two, though. So far, the ship has been worth it.?

?Great Profits or Death? Even for a Trade Federation ship name, isn?t that a little extreme??

?The actual translation is something like ?Profits that skyrocket or forfeit your soul?. The name is something I?m working on changing. Whether that will be worth it depends on some help from you, however.? Vesuun stopped and held out his very human-like hand, leading Wilch ahead of him into a large circular room containing an elegant transparent ellipse-shaped table and a dozen or so plush chairs, the head chair of which he pulled out for his guest. ?Please, sit.?

Evlon sat lightly in the seat, watching while his host went to a computer monitor and entered in some commands. A few tiny lights from the walls and ceiling flickered out. Vesuun punched a few more keys in, and contented with what he saw, sat down in the chair nearest to the Jedi.

?I have disabled all the security systems, holo-recorders, and sound recording devices for this room. I don?t want any evidence of this conversation to remain. I trust almost all of my crew, but with this I don?t want to take any chances. Later I?ll have a technician I trust overlay some other voices and background noises in, so you can say whatever you wish to say without fear of being overheard.?

Wilch raised one eyebrow, puzzled. ?What?s this about then??

?I want to quit. I don?t want to be part of the Trade Federation any longer.?

This certainly didn?t seem like something a Jedi would need to be involved in, though he could appreciate Vesuun?s caution. ?Surely you could just leave your post and take a shuttle to the Republic core worlds. If there?s some fear that the Federation won?t let you go alive, you could always claim diplomatic sanctuary. Even the Federation shouldn?t be able to touch you then.?

?It?s more than that. I want to take this ship with me.? Vesuun saw Wilch?s incredulous expression, his annoyance r
  19. Space_Wolf Force Ghost

star 3
    Can't wait to see what happens next. Can you add me to your pm list?
  20. Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Thanks for reading! Consider yourself added.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's episode!

:)
  21. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    I always hated racial stereotyping, and SW is rife with it... though I love SW. Wierd, eh?

Anyway, great update. I can't wait to see what happens next. This sounds like some sort of setup.
  22. Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Just over a standard day after he left, he returned to his small apartment. He hadn?t been gone long, so he wasn?t surprised to note that none of his plants needed water. Z7 was there to take his cloak only a few moments after arriving back home.

?Matris came by, master Evlon, and you received a call from Qui-Gon Jinn. Neither expressed urgency.?

?Busy day. Thank you, I?ll see what they want. I?ll let you know if I need anything.?

The droid, knowing how focused his master was, said nothing and waddled back to his work area.

While the Council must know he had returned already and be expecting his report, surely they wouldn?t begrudge him a call to a friend first. Besides, despite the hours spent on the flight back, he still needed more time to figure out what he was going to tell them.

He punched in Qui-Gon?s comm command. ?Master Qui-Gon, it?s Wilch Evlon.? Qui-Gon?s face looked a little more haggard than he remembered. The man was very close to his own age, near 45, but more gray streaks speckled his hair than the last time they had spoken.

?I?m glad you?ve called. The Force has shown me your face in many of my meditations, mixed with some strong confusion. Is there anything I can do for you??

Only Qui-Gon would hear Wilch?s frustration through the Force so plainly and want to discover the source. Wilch couldn't help but smile. ?I told you of my vision of the end of the Jedi, that?s hard enough to contemplate.? Qui-Gon had been strangely unmoved by the news, and had written the vision off when neither he nor Yoda sensed the same disaster.

?Other than those horrible images, not really. Master Yoda keeps urging me to join the Council and become a Master.?

?I don?t know why you won?t. I feel you would make a very successful Master. With such a position, you could do much good for the Order. Your ability to influence the Council would allow you to guide our path back to focus more wholly on what the Force stands for.?

?You would have far more success than I, Qui-Gon, if you took that position.? The subtle barb was there, prodding Qui-Gon for not taking a more Council-friendly stance. And the mental wound left over from the heated conversation with Plort was still a bit tender, making Wilch answer less tactfully than he might have under normal circumstances.

?Because they haven?t offered it to me. You know better than most why I do what I do, why I believe what I believe. The Council doesn?t think that my outlook is good for the Order, but if they offered me a place, I would take it in an instant.?

?I share many of your values.? He said this in a matter-of-fact tone.

Qui-Gon?s response was bordering exasperation. ?But they know you are tempered through your intellect and you would be more focused than I on guiding the Council on the stagnant path of the Code. Unlike me. I would rather drag them where my vision of the Force leads. They are not ready for a misfit like me to be on their governing body. I?m pleased so rarely with the Council?s decisions that I think I could go mad from disappointment. That is why I would be glad to have a position where I could offer more suggestions and attempt to nudge them to the path I feel all Jedi should tread.?

Wilch considered his friend?s words. ?Qui-Gon, you know I respect your devotion to the Force. You have been an inspiration to me, and a friend. Your friendship is one of the very few things I need out of the universe. But you need to face the unfortunate fact that there are politics in the Council. One dissenting vote, no matter how well correlated by the Force, cannot change the minds of sentients whose minds are made up.?

Qui-Gon recaptured his unflappable expression, his tone measured, logical, yet still passionate. ?That?s where we disagree. If it is the will of the Force, then it shall come to pass regardless of what we try to do to change it. I sense that, on occasion, the Code is blocking the Force?s true path.?

Almost the same words were said when Wilch told Qui-Gon of his
  23. Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Many hours later, Wilch regained enough control of his emotions to meditate. While in this contemplative state, visions of steps he could take flashed in his mind. Whether by his own mind or under the control of the Force, he didn?t know, but it didn?t matter. All that mattered now was to save as much as he could. That long list included Jedi Holocrons, training materials, histories, and one longstanding friendship. While he was deep in his trance, despite the pain from Qui-Gon?s words, he knew his friend had been right. He should have listened to those who counseled him to accept Mastery. Some problems could have been solved. In refusing to serve in a higher capacity, he felt he had partially failed as a Jedi. But by taking these next steps and doing what he felt was right, there was a possibility of some atonement.

He gathered everything he was going to need. Zee would remain behind to watch over his beloved plants, since he could come up with no feasible way of bringing them all with him. Quickly he drafted a resignation letter to the Jedi, and a letter to Yoda explaining part of his reasoning. As Wilch flourished his cloak over his shoulders and keyed the door open to leave, he met his first stumbling block.

?Matris!? He exclaimed, nearly running her over in his preoccupied haste.

She was a very tall human woman, able to meet him eye to eye. Her long, braided brown hair was prematurely sprinkled with flecks of silver here and there. At least four years his junior, her face was only now showing lines of age, which only added to her dignified beauty. Matris was his next-door neighbor; one who had always treated him with fondness and respect, yet she was still someone who Wilch never considered in his haste to leave.

?Headed off on another important Jedi mission are ye??

Despite having been to hundreds of civilized worlds, he still couldn?t place the origin of her oddly accented Basic. ?Something like that. I?m?likely to be gone a very long time.?

?And were ye gonna say goodbye to me??

How did you politely say, ?you never crossed my mind?? Wilch sensed a storm coming from her, so he diplomatically said nothing.

The storm Wilch sensed and the expression on her face were in complete agreement. Her face flushed red, yet he sensed little anger, only humiliation and trepidation. That was why he was surprised when she poked him right in his sternum with her first finger and took an exasperated voice.

?Ye never think about me. Despite all the times I?ve tried to convince ye that I care about ye, I?m still not even a blip on yer scanners. Well listen up, bucko. I don?t care about yer silly Jedi code or yer duty to the rest of the galaxy. I?ve begged you to take me on one of yer missions just to get out of me stuffy apartment. I love ye, ye blasted idiot. I?ve been trying to tell ye that for ten years and I?m done being passive about it.?

They had spent a fair amount of time together over the last ten years, but how could she suddenly announce she loved him? Objections came and died on his lips as he thought back to how he could have mistakenly led her on. After almost a minute of thought, he couldn?t recall any examples. But he remembered back to her attitudes towards him, and the blatant number of times she had gone ridiculously out of her way to interact with him. He was always glad to have her company, but it was as she said?-she never was a blip on his scanner. How could he be so wrapped up in himself or the Force that he never noticed that before? What was surprising him is that he didn?t reject her automatically. Attachments were not the Jedi way, and intimate relationships were supposed to be a doorway to the Dark side. Three hours ago he would have done his Jedi duty and steered her clear.

Her expression lost all sense of patience and she poked him again. ?And don?t give me that ?Jedi don?t make attachments? garbage. I?ve seen Jedi couples slinking around, pretending
  24. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Interesting. He's leaving everything behind because of what he'd seen. At least he got out before the end came. Taking along a companion might work but she'll expect things from him.

Good job.
  25. Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Thanks for your compliments again, Diane!

It was recommended that I don't post every day so as not to overwhelm the reader. Therefore I'm going to update every other day.

You can of course, *beg* me to post daily. Or bribes, they work too. But when someone who's been here a while suggests something, it's probably in your best interest to heed their words. :)

So, thanks for all who read this silly little thing I pretend to call a story. I should have an update tomorrow. :)
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.