main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Presidential Nominations

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Auraveda, Apr 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    Since Eric is resigning we should start taking nominations for our new president. If you are interested in being our new president nominate yourself here. Also, make any campaign speeches here.

Actual voting will take place at the upcoming big meeting once we hammer out a date and location.

We started discussing this on the other boards, but since the new people don't yet have access and not everyone posts or reads those boards we really should talk about this here. 2 people have nominated themselves for the post of president so far, I've recopied the pertinent parts of their posts here:

1. BYOB_Kenobi (Tom)
    "I seem to remember someone (or perhaps a number of persons) reccommending that I run for president not too long ago. Well consider this my official announcement for candidacy. Even if we decide a pres is unnecessary, can I at least be the head of a puppet regime? I always wanted to do that."

2. SySnootles (Catie)
    "I hadn't considered the possibility of "running for President." Charisma is not something I have, and I've always thought of a President as an energetic, magnetic (personality wise, not Magneto like), charismatic person. (That's why Eric seemed to fit the bill, IMO.)...but I will throw my hat into the ring. I have done a LOT of thinking about it (because thinking about work AT work is just wrong), and decided that this is something I am interested in pursuing."

So, if anyone else is interested, nominate yourself!

2. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    Anything regarding elections and leadership of the Milwookiee Council should be discussed here and not on the other boards. This is where it belongs as official business. I still don't see the point of a President since the position was never really given any power, authority or obligations. We could have some sort of council of those who represent the different groups and the CR is responsible to post specific meetings through the mods. As Sebulba has said, nothing has been submitted for a long time.

3. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    Yes, leadership discussion needs to happen here, that's why the conversation was moved.

Those are good questions that you raise Joan. Do we even need a president? What form should our leadership take?

Perhaps then instead of nominating oneself for president here, since it hasn't been decided exactly what form our leadership should take, one could express interest in being a part of whatever sort of leadership we come up with.

4. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Both of those nominations were also made in another thread so they were never hidden on another board. With all of the multiple threads dealing with the topic, I forget where they are, but I believe it's in the "From the president" thread. I think we don't actually need a president, but if we do I recommend both of the people listed above, plus Dan. I believe Jasonwing also nominated Tom.

Dwayne

5. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    I'll just say this.

If we don't feel we need a President, then we won't have a President. That's perfectly okay with me. But don't tell me where I should and should not talk about something. I didn't post anything here about my interest in the position because I wasn't even sure there was a position to be interested in.

The idea of "representatives" from each "group" is in my opinion the best option. Power isn't what this group is interested in delegating. (I think) We need communication and diplomatic relations. Are those concepts which need a supreme position for overseeing? Seems almost antithetical.

Thank you, Dawn, for bringing my post over. No sarcasm intended. Although you edited out the funniest part!

6. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    I agree with Catie. We need to delegate responsibilities for specific things to set people and then we would not have as many problems. A general meeting is the best place to discuss this so we must continue to work on that.

7. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I said it before and I'll just repeat what I said again. If each group wants someone to speak for them they can go ahead and do that. Those folks are responsible for setting up events for the entire group. That's their only responsibility. Jeff takes care of complaints on the board and I don't think we've had a complaint outside the board. Is it "divisive" (Big Head Jeff and his dictionary words) yes..but that's how the group is. Why fight what's been working for us? We just need some conversations been the groups instead of shouting matches.

So don't sit down Catie, we're probably not done with you yet.

M

8. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I think that individual group moderators would be the best system. I assume most groups already have a de facto leader. Also I think it should be up to the group to decide its practices and the responsibilities of its leader. The book club might want meetings posted on the Fan Force site while the costume thread might not think its necessary.

Dealing with problems on the board would fall on the City Rep, and more importantly, each other.

As for calling big meetings or announcing events, (insert flag waving behind me) it should be a power shared by all, from the newest member to the most seasoned veteran. If people decide it's necessary, or a good idea, they'll pile on. Based on the early success of the group at the museum meeting, we thought we were on to bigger and better things, we had a treasurer, a web designer, T-shirts and badges... I think it's a lot like planning a vacation. At first, you want to go everywhere, see everything. But you realize the money, or the time off work isn't there, and you scale back. In a few years you can take that big dream vacation, but for right now, you can settle on a four day weekend away from it all. Right now, we're at the "We'll turn this car around right now mister" stage. Just need to refold dad's map, pump him full of coffee and drive. In short, what we were at the beginning isn't what we are now. We can scale back. If we treat this as a group of friends rather than an organization in need of government, we'll be just fine.

I realize not everyone will share my sense of laissez-faire attitude, so if we need a president, I'll support whoever it turns out to be. I'm not going to Brewster's Millions the election. If you don't understand the reference, don't worry, it's not a movie worth watching.

Dwayne

9. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    I agree. I'll also support anyone, as long as their motive for being president is making this Fan Force bigger, faster, & stronger (and better). If a committee is the way to go, then so be it--I'll support those folks, too. Whoever takes the post(s) should 1) Want the job; 2) Be willing to spend a little bit of time on it; 3) Be flexible in their views and opinions; 4) Be a good listener. It's not rocket science, I don't think. If we want to table all this talk until the next meeting, then I think that's what we should do, rather that just being overly redundant about what does and doesn't need to be done and in which forum. It's getting tired.

Jason

10. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    My hat is officially in the ring. I feel like a bull moose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.