main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Press Start and Listen: The Videogame Music Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Son of the Suns, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Who's the composer for the Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb score? And is he or she going to incorporate Williams' themes?

2. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Clint Bajakian.. he helped write the music on Monkey Island 2, 3, did most of the work on 4, did Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, and most of the stuff at LucasArts. He has since formed his own company, but continues to do work with LEC.

Check this out for more on the score.

Oh, I assume Clint will incorporate Williams's themes, any LEC game has to rights to.

3. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    Hey everyone! Newbie here! :)

Nobuo Uematsu is my favourite video game music composer. I think his best work is heard in Final Fantasy VII. My god that soundtrack is good...

I don`t know if anyone in here played the game ICO, but the music in the game is very beautiful and VERY haunting... What a great game! :)

4. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I'm not sure what I'd consider my favorite of the Final Fantasy scores. I'm torn between IV, VI and VIII.

5. netpadawan

netpadawan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Hey.

Today I´ve received the score for the Starfleet Academy Pc Game. I´ve buy it on ebay. I´ts a nice score from Ron Jones composer from The Next Generation early seasons, and Brian Luzietti.

I felt in love with the music while playing the game and finally i got the score!

6. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    Ah yes, Ico has some lovely music, very simple but emotional. If I remember correctly some of it involved mandolins.

7. Darth_Insidious

Darth_Insidious Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I wish Uematsu had at least some part in Kingdom Hearts soundtrack. Especially since FFXI may not even come to NA. But the person who did compose the music still did a very nice job, and there's cool variations of Disney themes in there, as well as the original versions of those themes and original work.

8. Darth_Obstreperous

Darth_Obstreperous Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    I wish Uematsu did the music for the FF Movie. Not that Goldenthal's score was at all bad but it would have been interesting to see what Nobuo-sama would have done with it since no one knows FF music better than him.
    He's never scored a movie, has he?

9. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I second that. I was really disappointed when I read that Goldenthal would make the score.

10. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I third that. Goldenthal's score was one of my many problems with the film. It never sounded like Final Fantasy to me. But then again, the film was definitely not Final Fantasy as we know it...

On the other hand, Yoko Shinomura did a great job with the Kingdom Hearts score, so I don't think Uematsu's involvement was necessary.

11. Darth_Insidious

Darth_Insidious Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    The music in Kingdom Hearts is too short. Most of the loops feel like under a minute.

12. Darth_Potter

Darth_Potter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2001
    OOOO! Video game music! Just recently, I downloaded classical versions of Zelda songs. Ocarina things. They're awesome. Tell me if you wanna know more.

13. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I can't decide between Yasunori Mitsuda and Uematsu. The Chrono Trigger/Cross, Xenogears, Xenosaga soundtracks have been AMAZING. AMAZING.

14. Darth_Doug

Darth_Doug Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2002
    I've been a Uematsu fan for a while, and it's great to find people with some of the same tastes who can recommend similar styles, etc. Thanks!

15. Darth_Potter

Nov 2, 2001
    Now I know where those Orchestral things are from. Now can anyone tell me where my Zelda music could be from?

16. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I'm not sure, Potter. You need to describe those tracks better.

Has anyone heard of the anime Ah! My Goddess: The Movie? I'm asking because I just found out that Nobuo Uematsu co-composed the score.

17. OwenSkywalker3

OwenSkywalker3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 23, 2002
    Guys,

If you like video game music, go to Lucasarts.com, go to the Official Bounty Hunter Site, and download the 4 tracks from Jeremy Soule. All very short, but very nice, and very much in the Star Wars vein...

Ah... now, with that out of the way, who knows where I can download any tracks from Lucasarts SW games? I know that Force Commander had original music, but I understand Tie Fighter did as well. Anyone know where I can download this, track titles, composers, anything like that?

Any data at all is appreciated...

OS

18. Darth_Potter

Nov 2, 2001
    Someone IM me using AIM and I will send you one of the songs, they're very good but hard to describe.....

My screen name is Edag88 (aol)

19. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I personally prefer Mitsuda over Uematsu, but I may be a bit biased since I like Chrono Trigger and Xenogears (and their respective sequels/prequels) more than Final Fantasy. I especially like Mitsuda's work with the London Philharmonic Orchestra for Xenosaga: Episode I, it has a very epic and space-opera feel to it.

Now if only I can find a reasonably priced import version of the soundtrack, instead of my lame MP3 bootleg 8-}

20. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    Uematsu Co-Composed the Oh My Godess film???!!! That`s so cool! Haven`t seen the film yet, but I love the series! :)

21. TwiLekSith

TwiLekSith Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    1stAD, I now listened to the OST to Xenosaga and while I really like it and think it's truly fantastic (the few choirs, the use of pianos, the grander pieces (like Gnosis) and the silent ones (game over or sorrow)), I still like Final Fantasy more ;)

But without you mentioning it here, I'd have missed some great music - I thank you, and so does my playlist :D

22. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Uematsu is my favorite for sure.

Any Final Fantasy Soundtrack is good enough for me. I'm actually going to buy a few of the soundtracks for myself as a Christmas present.

Mario Brothers has good music also.

The Legend of Zelda Main Theme is just awesome. But Ocarina of Time has the best music of that series.

Themes from the TMNT games are good.

I actually have a level theme from Contra in my head right now.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night is one of my all time favorites though.

23. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I haven't seen this brought up, but I really like Harry Gregson-Williams' score for Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. The first part (Tanker) has a very Hollywood action-hero feel to it. The second half (Plant) is much more chaotic and futuristic. You can hear the immediate differences between Snake and Raiden once the game switches characters. Snake is a seasoned veteran of the past, confident in everything, whereas Raiden is a rookie in a high-tech battlefield. unsure of who he is or why he's fighting.

I just wish the music for Snake's portion was used more often in the game, but I suppose Metal Gear Solid: Substance will feature more of the themes composed for Snake's story.

24. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Which LucasArts games music are you interested in? Most of the goodstuff is in MIDI and can be found at http://imuse.mixnmojo.com/

25. Darth_Obstreperous

Darth_Obstreperous Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Yeah, I used to listen to my MGS2 soundtrack everyday. I love it. My favorite is "The World Needs Only One Big Boss". But the whole cd rocks. Yeah. Rocks hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.