main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Preventing right click and save for images?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by R2D1000, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R2D1000

R2D1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Hello

Suppose your web page has an image you don't want people right clicking and saving, how do you do this? I'm using MS Word, but you can also tell me the html tag I can add it in.

2. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
  3. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    even tho... screen capture still works...

4. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    You can't stop it. Anyone who wants the image will get it. It just annoys the hell out of me when I find sites that try and stop you from right clicking. Now I can't save an image, or copy text accuratly, or Add it to my Favorites easily, or view the source easily, or any of those handy functions.

There are tons of ways for anyone who wants that image to get it. Viewing source and finding the path, then looking at it and saving it. Screen Capture. caching the page and finding the image in Temp Inter Files. Saving the Page and getting it that way.

Don't try and stop people, it will only want them to take the images. It'd be much better if you put a copywrite marker in the image.

¤Night

5. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Yeah, the only thing you can do is make it more difficult.

Why do you want to prevent this?

6. R2D1000

R2D1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Because it features original fan art drawn by me. Is there any copyright for original artwork?

7. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    The moment you make it,its copywrited(sp?).

Your best bet if you dont want someone to steal it is to put some kind of watermark on it. Even if its just your name embedded somewhere on the image.

8. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    Watermakrs just piss people off.

Of course the only thing I ever do to get around the right click thing is highlight what I want, press ctrl+c, go into word/paint/whatev, and hit ctrl+v. If that doesn't work I just go into the source and take what I need. *shrugs* I don't try and stop what happens. You could jsut SIGN your pictures, too, ya know, in a place where it wouldn't be easy to cut out.

9. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Watermakrs just piss people off.

Exactlly ;)

10. Fan

Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    On most sites, where right clicking is disabled, if you right click while holding down the left mouse button, the regular right click menu thing will show up.

Also, it's easy enough to click the View menu at the top of the page, and go to Source, and find the direct URL of the image there.

11. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Use script instead of HTML.

Also, I can't remember, but if you use frames you might not be able to view the source of the page with the pic if you do it right.

12. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Also, I can't remember, but if you use frames you might not be able to view the source of the page with the pic if you do it right.

All that does is add one more step to the "View Source" route, not eliminate it.

¤Night

13. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Basically, don't put it on the web if you don't want to share it with the world.

14. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    If ytou have frames, all the person needs to do is right click the page, get the link to the page, and view the source for that. *shrugs*

15. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    just screen cap. no problem. you cant stop people from copying your work, unless you have an inventive way of displaying it.

for example, (i am not jokin) making it a one-frame quicktime movie and placing that movie on you webpage. actually, this isnt a bad idea. i may try this now. because of QT file protection, no screen caps would work. and exception to this would be if they used the image and were somehow able to insert it into their page like you did. then again... once the find out how you did it, then they will do it too. but for now, this seems to be a good idea :p)

[edit]alright. i gave my idea a try. here is a webpage that has a pic noone can copy without a great effort. the test will be to see if someone can do it ;)
    http://www.geocities.com/nocopypics/
    [/edit]

16. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    i did it. here's how: saved the qt movie onto my hard drive. then opened it using quicktime and clicked on edit > copy. then into my image editor i did an edit > paste as new image. i could then save it as any image file type i so desired.
    :p

17. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    fine. but that means that you have QT pro... actually... no. right. you can COPY in QT. darn. lol. well its closer ;)

another thing is that unless you know QT well and other skills... it would be tough to do.

but thats right... good work. (i forgot that QT can copy :p)

18. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    yeah, that's a lot more work than most people are willing to do just to save an image. beseides, i bet hardly anyone would even think of doing that. :p

19. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    If someone wanted the pic reeeeally bad, I bet they'd be willing to take a snapshot of it with a camera and go through it that way.

*shrugs* Let's just face it, some people have no respect. *shrugs*

20. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    wouldnt there be some way to do this using flash? i have no clue... but seems like smthng would work...

21. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    well inside flash there's really no way to save an image (or anything for that matter) other than doing a print screen.

22. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Indeed, but Print Screen is pretty easy too.

23. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    ^ That was my point, lol!

24. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    is there a way to prevent that?

another thought i had was to do some programming (not sure what language/how) that tells the comp to turn the pic solid black (or smthng similar) when prnt scrn is pressed, so thats what is captured. my worry then would be that the image would be captured before (in a split second- computer time ;)) the image was not visable... what u think?

25. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I got nothin' :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.