main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Preview of Coming Attractions: 21 Jump Street

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Release date: 2 September, 2005

Starring: Ralph Fiennes, Rachel Weisz, and Danny Huston

Director: Fernando Meirelles

Based on a John LeCarre novel.

Trailer here: http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/theconstantgardener.html

Typical trailer, in that it tells way too much about the plot.

So far, the reviews are good.

Pros: good cast, intriguing subject

Cons: Except for his early stuff, I loathe LeCarre. A bit of 'white knight' syndrome showing in this movie.

Verdict: I'll probably wait for the DVD.

2. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    Could be a good thriller. Didn't watch the trailer - no soundcard here.
    Being extremely attracted to Rachel Weisz, I might catch this one.

Good idea for a thread.

3. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    City of God is considered one of the best movies ever made. I've already seen this once, and I'll prolly see it twice before the weeks up (one of the perks of working at a movie theater--free movies).

4. COMPANION_OF_FEAR

COMPANION_OF_FEAR Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 20, 2005
    I'll certainly be checking this one out.

5. Zombi_2_1979

Zombi_2_1979 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2005
    I really flipped over City of God when I first seen it and it's the only film I've seen by Meirelles. He has done other work on the same subjects. But for some reason, my interest has continually dwindled and dwindled more with "The Constant Gardener". And I can't put my finger on it.

Maybe because I've had it up to here with political/conspiracy thrillers. And expected something more from Meirelless.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The last Le Carre effort adapted for the screen was The Tailor Of Panama, which I loved as a film and a book. I haven't read The Constant Gardner, skipping it for Absolute Friends.

I'm looking forward to this for sure.

E_S

7. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    This movie looks pretty interesting.

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Stupid double post.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: "A Sound of Thunder"

Release Date: 2 September, 2005

Starring: Edward Burns, Katherine McCormack, & Ben Kingsley

Director: Peter Hyams

Based on: Short story by Ray Bradbury

Trailer: http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=trailer&id=1808405973

Plot: Time travel and somebody changes the time/space continuum. Or something.

Reviews: Brutal. Example: "[Ed Burns' character] says: "We have to make sure this never happens again." We beg you." Or: "Ben Kingsley...is clearly trying to give the worst performance possible...as if he's begging Hyams to cut his scenes out of the movie." Much comment about Burns being wooden enough to heat your home with.

Pros: I like Kingsley, but it appears, not in this. I also like Bradbury, but I don't deny that he requires careful adaptation, and apparently didn't get it.

Cons: I remember old Star Trek episodes with this plot. This ain't fresh.

Verdict: I might watch this on televison, but only if it's five a.m. and the competing programming is infomercials.

10. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I don't know much about Constant Gardner, and the preview, while not bad, didn't suck me in. I don't care for the Fienneses, but I like Rachel Weisz a lot. I may see it if it ever comes my way, but I won't pay to see it.

As to a A Sound of Thunder -- Hyams has been making mediocre at best movies for thirty years. This one looks quite dreadful, and even the best reviews I've seen say that all it's got going for it is its enthusiasm. Some other review blurbs:

"This movie makes Plan 9 from Outer Space look good!"

"The special effects in this movie make Land of the Lost look like Jurassic Park!"

The only movie coming out this year that I can think of that looks worse than this one is Doom.

11. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Trailer looked absolutely horrible. Which is a huge shame, because I love the story that it's based off of.

12. Zombi_2_1979

Jul 13, 2005
    Getting back to The Constant Gardener, the film is supposed to be a throwback to the conspiracy thrillers of the 70s. A time when the subgenre peaked and was a boxoffice hit. However, early reviews claim this film is said to lack the biting cynicism and political consciousness of the era of it's predessors despite the controversial climate of today.

And I don't think this film has anything original or relevent to offer to modern audiences that they haven't seen done before. Shame on you Meirelles!

"A Sound of Thunder" no comment only Jurassic Park covered this material from another angle and I have no doubts Spielberg's vision is going make the film look craptacular. Same conclusion as the opening film of the thread.

13. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Comparing it to JP is comparing apples to oranges. They are nothing a like in any sense of the word.

Comparing it to that Simpsons tree house of horor where Homer goes back in time and steps on a bug would be spot on (since both are based on the same short story). The Simpson's episode is much, much, much better.

I saw it last night because, well, when ever a movie gets reviews that bad I have to see it. Its like watching a train wreck. It can't be that bad you think. It is :)

Terrible effects. I watched it back to back with Brothers Grimm and I thought those effects were pretty bad. A Sound of Thunder made it look like LOTR. You almost wonder if they weren't going for such bad effects for some reason. You figure that TV and even fan films turn out better blue screen work then this.

As bad as it was though it still isn't the worst thing that I've seen in recent history. I wouldn't recomend waiting for the DVD on this one though. Wait for it to come to cable. Not HBO cable either, more like TBS cable (where I'm sure it will become a staple).

14. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    SoT Verdict: Library checkout

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    How was the acting, then, weezer? Or is this one of those movies where acting doesn't come into play?

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: "The Man"

Release date: 9 September 2005

Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, Eugene Levy, & Miguel Ferrer

Director: Les Mayfield

Plot: Street-wise police officer (Jackson) is teamed with timid salesman (Levy) to crack some stupid police case. You've seen this plot 159,000 times before.

Trailer here: http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808655456&cf=trailer

Film clip here: http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808655456&cf=trailer

Reviews: None in yet. You can just imagine, though.

Pros: Jackson.

Cons: It's only 84 minutes long; the clips especially show a flaccid pacing; Mayfield is not exactly an auteur; it's the same old plot; and Levy whines incessantly.

Verdict: Not even on television.

17. Zombi_2_1979

Jul 13, 2005
  18. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    It's weird that the CGI in ASOT is so bad-Zoic was responsible for them. They must just be better with space ships and cool camera work in space.

19. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Acting doesn't really come into play. The scenes where people aren't running and screaming are literly the same over and over. I think it was a play on the whole time travel thing but there was a running gag where everyone kept reciting this script over and over.

Kingsley was way over the top but thats kinda what the script called for. All of the rolls were like that. Very generic. The doctor, the scientist, the hero, etc.

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Its an odd thing actually. The creature effects were relatively good. At points they were pretty darn good actually. The long shots of the city were good as well as some of the flying ships. It was when they were walking through the city that it just looked terrible. The cars didn't even look finished. I'd assume they put the B-team on this one and they were just super rushed. The city scape could of been added late in production or something. Maybe they should of put the guy from Trekkies on it :p

21. weezer

May 16, 2001
    One more thing about the acting then I'll stop talking about a movie that I was the only one on earth to see (seriously though, you know how much it made this weekend $1.5 million :eek: )

I didn't think that Ed Burns was especialy wooden (have you done a career killing movie post on him yet Zaz) but I was getting him confused with the Dr from Lost a lot. It was just odd how much he looked like him and how he seemed to have similar mannerisms. When I think back about the movie I keep picturing him instead of Burns. So if you think that Matt Fox in Lost is wooden you would definatly find Ed Burns wooden.

22. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    Aww, I was hoping it was a movie based on Ray Bradbury's great short story. Of course, expanding a ten page story to the big screen would probably entail it having little to do with the original work and it would be another Jurassic Park at best...

23. _HothWampa_

_HothWampa_ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2002
    It is based on the short story by Bradbury...

24. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Concerning the Man. I like Jackson a lot and Levy is brillant in Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman, but I'll pass on this.

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: "The Exorcism of Emily Rose"

Release date: 9 September, 2005

Starring: Laura Linney; Tom Wilkinson; Jennifer Carpenter; Campbell Scott; Colm Feore.

Directed by: Scott Derrickson

Plot: A lawyer (Linney) defends a priest (Wilkinson) who is accused with homicide after an exorcism on Carpenter goes awry.

Trailer: My god! Even the trailers have commercials now! This one is fairly disappointing, and looks cliche-ridden. See the trailer here: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/exorcism_of_emily_rose/trailers.php

Reviews: Mixed. "An unusually intelligent genre item that manages to mix full-bore horror with courtroom drama" vs. "From what I can tell, Emily Rose died from a terminal case of bad screenwriting."

Pros: Very good cast;

Cons: Awful straight-to-video title; everyone will compare it with "The Exocist."

Verdict: Not a horror fan myself, and will give it a miss.