main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Preview of Coming Attractions: 21 Jump Street

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Salt (2010) ? Reviews, Ratings, and Trailers

N/A Tomatometer

Reviews Counted:2

Fresh:1

Rotten:1

Average Rating:N/A

Runtime: 1 hr. 39 min.

Genre: Action & Adventure, Mystery & Suspense

Theatrical Release: Jul 23, 2010 Wide

Synopsis: "As a CIA officer, Evelyn Salt (Jolie) swore an oath to duty, honor and country. Her loyalty will be tested when a defector accuses her of being a Russian spy. Salt goes on the run, using all her skills and years of experience as a covert operative to elude capture. Salt's efforts to prove her innocence only serve to cast doubt on her motives, as the hunt to uncover the truth behind her identity continues and the question remains: "Who Is Salt?"--©Sony"

Starring: Angelina Jolie, Liev Schreiber, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Andre Braugher, Zoe Lister Jones, Yara Shahidi, Gaius Charles, Victor Slezak, Cassidy Hinkle, Daniel Olbrychski

Director: Phillip Noyce

Screenwriter: Kurt Wimmer, Brian Helgeland
    Producer: Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, Sunil Perkash
    Studio: Sony Pictures

Poster: Good
    Trailer: Intriguing
    Pro: the cast, Noyce is generally a good director
    Con: Not sure yet
    Verdict: I'm interested.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Looks dull, don't like Jolie. Not interested.

3. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I think I heard somewhere this movie was originally written with Tom Cruise in mind? So the idea of a genuine action/thriller starring a female without "she's a hot chick" being a key plot point* is kind of interesting to me.

Also, Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Still, it could easily go either way. I'll have to hear word-of-mouth.

*Though Jolie herself can't exactly help but be attractive. :p

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Looking foward to it- looks like a fun mix of Wanted and Bourne, and the trailer leaves her motives and actions ambiguous so there's still mystery to be had and it's not just a clear-cut "she's innocent and must prove her name" thing.

5. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Noyce made some corking action films in the early 90s, and before the boring Catch a Fire, had a superb double-header with The Quiet American and Rabbit-Proof Fence. But he's made a lot of rubbish as well. Apart from Ejiofor, he's the only thing that makes me think this could even be marginally worthwhile, but for some reason I don't think so.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Clear and Present Danger was Noyce, right? I doubt this will be as good as Rabbit Proof Fence or The Quiet American, which, as mentioned above, has to be one of the great one-two punches in the history of cinema; two devestating masterpieces.

7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Both Clear and Present Danger and Patriot Games were helmed by Noyce.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm, I've never even heard of Rabbit or Quiet. I'll keep an eye out for them.

9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Life During Wartime (2010) ? Movie Reviews, Ratings, and Trailers

76 % Tomatometer

Reviews Counted:35

Fresh:27

Rotten:8

Runtime: 1 hr. 36 min.

Genre: Drama, Comedy

Theatrical Release: Jul 23, 2010 Limited

Synopsis: "Part sequel, part variation on his acclaimed and controversial HAPPINESS, the newest film from celebrated director Todd Solondz (WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE, PALINDROMES) assembles an amazing ensemble cast including Allison Janney, Shirley Henderson, Paul Reubens, Michael Kenneth Williams, Alley Sheedy, Charlotte Rampling, and Ciáran Hinds in an utterly hilarious exploration of the boundaries of forgiveness, family, and love. Ten years have passed since shocking revelations shattered the world of the Jordan family, and now sisters Joy (Henderson), Trish (Janney), and Helen (Sheedy), each embroiled in their own unique dilemmas, struggle to find their place in an unpredictable and volatile world. The past now haunts their family both literally and otherwise, and jeopardizes the future. Alternately hilarious and tragic, outrageous and poignant, LIFE DURING WARTIME is an audacious comedy with unexpected resonance. --© IFC"

Starring: Shirley Henderson, Ciarán Hinds, Allison Janney, Charlotte Rampling, Michael Kenneth Williams, Ally Sheedy, Michael Lerner, Renée Taylor, Chris Marquette, Paul Reubens, Michael K. Williams, Roslyn Ruff

Director: Todd Solondz

Screenwriter: Todd Solondz
    Producer:
    Studio: IFC Films

Poster: Intriguing
    Trailer: Not Seen it
    Pro: Interesting cast, Solondz
    Con: Solondz (if he's not your taste)
    Verdict: DVD because this won't open where I live

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, man. I envy you watching those movies for the first time. They're amazing. Quiet is maybe Michael Caine's best performance ever. I mean that's entirely possible.

And I'd forgotten Noyce did both Patriot and Clear and Present. Odd, since they're such different films.

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Sure they're different, but they're equally bad movies. :p

Patriot Games went into the toilet when they had Ryan kill Sean; the whole point of the book was summed up in the final scene where Ryan didn't kill him.

And Clear & Present Danger was just so severely edited/modified for no particular reason that it's hardly recognizable as the same story.

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Ebert does it again: "Jolie's character, Evelyn Salt, makes it look as though Run Lola Run was about walking."

[face_laugh]

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Get Low (2010)

[image=http://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/get-low-movie-poster-1-450x600.jpg]

100 % Tomatometer

Reviews Counted:15

Fresh:15

Rotten:0

Average Rating:8.2/10
    Share |

Runtime: 1 hr. 40 min.

Genre: Romance, Mystery & Suspense, Drama

Theatrical Release: Jul 30, 2010 Limited

Synopsis: A movie spun out of equal parts folk tale, fable and real-life legend about the mysterious, 1930s Tennessee hermit who famously threw his own rollicking funeral party... while he was still alive. [

Starring: Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, Bill Murray, Lucas Black, Gerald McRaney, Bill Cobbs, Scott Cooper, Lori Beth Edgeman, Linds Edwards, Andrea Powell

Director: Aaron Schneider

Screenwriter: C. Gaby Mitchell, Chris Provenzano
    Producer:
    Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics

Trailer: Not seen one

Pro: the cast

Con: the director is a first-timer

Verdict: Yes

14. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Been wanting to see this one for a while.

15. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Yes, this movie looks quite amusing.

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Dinner for Schmucks (2010)

100 % Tomatometer

Reviews Counted:7

Fresh:7

Rotten:0

Average Rating:7.8/10

Runtime: 1 hr. 50 min.

Genre: Comedy

Theatrical Release: Jul 30, 2010 Wide

Synopsis: An extraordinarily stupid man possesses the ability to ruin the life of anyone who spends more than a few minutes in his company.

Starring: Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, Stephanie Szostak, Zach Galifianakis, Bruce Greenwood, Lucy Davenport, Jemaine Clement, Jeff Dunham, Ron Livingston, Andrea Savage, Lucy Punch

Director: Jay Roach

Screenwriter: Andy Borowitz, Ken Daurio
    Producer:
    Distributor: Paramount Studios

Trailer: Not seen it

Pro: the cast, the reviews

Con: too much like real life

Verdict: Probably

17. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I don't dislike Carrell, but the trailer is very unfunny.

18. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    Laughed out loud at this.

The French movie the premise is borrowed from is good, though also very much a product of its time. But we can't really use it to predict, as everyone involved in promoting this movie has been careful to stress that it's very very different once you get past the basic conceit.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I don't know, but Carrell and Rudd together in a movie is like comic perfection, as far as I'm concerned.

20. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    The original is great, but the trailer looks awful.

However, the presence of Bruce Greenwood might save it.

21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I would agree that the trailer didn't do much for me, but the trailers for Superbad and The Hangover didn't do much for me either, and those are two of my favorite comedies.

I think, given the premise, the cast, and the director, this has great potential, and some of the early reviews from sources like Variety are quite positive.

I plan to see this. I hope it's good, because I've been looking forward to it, and I love Steve Carell. [face_love]

22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Charlie St. Cloud (2010)

13 % Tomatometer

Reviews Counted:8

Fresh:1

Rotten:7

Average Rating:3.8/10

Runtime: 1 hr. 49 min.

Genre: Drama

Theatrical Release: Jul 30, 2010 Wide

Synopsis: "Charlie St. Cloud is a young man overcome by grief at the death of his younger brother. So much so that he takes a job as caretaker of the cemetery in which his brother is buried. Charlie has a special lasting bond with his brother though, as he can see him. Charlie meets up with his brother (Sam) each night to play catch and talk. Then, a girl comes into Charlie's life and he must choose between keeping a promise he made to Sam, or going after the girl he loves."

Starring: Zac Efron, Kim Basinger, Amanda Crew, Donal Logue, Ray Liotta, Charlie Tahan, Chris Massoglia, Dave Franco

Director: Burr Steers

Screenwriter: Craig Pearce, Lewis Colick
    Producer:
    Distributor: Universal Pictures

Poster: Zac Efron looking soulful

Trailer: Zac Efron looking angsty

Pro: If you like Zac Efron's looks

Con: If you don't like Zac Efron's looks

Verdict: See 'Con'

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I saw the trailer before Inception and couldn't help laughing at how ridiculously cheesy and melodramatic it was. It looks awful.

24. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Charlie St. Cloud is a young man overcome by grief at the death of his younger brother. So much so that he takes a job as caretaker of the cemetery in which his brother is buried. Charlie has a special lasting bond with his brother though, as he can see him. Charlie meets up with his brother (Sam) each night to play catch and talk.

That is not a healthy person. That is someone who should be in the constant care of mental health professionals.

25. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    Am I the only one who wants this little kid to scream "AVENGE ME" every time this trailer comes on? Yes? Okay.