main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Preview of Coming Attractions: 21 Jump Street

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Unstoppable (2010)

Tomatometer: 86

Average Rating: 6.9/10
    Reviews Counted: 102
    Fresh: 88 | Rotten: 14

"As fast, loud, and relentless as the train at the center of the story, Unstoppable is perfect popcorn entertainment -- and director Tony Scott's best movie in years."

Average Rating: 7.1/10
    Critic Reviews: 30
    Fresh: 27 | Rotten: 3

Audience: 83

liked it
    Average Rating: 3.9/5
    User Ratings: 19100

Movie Info

Genre: Drama, Action & Adventure, Mystery & Suspense

Synopsis: "Unstoppable, a 20th Century Fox drama about a runaway train carrying a cargo of toxic chemicals. Pits an engineer and his conductor in a race against time. They're chasing the runaway train in a separate locomotive and need to bring it under control before it derails on a curve and causes a toxic spill that will decimate a town."

Rated: PG-13 [See Full Rating] for sequences of action and peril, and some language

Running Time: 1 hr. 38 min.

In Theaters: Nov 12, 2010 Wide

Distributor:20th Century Fox

Directed By: Tony Scott

Cast: Denzel Washington, Chris Pine, Rosario Dawson, Ethan Suplee

Poster: Very Poor

Trailer: Now This is an Effective Trailer

Pro: The cast

Con: The concept has been done "Runaway Train", etc.

Verdict: Yes, probably.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm no fan of Tony Scott -- and didn't he just make a train movie? -- but the reviews have convinced me to throw this on the queue.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Surprisingly, this looks good to me.

4. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Morning Glory (2010)

Tomatometer: 55 per cent

Average Rating: 6/10
    Reviews Counted: 117
    Fresh: 64 | Rotten: 53

"It's lifted by affable performances from its impeccable cast, and it's often charming -- but Morning Glory is also inconsistent and derivative."

Audience: 66 per cent liked it

Movie Info

Genre: Comedy

Synopsis: "From director Roger Michell ("Notting Hill," "Venus"), producer J.J. Abrams (Felicity," "Alias," "Lost," "Star Trek," "Fringe"), and writer Aline Brosh McKenna ("The Devil Wears Prada," "27 Dresses"), comes "Morning Glory," a new romantic comedy set in the hilarious and dysfunctional world of morning television. Rachel McAdams, Harrison Ford and Diane Keaton star, along with Patrick Wilson and Jeff Goldblum. When hard-working TV producer Becky Fuller (McAdams) is fired from a local news program, her career begins to look as bleak as her hapless love life. Stumbling into a job at "Daybreak" (the last-place national morning news show), Becky decides to revitalize the show by bringing on legendary TV anchor Mike Pomeroy (Ford). Unfortunately, Pomeroy refuses to cover morning show staples like celebrity gossip, weather, fashion and crafts, let alone work with his new co-host, Colleen Peck (Keaton), a former beauty queen and longtime morning show personality, who is more than happy covering morning "news." As Mike and Colleen clash, first behind the scenes and then on the air, Becky's blossoming love affair with fellow producer, Adam Bennett (Wilson) begins to unravel. And soon Becky is struggling to save her relationship, her reputation, her job and ultimately, the show itself. -- (C) Paramount"

Rated: PG-13 [See Full Rating] for some sexual content including dialogue, language and brief drug references

Running Time: 1 hr. 42 min.

In Theaters: Nov 10, 2010 Wide

US Box Office:$11.8M

Starring: Rachel McAdams, Harrison Ford, Diane Keaton

Poster: Not bad, not great

Trailer: Ditto

Pro: the Cast

Con: the reviews

Verdict: TV on a slow night

5. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    I saw Unstoppable and I thought it was pretty good.

The entire theater was quiet during the tense parts and cheered at the end. So all in all awesome movie.

(also help I adore Chris Pine...and Denzel of course)

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I've got to say this is perfect casting for Harrison Ford. I'd like to see this one just to see him do this role. Plus, Rachel McAdams is not only incredibly attractive, but also very talented, one of the few in the new crop of actresses of her age that actually is.

7. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Tangled (2010)

Tomatometer: 89 per cent

Average Rating: 7.6/10
    Reviews Counted: 80
    Fresh: 71 | Rotten: 9

"While far from Disney's greatest film, Tangled is a visually stunning, thoroughly entertaining addition to the studio's classic animated canon."

Audience: 84 per cent

liked it
    Average Rating: 4.1/5
    User Ratings: 18855

Movie Info

Genre: Animation, Kids & Family, Musical & Performing Arts, Comedy

Synopsis: "Walt Disney Pictures presents "Tangled," one of the most hilarious, hair-raising tales ever told. When the kingdom's most wanted-and most charming-bandit Flynn Rider (voice of Zachary Levi) hides out in a mysterious tower, he's taken hostage by Rapunzel (voice of Mandy Moore), a beautiful and feisty tower-bound teen with 70 feet of magical, golden hair. Flynn's curious captor, who's looking for her ticket out of the tower where she's been locked away for years, strikes a deal with the handsome thief and the unlikely duo sets off on an action-packed escapade, complete with a super-cop horse, an over-protective chameleon and a gruff gang of pub thugs. In theaters this holiday season in Disney Digital 3D(TM), "Tangled" is a story of adventure, heart, humor and hair-lots of hair. -- (C) Disney"

Rated: PG [See Full Rating] for brief mild violence

Running Time: 1 hr. 40 min.

In Theaters: Nov 24, 2010 Wide

Distributor:Walt Disney Pictures

Directed By: Nathan Greno , Byron Howard

Written By: Jacob Grimm, Wilhelm Grimm, Dan Fogelman
    Cast:
    Mandy Moore
    (Rapunzel)
    Zachary Levi
    (Flynn Rider)
    Donna Murphy
    (Mother Gothel)
    Ron Perlman
    (Stabbington Brother)
    Jeffrey Tambor
    (Big Nose Thug)
    Paul F. Tompkins
    (Short Thug)
    Brad Garrett
    (Hook Hand Thug)
    Richard Kiel
    (Vlad)

Poster: Witty

Trailer: Not seen it

Pro: the cast, the reviews

Con: "It's Disney!"

Verdict: The reviews seem very good, possibly at the theatre.

8. Klimt_Of_Tornesdal

Klimt_Of_Tornesdal Jedi Master star 3

Dec 8, 1999
    Hey, it's got Zach Levi in it, that's enough to get me along to see it. And after seeing the trailer on YouTube, I can't wait to see more of the horse. :p

9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Burlesque (2010)

Tomatometer: 32 per cent

Average Rating: 4.8/10
    Reviews Counted: 84
    Fresh: 27 | Rotten: 57

Campy and clichéd, Burlesque wastes its talented cast (including a better-than-expected Christina Aguilera) on a movie that wavers uncertainly between "bad" and "so bad it's good."

Audience: 82 per cent

liked it
    User Ratings: 14619

Movie Info

Genre: Drama, Romance, Musical & Performing Arts

Synopsis: "Ali (Christina Aguilera) is a small-town girl with a big voice who escapes hardship and an uncertain future to follow her dreams to LA. After stumbling upon The Burlesque Lounge, a majestic but ailing theater that is home to an inspired musical revue, Ali lands a job as a cocktail waitress from Tess (Cher), the club's proprietor and headliner. Burlesque's outrageous costumes and bold choreography enrapture the young ingenue, who vows to perform there one day. Soon enough, Ali builds a friendship with a featured dancer (Julianne Hough), finds an enemy in a troubled, jealous performer (Kristen Bell), and garners the affection of Jack (Cam Gigandet), a bartender and fellow musician. With the help of a sharp-witted stage manager (Stanley Tucci) and gender-bending host (Alan Cumming), Ali makes her way from the bar to the stage. Her spectacular voice restores The Burlesque Lounge to its former glory, though not before a charismatic entrepreneur (Eric Dane) arrives with an enticing proposal..."

Rated: PG-13 [See Full Rating] for sexual content including several suggestive dance routines, partial nudity, language and some thematic material

Running Time: 1 hr. 40 min.

In Theaters: Nov 24, 2010 Wide

Distributor: Productora Fílmica Real S.A.

Directed By: Steve Antin

Cast: Cher, Christina Aguilera, Stanley Tucci, Alan Cumming, Kristen Bell.

Poster: So-so

Trailer: Say what?

Pro: Some of the cast

Con: Wanna bet this is campy?

Verdict: TV on a slow night

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    So, basically, it's a minimally sexed-up Hallmark movie.

SKIP!

11. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I'm gonna have to watch this one at some point, purely because of Stanley Tucci and Kristen Bell. I don't think I'm in any rush to see it though.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Aguilera's a genuine talent. I stand by that. Also, it would hardly be painful to watch her do sexually suggestive dance routines. But then that's what the internet is for, I guess.

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    JWD alerted me to this stink bomb:

Nutcracker in 3D (2010)

Tomatometer

* All Critics
    * Top Critics

0 per cent (yes, you read it right)

Average Rating: 3/10
    Reviews Counted: 21
    Fresh: 0 | Rotten: 21

No consensus yet. (oh yes, there is)

Average Rating: 3.6/10
    Critic Reviews: 11
    Fresh: 0 | Rotten: 11

No consensus yet.

Audience: 37 per cent

liked it
    Average Rating: 2.6/5
    User Ratings: 1860

Movie Info

Genre: Action & Adventure, Kids & Family, Art House & International, Science Fiction & Fantasy

Synopsis: "1920s Vienna. Nine-year-old Mary lives in a home filled with lovely things and loneliness. Bothered by bratty brother Max and neglected by well intentioned, but distracted, parents, she yearns for companionship and adventure. On Christmas Eve, Mary's beloved Uncle Albert arrives with the gift of a wooden nutcracker doll. Later that night, Mary's imagination brings the doll to life. Introducing himself as "NC," he takes her on a wondrous journey through a stunning dimension where toys assume human form and everything appears ten times larger. But danger lurks. An army of toothy rat creatures, led by the flamboyant Rat King and his devious mother, has unleashed a plot to overthrow humanity. When NC is captured and placed under a paralytic spell, Mary, Max and a spirited band of toy sidekicks must rescue him from the Rat King's clutches and thwart his wicked plans to 'ratify' the world."

Rated: PG

Running Time: 1 hr. 50 min.

In Theaters: Nov 24, 2010 Limited

US Box Office:$87.5k (you are seriously kidding me)

Distributor:Freestyle Releasing

Directed By: Andrey Konchalovskiy

Cast: Hunyadi Aron, Pepe Balderrama, Fernanda Dorogi (can't lose with a cast like that!)

Poster: Dull

Trailer: Inexplicable

Pro: Nada

Con: Mucho

Verdict: Roger Ebert Explains It All to You. Don't Take Your Tots Unless They're Into Satires on Fascism

14. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    This guy used to be a collaborator of Tartovsky. Wow.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    He's got a great pedigree. But this looks absolutely dire. Dana Stevens over at Slate called it 'gnarled' and 'stunted,' which are not good adjectives for a kid's adaptation of The Nutcracker. Also, why is Albert Einstein celebrating Christmas? Isn't he, you know, Jewish?

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    He was an atheist, actually. Which still begs the question.

Next:

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010)

Tomatometer: 52 per cent

Average Rating: 5.9/10
    Reviews Counted: 102
    Fresh: 53 | Rotten: 49

"Its leisurely, businesslike pace won't win the franchise many new fans, but Voyage of the Dawn Treader restores some of the Narnia franchise's lost luster with strong performances and impressive special effects."

50: Average Rating: 6/10
    Critic Reviews: 24
    Fresh: 12 | Rotten: 12

Audience: 81 per cent

liked it
    User Ratings: 83180

Movie Info

Genre: Action & Adventure, Kids & Family, Science Fiction & Fantasy

Synopsis: "Lucy and Edmund Pevensie return to Narnia with their cousin Eustace where they meet up with Prince Caspian for a trip across the sea aboard the royal ship The Dawn Treader. Along the way they encounter dragons, dwarvf camps, and a band of lost warriors before reaching the edge of the world."

Rated: PG [See Full Rating] for some frightening images and sequences of fantasy action

Running Time: 1 hr. 52 min.

In Theaters: Dec 10, 2010 Wide

Distributor:20th Century Fox

Directed By: Michael Apted

Written By: C.S. Lewis, Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely

Cast: Ben Barnes, Georgie Henley, Skandar Keynes, Will Poulter, Liam Neeson, Simon Pegg, Tilda Swinton

Poster: Good

Trailer: Confusing

Pro: the cast

Con: if you haven't read the book, go figure

Verdict: Not my favorite of the books, except for Eustace, who I understand is well served by the movie...and the visuals are apparently great. Big difference in the critical and audience reactions, which suggests that this might well be successful.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I thought Dawn Treader was one of the best Narnia books when I read it, but it doesn't sound like this new version is meant to be as good as the others. The cast were pretty good in the other movies so I'm expecting them to do well with it (although this time it's only the youngsters). Never cared for the religious undertones of the stories (Aslan being Jesus and all that) but it's good fantasy stuff.

Unstoppable is OK, does what it says on the tin as a disaster movie. Good train stuff and Denzil Washington is reliable, but it's pretty generic.

I may watch Burlesque mainly because it won't cost me anything and I can drool over Christina. I care not if she can't act if she's in a movie that is basically about her taking a lot of clothing off.

18. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The title of Ebert's review of the film: "Keep it on! Keep it all on!" :p

19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I expext Aguilera to excell at the singing parts, but I'm not holding up much hope on the acting front :p

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Dawn Treader was rather dull (except maybe for one sequence that was done better Dead Man's Chest) and just really lacks any depth. Eustace was handled well, though. It's harmless for the kids, I suppose, but there's just not much there. A shame, because I thought Prince Caspian was a welcome improvement over the kinda-bland Wardrobe.

It just seems like these movies so often feel like they're missing 10-15 minutes of character development, like they're rushing through the major plot points just to get to the end, not caring about having a fully realized movie.

Dawn Treader just doesn't have much of a through-story to it, which makes things just feel random.

Also, if you make the Jesus-Lion to actually be Jesus, it's no longer allegory, ugh...

21. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I thought I was the only one who thought Prince Caspian was an improvement.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader is indeed dull, but it has one slight advantage - Michael Apted's sense for visuals is stronger than Andrew Adamson. But then that's mooted by the fact that it's shot digitally, and looks slightly awful.

This too. I had to stifle a laugh.

22. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I'll probably see this one. I liked the previous two, and I'll give it a chance, thought maybe at a matinee, or second run theater.

23. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    The Company Men (2010)

Tomatometer: 70 per cent

Average Rating: 7.1/10
    Reviews Counted: 27
    Fresh: 19 | Rotten: 8

No consensus yet.

Average Rating: 7.5/10
    Critic Reviews: 9
    Fresh: 7 | Rotten: 2

No consensus yet.

audience:68 per cent want to see

Want To See: 5080
    Not Interested: 2429

Genre: Drama

Synopsis: "Bobby Walker (Ben Affleck) is living the American dream: great job, beautiful family, shiny Porsche in the garage. When corporate downsizing leaves him and co-workers Phil Woodward (Chris Cooper) and Gene McClary (Tommy Lee Jones) jobless, the three men are forced to re-define their lives as men, husbands, and fathers.

Bobby soon finds himself enduring enthusiastic life coaching, a job building houses for his brother-in-law (Kevin Costner) which does not play to his executive skill set, and perhaps the realization that there is more to life than chasing the bigger, better deal. With humor, pathos, and keen observation, writer-director John Wells (the creator of "ER") introduces us to the new realities of American life. -- (C) Weinstein"

Rated: R [See Full Rating] for language and brief nudity

Running Time: 1 hr. 53 min.

In Theaters: Jan 21, 2011 Wide

Distributor:The Weinstein Company

Directed By: John Wells

Cast: Ben Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones, Maria Bello, Kevin Costner, Chris Cooper, Rosemary DeWitt, Craig T. Nelson, Eamonn Walker

Poster: Good

Trailer: Not Seen

Pro: That's a great cast

Con: First time director, whom I don't know

Verdict: Not sure yet

24. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Wasn't John Wells someone who worked a lot with Aaron Sorking on Sportsnight and West Wing? Sounds familier. Either way, haven't seen anything about this movie, (this is the first I've heard of it) and it sounds a lot like Jersey Girl.

25. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I assume it's a good script or the cast wouldn't have signed on.