main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Preview of Coming Attractions: 21 Jump Street

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Sep 4, 2005.

1. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    The only thing that's making me consider seeing this is Ebert's good review, and the fact that I work at a theater (free movies! haha!).

2. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    "Roll Bounce" just sounds...lame. As in really lame. And who the heck is Lil' Bow Wow? Sounds like a dog to me.

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    He's a hip hop artist, who started rapping when he was 12 or something like that. He was also in the movie Like Mike that came out a few years ago.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I just watched the trailer. It could be like Drumline and actually turn out to be a good movie or it could turn out to be like Bring it on and be really stupid. I'm going to wait and see what the reviews are like.

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Could they PLEASE stop making these movies. They fail at the BO and have such a limited fanbase. Durmline, You Got Served and now Roll Bounce all bombed. This latter one only made 8m opening weekend.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    They may fail at the box office but they make for good cable viewing. Just look at The Shawshank Redemption. As I recall it didn't do that well in theatres, but it plays on TV almost every week and its widely regarded as being a really good movie.

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Yes Shawshank bombed, due to limited released but it was a good movie. RB, YGS, DL movies suck and they still bomb.

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I thought Drumline was pretty good. I would agree that You Got Served was craptastic.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: "Into the Blue"

Release date: 30 September 2005

Starring: Jessica Alba's bikini; Paul Walker's abs; Scott Caan; Ashley Scott.

Directed by: John Stockwell (don't know him)

Plot: What the film's publicist says: "Into the Blue is a high-stakes thriller set in the deep, shark-infested waters of the Bahamas. When young divers discover the wreckage of a cargo plane at the bottom of the sea, they believe their dream of buried treasure has come true. What they don't realize is that millions of dollars of illegal goods are in that sunken plane and a group of dangerous criminals are already desperately searching for it. As tensions mount and the friends begin to fight about what to do with their find, others get closer to discovering their secret - and the treasure hunters quickly become the hunted."

What I say: Sounds a lot like a dumbed-down, prettified version of "Shallow Grave".

Trailer: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/into_the_blue/trailers.php
    Saw on TV; looks rather interesting; until you think about it.

Pros: Jessica Alba's bikini, and/or Paul Walker's abs, according to your taste;

Cons: Can you say 'derivative' boys and girls?

Verdict: DVD on a night when everything else is rented

10. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    [image=http://edge2.hotshed.com/images/691/691869_1_211_1.jpg]

^ The star of My Science Project. That's who John Stockwell is.

He directs now. He made Blue Crush, which I thought was weak. I did like his directorial debut, though, a little-seen 1987 movie called Under Cover.

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Edit: Directed by: John Stockwell (star of "My Science Project") (still don't know him)

12. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    How could you not be familiar with the cinema classic that is "My Science Proect"? :p I'm sure you've seen "Top Gun". He was Cougar in that. And one of the leads in John Carpenter's "Christine".

Anyway, "Into the Blue" really doesn't look all that interesting or entertaining, at all.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Luckily, a giant mist of oblivion has risen between my memory and "Top Gun" with the exception of that crappy theme song, which sticks in my brain like old chewing gum. A pox on Kenny Loggins. YMMV.

14. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Looks kinda like a meh, a rental.

15. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    My verdict: Crappity, crappity, crap.

16. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Jessica Alba in a bikini? I may have to catch this one at the dollar theatres.

17. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Could they PLEASE stop making these movies. They fail at the BO and have such a limited fanbase. Durmline, You Got Served and now Roll Bounce all bombed.

What about that recent masterwork entitled "Underclassman," featuring the ubiquitous Nick Cannon, co-star of the aforementioned "Roll Bounce" and "Drumline"? Actually, "Drumline" was an unexpected success when it was released a couple of years ago, surpassing the studio?s expectations and grossing in excess of $50 million ? which is to say that in actuality, the film did not fail at the box-office. Anyway, back to the topic at hand - Malcolm D. Lee, cousin to Spike, and director of such offerings as "Undercover Brother" and "The Best Man," is at the helm of "Roll Bounce," which I confess looks kind of interesting. I haven?t seen the picture yet (I chose to see "Flightplan" instead), but I may consider it at some point if there is little else that I am interested in playing at the cinema.

This latter one only made 8m opening weekend.

Do you know what the picture?s budget was?

He made Blue Crush, which I thought was weak.

I enjoyed "Blue Crush" to a certain extent, though it was hardly brilliant. The attractive cast, including Kate Bosworth (this was before an on-again/off-again romance with some guy named Orlando began to bloom), had a lot of chemistry, and the surfing sequences were very elaborate and well-orchestrated both compositionally and in terms of their scope. Outside of movies such as "Step Into Liquid" and "Riding Giants," both of which are documentaries, "Blue Crush" is one of the few fiction films to get the surfing milieu at least marginally accurate. Yes, the picture has it limitations, and it does pander to the teenage demographic, but it is at least more honest and perceptive than other such "teenage items" as "Tomcats," or "Can?t Hardly Wait." Regardless, it seems as though we can agree that director John Stockwell has an affinity for capturing good-looking young men and women in various stages of undress, something which makes him a perfect choice to direct "Into the Blue," a film which showcases the chiseled physiques of perennial hotties Paul Walker and Jessica Alba.

Jessica Alba in a bikini? I may have to catch this one at the dollar theatres.

Indeed. Depending on what opens next weekend, and the sort of reviews this picture gets, I may or may not decide to attend a weekend showing. We will see?

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Could they PLEASE stop making these movies. They fail at the BO and have such a limited fanbase. Durmline, You Got Served and now Roll Bounce all bombed.

What about that recent masterwork entitled "Underclassman," featuring the ubiquitous Nick Cannon, co-star of the aforementioned "Roll Bounce" and "Drumline"? Actually, "Drumline" was an unexpected success when it was released a couple of years ago, surpassing the studio?s expectations and grossing in excess of $50 million ? which is to say that in actuality, the film did not fail at the box-office. Anyway, back to the topic at hand - Malcolm D. Lee, cousin to Spike, and director of such offerings as "Undercover Brother" and "The Best Man," is at the helm of "Roll Bounce," which I confess looks kind of interesting. I haven?t seen the picture yet (I chose to see "Flightplan" instead), but I may consider it at some point if there is little else that I am interested in playing at the cinema.

I saw a reviwe for Roll Bounce on CNN.com and the reviewer actually liked it.So, its not one that I'll see in theatres, most likely but I have a feeling that it'll show up on cable quite a bit and when it does I'll probably end up watching it.

19. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    More movies need to feature Alba's ass.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    As I have said previously, if Alba's ta-tas make me go ga-ga then I'll be there. Otherwise not so much...

21. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I saw a preview for this when I saw The Island last month. Looked okay, but nothing special. Not terribly into either the abs or the bikini, so I'd only see it if there was something else good about it.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Alba's featured on the posters, in a bikini, with her mouth open. Subtle.

Next: "Mirrormask"

Opening: 30 September 2005

Starring: Stephanie Leonidas; Gina McKee; Jason Berry

Directed by: Dave McKean

Written by: Neil Gaiman

Reviews: Fascinating v. Overproduced

Trailer: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mirrormask/trailers.php
    The trailer is unusual in that it tells you nothing about the plot.

Plot: (according to the publicist): MirrorMask is the story of Helena, a fifteen year-old girl working for her family circus, who wishes - quite ironically - that she could run away from the circus and join real life. But such is not to be the case, as she finds herself on a strange journey into the Dark Lands, a fantastic landscape filled with giants, Monkeybirds and dangerous sphinxes. Helena searches for the Mirrormask, an object of enormous power that is her only hope of escaping the Dark Lands, waking the Queen of Light and returning home.

Pros: The trailer shows a movie that doesn't look like anything else I've seen recently: it looks fascinating. And, of course, the power name of Neil Gaiman.

Cons: Gaiman and the Henson Company seem like an odd fit. And the plot sounds a lot like "The Wizard of Oz", "Spirited Away", etc. etc.

Verdict: Not sure yet.

23. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    This trailer looks fantastic. I'd love to see it, if it comes to my area.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    The first thing that comes to my mind after watching that is Alice in Wonderland as interpreted by Dali.

25. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    MirrorMask has been at screenings since January, I think. I don't know how it will hold up as a film, but even on the sheer aesthetic basis of "Dave McKean illustration come to life" it's worth it. I also think Henson's trying to "recapture the magic" of Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal more than the other films mentioned here. . . I'll definitely be seeing it if it gets released in my area.