main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Price of Courage- AU- Obi-Wan/Whie/Luke Updated 4/20!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obi_ew, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Title: Price of Courage

Author: obi_ew

Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi and Whie Malreaux

Genre: AU

Summary: Padawan Whie survives the Purges and finds himself exiled to Tatooine with Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Notes: Curses to Shaindl for encouraging rabid bunnies and for finding the title. :)

And to the evil loons for egging the bunny on. You know who you are! :p

Will try to update once a week. :)

Summer 2005 Saga Winner of Best Drama Story and Best Canon Interpretation Male for Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Summer 2006 Saga Winner for Best Epic, Best Canon Interpretation Male for WhieMalreaux and Best Non-Human for R2D2

Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace.

By Amelia Earhart

[image=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/eitansowner/courage.jpg]

Coverart by Rhonderoo. [face_love]

Prologue

Silence. No longer was there the loud rapport of blaster fire, or muffled cries as the bolts hit their targets. The clone troopers' armored feet no longer scarred the once polished floors of the Jedi Temple. No longer was the air filled with the unmistakable hum of lightsabers being swung in self-defense. The silence was ten times worse than the cacophony of sounds that had preceded it.

The air was heavy, suffocating with the smell of carnage. For the boy huddled in a small alcove, it was also weighted with the pain and loss of his family and friends. He could almost taste their agony through the Force; the weight of it compounded the pain of his wounds. The tears had long ago dried, leaving dirty streaks down cheeks bleached of color. Small hands clutched the blackened wound in his stomach, doing what little they could to hold in vital organs.

One thought played over and over in Whie Malreaux?s head, beating mockingly in an attempt to drown out the sound of his labored breathing. The thought pressed at his temples as if trying to explode from his head. His dream had come true. But not in the manner he?d feared most. Far worse.

The ultimate betrayal hadn?t come from him, but rather the one they?d all looked to for hope. Their Chosen One had turned like a rabid canid on his Jedi family, slaughtering them with no remorse or concern for age or rank. Not even the younglings had escaped the Fallen One?s wrath. Even now, Whie could see their tiny bodies lying in lifeless piles on the floor before his hiding place.

Anakin Skywalker had taken them by surprise, leading his clone troops right up to the front entrance. Whie had had the misfortune of looking into the fallen Jedi?s eyes right before the blue blade plunged into his belly. The orbs had been empty of emotion, stagnant pools that burned like black oil. They?d watched with mild curiosity as Whie slowly crumpled to the ground next to Master Drallig, his life force draining from him.

It had been hours since Whie had watched the black robed figure turn and lead the troops out of the Temple, never once turning back to acknowledge the massacre he?d instigated. Weakened from his wound, Whie had somehow found the strength to drag himself toward the cramped crevice he now hid in. He knew he was dying. It was only a matter of time before he would join those who surrounded him in the Force.

But first he had one last task to perform.

Drawing on what little measure of strength he could muster, the boy forced his weakened body out of the hiding spot. Unable to stand, he began to drag himself toward the main entryway. Fingers turning white as they scrambled for purchase on a floor slick with blood and tears, the apprentice gritted his teeth in determination. He would not go silently. He would find someone with whom to share the horror of what he?d been witness to this day, so that Skywalker?s involvement would not go unnoticed.

Lungs burning from exertion, his arms shaking almost uncontrollably from bearing the brunt of his weight, Whie collapse

2. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Mwahahahaha! I live to encourage evil plot bunnies! :D

I loved this. Whie trying so hard to go on and then his little body failing... :_| So sad! But perhaps there's hope...?

Bail was so gentle and sweet. I think you need to do a story about him next. :D

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I LOVE Whie! I can't wait to see what comes next! Hooray! [:D]

4. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Yes, Whie is alive. Need more soon.

5. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    :( So sad. But wonderfully written of course. There's more, isn't there? Please? Can't wait to see where you're taking this. And I really want to see more of Bail. :D I'll be reading.

6. MY-T-Chewbacca

MY-T-Chewbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2004
    Whie is an amazing character and I know you'll be writing him with as much compassion and attention to detail as any EU writer, more probably! :D

Looking forward to the next post. I love the idea of Whie being with Obi-Wan! [face_love]

7. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Forcing open weighted eyes, Whie found an olive-skinned face staring down at him with grim sorrow. He knew that face from somewhere, had seen it on the HoloNet. Too tired to connect a name with the face, Whie?s eyes slowly slid shut once again. The cultured voice came to him as from a distance, the words giving him a small measure of hope.

KNEW it! I knew it! It's Bail! [face_love]

Poor Whie :_| having to witness it all... feel the pain and still the lingering aftermath in the Force.

Great job! Another story to add to my compiling lists! ;) [face_dancing] Yay! Whie lives!

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    OHhhhh, nice beginning. I loved how you tied in the movie and LoE with Whie's fate. Your descriptions just keep getting better and better and your characters are wonderful. I'm really looking forward to seeing where you go with this one.

9. Koori

Koori Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    YAY! oe is writing again! hehe

Wonderful beginning. I look forward to more.

10. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Yay for Bail and yay for Whie's determination. I agree that Bail was very sweet and compassionate. I am looking forward to joining in on this.

Hey if you call me an evil loon, I get to call you one also. 8-}

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Thanks alot.. as if I need more tears.

That was so descriptive and sad and torturous to read. I hope to keep track of this because as hurt as Whie is, he is still alive and I hope this continues.

12. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Wow, what a start! :eek:

I really liked Whie's character in YDR, so I'm delighted you're writing him. :D (No such luck for Scout? :_| )

Can't wait to see how this plays out. ;)

13. Jedi_Knight_Hunter

Jedi_Knight_Hunter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Loved it old lady! Can't wait for the next bit and I can't wait to see how his survival will change the galaxy.

14. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Oh WOW- I love it

15. Drakyndra

Drakyndra Jedi Master

Nov 4, 2004
    *delurks*

Whie! Alive! Sad! Bail! There! Temple!

Fic! Good! Me! Incoherant!

Obi-wan! Future!

Write! More!

16. DarthBrian82

DarthBrian82 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2005
    great story

17. Altaira

Altaira Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    Tense beginning, :eek: such sad descriptions of what happened around him, I have to feel for Whie already. The boy has strength, his struggle to try to tell someone what happened almost lost then Bail shows up. :D Yay! With your talent this will be good. :)

:( Missed out on Dark Rendezvous. I am sure you will inspire me to read it, I did look up Whie in my other recent travels. :p

18. Cypher18

Cypher18 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    Excelent. Eagerly awaiting more.Heres hoping it comes soon.

19. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    I read this yesterday and then neglected to review.

Excellent, as always, OE. I love Whie, and can't help wondering what horrific events you will put him and Obi-Wan through?

Splendid! =D=

sheleigh..leighleigh

20. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    What a powerful beginning. I envy your gift for description.

Is Bail going to figure significantly in this fic? I would consider it a bonus if he was.

21. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Upping so others won't miss out on this. :)

22. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Shaindl Stop with the story ideas! I honestly don?t have much of an interest in Bail. Never have. Not sure why. You write it. :p

VL I love Whie too. Don?t know what it is about him, but he grabbed my heart when I read Dark Rendezvous. [face_love]

Zara Valinor Welcome. I hated the thought of him dying in ROTS. :_|

Indra There is more and even a bit more Bail. :D

My-T-Chewbacca [face_blush] Thanks so much. I hope I can keep him as interesting as he was in the book. I too love the thought of he and Obi as a team. :)

Kyn Poor kid. I can only imagine what a horrible scene it was. I?m glad Lucas spared us the gory details. :_|

Diane Thanks. I?m still trying to improve those dang descriptions so I?m glad you approve. :)

Koori I know I know. Some retirement huh? :D

Noi I?ve been called much worse. ;)

Leona You hope his hurt continues or the fic? :D Sorry to make you cry. :(

Lex Wow! :eek: Never thought to see you here. Thanks for giving it a shot. I?m a bit nervous about doing justice to Whie. And you may get a peek back at Scout. I liked her too. :)

Birdy Old lady?! :mad:

PK Good! I like that reaction. [face_dancing]

Drakyndra [face_laugh] That?s the most original reply I?ve ever gotten. Love it! Thanks and hope to see more.

Darth Brian Thank you for taking time to read and reply. Means a lot. [face_blush]

Altaira You must read it! Wonderful book. Funny and sad all in one. I hope to see more of your Whie soon. [face_praying]

Cypher Thanks so much. More on its way. [face_batting]

Sheleigh Are you suggesting I torture my characters? Not me! [face_devil] Thanks for joining in and warm welcome back.

Opal Bail will pop in from time to time. Maybe. Possibly. [face_thinking]

Shaindl So sweet. [:D]

Thank you for the replies. I'm overwhelmed. [face_blush]

Chapter One

The sterile confines of the medical facility on Polis Massa were far from conducive to obtaining a peaceful frame of mind. Blindingly bright lights reflected off of the white walls and metal equipment. It was enough to give one a headache if they stared for too long. The smell of antiseptic and a host of other unimaginable odors hung sickeningly thick in the air.

Obi-Wan Kenobi was oblivious to his environment's inhospitable look. He stood unflinchingly straight and still, arms crossed over his chest. Once white tunics were now gray and riddled with scorch marks, wrinkled since they?d been worn for several consecutive days in a row. Dark circles lay beneath red-rimmed eyes as they stared unblinkingly through the observation window of the room before him.

As he watched the boy fight for life, his thoughts couldn?t help but wander to the door down the hall. Behind it, he knew, the babies were being tended to, the innocent beings blessedly oblivious to what was taking place one floor below as their mother's body was prepared for burial. It had taken the droid caregiver considerable time to pry the newborn Luke from Obi-Wan?s arms before scurrying off to tend to the little ones.

Whie?s still figure suddenly blurred as fresh tears once again flooded Obi-Wan?s eyes. The children were all that was left in the galaxy of Anakin and Padme. A legacy that would be forced to go unheralded, the twins split and sent to opposite sides of the galaxy. As he?d cradled the newborn babe in his arms, Obi-Wan couldn?t help but mourn all he?d lost this day. Never before, not even when Qui-Gon was killed, had he found it so difficult to release his pain to the Force.

A hand came to rest on his shoulder, bringing his grieving thoughts to an end. The look he turned toward his companion was one torn between relief and frustration at having the memories interrupted.

"You were supposed to be cleaning up and resting." Bail?s voice was gentle in its admonishment.

"I sto

23. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    It had taken the droid caregiver considerable time to pry the newborn Luke from Obi-Wan?s arms before scurrying off to tend to the little ones. That just seemed really sweet. I loved watching him hold Luke in the movie.

Never before, not even when Qui-Gon was killed, had he found it so difficult to release his pain to the Force. I know that Qui-Gon's death was hard, but I think he has a right to have a harder time dealing with losing the Order and his apprentice in the way he did.

The instant the words left his lips, Bail wished with every fiber of his being that he could take them back. The convulsive look of pain that flashed over Obi-Wan?s face came and went so quickly, Organa wondered if he had imagined it.

Yikes! Think before speaking Bail. Obi-Wan is well aware of what happened to Anakin. I have to wonder what is going through Bail's mind with Yoda and Obi-Wan. They've witnessed the destruction of their family, the betrayal of one of their own, and each almost lost their lives.

If it were me, I'd be in the fetal position in the corner, but Obi-Wan and Yoda persevere. It was probably good for Bail to get the momentary glimpse into Obi-Wan's inner turmoil.

24. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, I liked it. Especially when Bail reminded him of Anakin and what he had done. I was happy to see you giving Obi-Wan some emotion to the scene. Poor guy must be awash in it.

Great job. Looking forward to Whie waking up. He was one of my favorite characters in DR.

25. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Great job once more o_e! [face_love] gotta love Bail though too!

I feel for Obi :( it has to be so hard... we all know it was!

Loved how Bail came to the kid's defense (well so to speak... thinking of the boy's livelyhood) about saying he could live on Alderaan.

[face_love] Awww Obi being caring and helping Whie...yes it will be hard Obi cuz he knows Anakin was your Padawan at one time. How sad is that? :_|

Excellent work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.