main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

price of the death star ? and when did it start being built

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by effortless_skill, Jul 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. effortless_skill

effortless_skill Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    i dont know if this has been takd about before but ,we see in aotc that the plans for the death star were created some 20 yrs before a anh,does anyone know how long the death star took to be completed ,and who payed for it ?where did all this money come from to build a clone army and a space station the size of a planet ?was palps that rich?

2. Lord_DamzoraH

Lord_DamzoraH Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2003
    Funds would have come from places like the trade federation and other organisations that Sidious had got onside. Also at a later date many fo the systems that Dooku had rallied around would have been supplying huge amounts of funding as well as work forces one would imagine.

3. effortless_skill

Mar 27, 2003
    that was a lot of credits then

4. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    That and the Empire was a dictatorship that could easily come in and say "I want a million of your young men for consription and I want 50 million tons of processed steel. Comply, or my fleet will wreck havock on your planet."

5. effortless_skill

Mar 27, 2003
    but the empire was not formed yet i assume taht teh death star was being built shortly after aotc ,before teh purge

6. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    The Death Star begun construction about 5 years before ANH.

The plans of the Death Star were not yet finished, the planets went from Genosis to Coruscant where Palpatine approved them. They were then given to Bevel Lemelisk and other Maw scientists to finish the plans. One of the things they did was create a prototype Death Star one that had the basic shell, the engines and powersource necessary to use the laser.

Palpatine was the CO of the Old Republic so he could have easily used some of the Republic funds to begin construction of his army and fleet.

7. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    How are the US armed forces paid for? How are all armed forces paid for? They're all paid for through the taxation of the populous. The taxes from billions of galactic citizens into the coffers of the Republic/Galactic Empire would have paid for all the Death Stars (there were more than two), warships, walkers, fighters, bombers, weaponry and troops in the Gallactic Empire.

8. effortless_skill

Mar 27, 2003
    thanks venture

9. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Yes, to EV you listen. :)

Also, the plans in AotC were basically the prototype he spoke of. To think they had planned every room and hallway and garbage masher and pointless open chasm that you take a bridge across and tractor beam deactivator and low doorway by then, you fail to realize how long that would take. ;)

10. QJedi

QJedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2003
    I think the prototype didn't have an interior... or an exterior. From the picture (theres one here), it was just loadsa cirles vaguely forming a sphere. And a superlaser, and the reactor core.

The big chasms and empty spaces in any death star are the bits where the room/hallway/garbage-masher designers fell asleep on the job (of boredom)... then they had to catch up time. What would you do? :)

11. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Yeah, I've seen that before in my book, "Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels". But there were also two being constructed over Coruscant at the time of ROTJ. These were, in my opinion, the "real" Death Stars that the Empire were going to use as proper weapons. The "so called" Death Star II over Endor was merely intended as bait.

As for the Death Star's interior. I think the large ravines were intended to be for two reasons. Firstly, they circulate air around the battle station. Secondly, they act as natural forms of security (as Luke and Leia found out in ANH). What's the point in spending huge amounts of money and time on security devices and doors, when all they had to do was to add a deadly drop here and there!

12. The_living_force

The_living_force Jedi Grand Master star 1

Oct 8, 2002
    I read somewhere (I think it was on TOS) that Dooku is extremely wealthy and he paid for the clone army. Probably has something to do with why Sidious chose him as his new apprentice.
    Dont know 'bout the funding for the Death Star though.

13. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    You are welcome, Effortless.

Two Death Stars constructed above Coruscant? What source was that one from? I know about the Star Tours one, the Prototype and then the two seen in the movies.

I included the outer sphere because the crew had to survive onboard the ship. So some sections do have living quarters.

Oh and if someone had not yet guessed, that's all from the EU so take it as you will.

14. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    I got it from a Ralph McQuarrie painting (for ROTJ) of two Death Stars under construction over Coruscant

15. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Interesting, I'll have to hunt down that painting tonight. Thanks :)

16. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    After you said about searching for the painting of the two Death Stars, I went straight to my bedroom and hooked it out. It's in the book called, "The Art of Star Wars Galaxy Vol.2" and it's on page 20. It doesn't actually say that it was painted for ROTJ, but I read about the painting and why it was painted elsewhere.

17. EternalRogue

EternalRogue Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2003
    i'm pretty sure i remember reading in the novels that the Death Star almost broke the empire's bank at the time.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://galactic-voyage.com/images/SW%20Ships/Coruscant%20Death%20Stars.jpg]

The two-Death-Stars over Coruscant were conceptual paintings for earlier drafts of ROTJ. They are not incorporated into any in-universe source (at least not as Death Stars- the Illustrated Guide to the SW Universe may have identified them as some kind of non-Death Star orbital station, but I'm not positive about that) and thus, not canon.

There has only been the protoype, DS1, DS2, Star Tours DS and the two off-shoot stripped-down designs of the Tarkin and the Darksaber.

19. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    If they're not Death Stars, then what's that dish in the lower right hand corner? I know, it was for eating chop suey off of! [face_laugh]

But anything developed by Lucas Films is considered canon. I also read that GL had accepted the idea of two Death Stars being built at Coruscant, but they just weren't incorporated into the movies.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It seems that it should be the same amount of time for the construciton of the Death Star 2 as there was for the original Death Star. Therefore, assuming construciton began immediately after the destruction of the first (since there is no event in ESB that would seem like a trigger point), plot the time from the end of ANH to the beginning of ROTJ.

Based on what I know of the timeline, that's like what; four or five years max? Maybe as few as three?

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Death Star II wouldn't have taken nearly as long to build as Death Star I, since the Empire already knew what they were doing; no more trial and error.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> If they're not Death Stars, then what's that dish in the lower right hand corner?<<

I looked up the Coruscant entries in the IGTTSWU and that painting is indeed in there, however, they crop the image so that the dish is not visible (well, you can see the outter edge still, but not the whole thing, so it "could be anything").

The image identifies them as "giant-size habitation spheres".

Though, the entry is written by an Imperial propagandist who notes that they are entirely for "peacetime purposes". So that could be a joking half-reference to the possibility of them being Death Stars. However, it could be entirely truthful too and they could be just what he says they are.

Guess it depends on how much you trust an Imperial PR guy [face_batting]

23. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    T2Q: Yeah, it's sorta like Bagdhad Bob.

24. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    But anything developed by Lucas Films is considered canon. I also read that GL had accepted the idea of two Death Stars being built at Coruscant, but they just weren't incorporated into the movies.

while it is obvious from the conceptual art that they are indeed death stars, that in no way proof that there were 2 death stars being built above coruscant.

conceptual art is just that. conceptual.

there is also conceptual art of stormtroopers with light sabers. does that mean that they had them?

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, certain conceptual images have been brought into continuity- namely those used in the above-mentioned Illustrated Guide to the SW Universe, which were incorporated as actual depictions of locales in the SW universe by the in-universe characters who "wrote" the entries.

However, only those are canon, all other conceptual artwork- such as the saber-baring stormtroopers, is not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.