main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Priceless reaction from a new viewer watching Anakin becoming Darth Vader in ROTS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SW Saga Fan, Apr 23, 2017.

1. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Indeed, this is really priceless and refreshing. Quote from the description below the video:

2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    ah , it would be amazing to have seen it that way

3. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    I'm on phone but this is the kind of reaction I truly love to see.

I say, forget release order. The prequels have an over abundance of build up to not be seen chronologically .

The twist, the epics, the theater esque expressions...It's dangerously raw yet taste sweet as the honey. How could one deny this order, is understandable but a bit beyond me.

4. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I daresay her reaction mirrors a few of the more anakimated people we have posting on this forum. ;)

Andy Wylde, Tonyg and MarcJordan like this.
  5. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
  6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I only have one thing to say, really: I. Rest. My. Case.

7. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

It's all about that symmetry..

I notice that the kid is actually doing a pretty good impression of the Emperor's makeup in his traumatized reaction to Luke getting fried.

That's the Dark Side for ya. It doesn't really make people evil so much as melted-face sad.

Cute addition to the thread, Ingram_I. Thanks for that.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  8. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Cryogenic

Both of these clips together ...think of them as "electroshock" therapy for kids. The girl was obviously crushing on her teen heartthrob Anakin (perhaps adding some credibility to Lucas' sentiments about Hayden's James Dean qualities) whereas the younger boy's investment in Luke was proportionately more childlike. With the pop-cultured championing of all things Han Solo and, conversely, its well-known dismissal of the prequels, it's easy enough to overlook just how affecting these two respective protagonists are for younger uncultured audiences in general.

This Star Wars stuff—it actually works.

9. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm crushing on her. :p I think Hayden was actually picked, in part, based on Lucas' daughters' reactions. He took some heat for saying this (of course), but he once said how you get so far through the casting process, then you essentially arrive at an impasse and throw a dart and pick one. I can't find the AOTC quote, but he said it again in 2007 with regard to the OT cast:

"When you cast relative unknowns you see thousands of people. You see them for five minutes, they do readings, you tape them, then film tests, and you do it over and over again for years until you finally get to a point where you throw a dart at a dart board covered with 8-by-10s, and pick one. I got very lucky."
    https://www.wired.com/2007/05/gallery-swpremier/

BTW, random, but, there's a priceless Lucas joke in there:

"The filmmaking process is naturally very sloppy. People assume that making a movie is very precise, that you lay it all out. It doesn't work that way. You're constantly reworking everything over and over and over again trying to make it right. There's lots of different avenues, lots of ways of working with things. I continue to look at it that way. In fact, there was a couple of things I saw in there [in a 30th Anniversary rescreening of ANH] tonight that I could...." Before finishing his sentence with the expected "do better," Lucas pulled rerecording mixer Ray West by the arm. "It's a joke, people!" Lucas said.

[face_hypnotized] [face_hypnotized]

The man can actually laugh at his own tendencies, people.

Although, he really did revise the film again for its 2011 Blu-ray release. [face_laugh]

But yeah, I suppose it is a kind of "electroshock"/Force lightning therapy. There's only one first time for anything; unless you have some particularly good electroshock therapy. :p

Indeed. Although both are caught off-guard by the intensity of Palpatine's villainy (from a certain point of view), watching their hero-avatars fall to some kind of dire happening and look utterly helpless in the process. Evil cannot win!!!!

Right. It's largely a generational thing. The chewing-gum heroism of the OT was simply lauded to excess by jaded Baby Boomers and Gen X-ers, and even Gen Y-ers, for thirty-odd years. But now Generation Z is here and it's ready to kick some bantha behind.

This... isn't how it's supposed to be!

[​IMG]

10. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Exactly.

Andy Wylde and Cryogenic like this.
  11. SavedByChristAlone

SavedByChristAlone Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2017
    'Is Princess Leia wearing a wig?' lol

Cryogenic likes this.
  12. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I considerall reaction videos to be bogus. Unless someones reaction to something has been accidentally recorded.

Darth__Lobot and JoshieHewls like this.
  13. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I HATE the new trend of reaction videos. Particularly reaction videos to trailers. If I spoke throughout entire trailers to indicate my excitement/childhood-relived-joy, I wouldn't actually be enjoying the trailer.

14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    George Lucas called me (on the phone) and gushed about this video for 30 minutes. I agreed with him that it was a neat reaction.

Cryogenic and Martoto77 like this.
  15. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    These types normally are pretty genuine and don't rely on "professional" tactics to make a reaction video or gain an audience.

Cryogenic likes this.
  16. SmallTatooineSun

SmallTatooineSun Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2016
    My Mom was visiting in January. She had only ever seen Star Wars and Rogue One. She had no idea Luke and Leia were twins and didn't know that Darth Vader was Anakin Skywalker. We only had time to watch one movie, so my daughter picked ROTS. It was so funny watching someone's reaction who had no idea about this stuff. For the record, she liked HC as Anakin and thought he did a good job transforming into Vader.

I couldn't believe that I found someone who didn't know the major plot points but didn't have time to get them to watch them all in chronological order! I also can't believe my Mom didn't know, since me and my brother have been SW fans since the late 70s/ early 80s.

Tonyg, Cryogenic and SW Saga Fan like this.
  17. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

The everything-is-fake/conspiratorial line of "reasoning"; even when it involves a young child becoming rather visibly upset. Not that those with a thing against the PT are cynical/distrusting of other people's reactions and opinions or anything.

18. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I haven't made any "reasoning" of any sort. Or offered cynicism about people's opinions either.

But if imposing a strawman makes you feel better about me not having kittens over this video, knock yourself out.

I am however quite cynical about the supposed spontaneity of videos that people post of themselves on youtube.

If you point a camera at somebody, expect them to perform.

19. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015

Though my sense of judgement is to trust this "emotionally" dubious act of "surprise". Acts a bit "too" realistic to a teenage girl with a shock(mannerisms, social psychology analysis blah blah it's could be fake). I live with 6 other girls in my house so hearing her pretty much is the equivalent of my younger sister's reaction. Vocabulary and all...Even sentences and how they are conveyed..

However, I do agree that I tend to deny most reactions on many accounts. With such an over emphasis on them in the inter web, I can't help but second guess sometimes.

Cryogenic likes this.
  20. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    That's why I put "reasoning" in quotation marks. You made a sweeping remark and posted a shallow/simplistic criterion as to what might constitute an exception.

Not a strawman; or, at least, not that big of a strawman outwardly imposed, in my opinion.

Of course, that has some truth to it; and I can be plenty cynical, too. I remain skeptical of most things. Yes, people perform when a camera is trained upon them and they are aware of it, but that doesn't make every aspect -- whether set up in advance or caught impromptu -- false or fake, per se. Especially not a young kid, who is probably lost in the moment and more drawn into the experience of the film than he is conscious of being recorded. His upset over Luke getting fried looks pretty genuine to me. And I think the girl's reaction to Anakin turning is pretty raw and genuine, too. But that's just my opinion.

Andy Wylde and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  21. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016

The "sweeping remark" is my opinion of reaction videos in general. But you've applied cynicism of the authenticity of people's opinions to my words which I have not intended or invoked.

Then I've given you a reason for my opinion on reaction videos which supports my first statement about accidental or secretly filmed reactions, which is a genuine concession to people whose reactions are clearly not induced by any other factor, and called it shallow.

If a video of a little girl's reaction does not receive the response you'd like because of my opinion of reaction videos in general then.. [​IMG] Life is hard.

You're defense of the little girl is admirable. But it is misplaced and unwarranted.

22. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Maybe you didn't intend such a thing; but a sweeping negative remark is all you offered. Such things tend to be a little toxic to a discussion thread; especially ones attempting to cultivate a positive mindset toward something that is frequently maligned and dismissed (even on its own forum).

It is entirely shallow and simplistic to assert -- in my opinion -- that filmed situations, if people know they are being filmed, are all "bogus". Your subsequent concession, as I read it, was merely an attempt to prop up the former with a limp, unpersuasive (and ultimately facile) corollary.

Yes, conjure a lame epithet ("little girl") and deploy it twice in quick succession. The girl may be lithe and young, but she isn't exactly "little".

And well done at bringing yet more invidious strawmen into the thread. I was never "defending" a little girl; nor do I particularly care if someone thinks differently.

The manner in which someone mounts an opposing view, however, does tend to reveal something about their character, in my opinion.

23. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Ahem...

So you've invoked the notions of fakery and conspiracy, then disowned themit when it's pointed out that nobody has alleged or even "reasoned" these things.

Now you're splitting hairs between little girl and young child in order to reduce the latter to an "epithet".

But none of those contradictions matter because you claim that are really objecting to my "manner".

Ok then.

Woah there, pilgrim! Read this. Here's the quote from which you've determined my "manner" and then commandeered the thread in order to object to it. It's only a little sentence but it's purely your will to go to these lengths to describe its supposed "toxicity", which only you seem to be concerned. I guess two other members are endorsing its toxicity too.

First of all, it's not an assertion. It's my opinion. My position Since the overwhelming majority of reaction videos are not spontaneous, accidental or secret then I'm not being shallow to consider the reaction video craze in this light.

The minuscule amount o genuine reactions supposedly captured without influencing them that I imagine are out there will just have to be a casualty and not expect receive too much fuss over them from me. For anyone chagrined at me not endorsing their reaction to a reaction video [​IMG] .

24. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    But people don't actually do that in reaction videos. They are watching a video, they aren't talking about what they are seeing. At best they will talk about some things right afterwards, which clearly isn't the same.
    There is nothing bogus or fake about these kind of videos, at least not for the absolute majority of them.

Beyond that, just because you have a very specific way of dealing with something you see doesn't mean that it is the correct one that everyone else has to adhere to. People are different, and everyone has his own view of dealing with things he experiences.

Cryogenic likes this.
  25. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

*sigh*

Just to clarify one thing:

The young child being visibly upset was in reference to the young, prepubescent boy in the "ROTJ" video posted by Ingram_I.

The young teenage girl is obviously still, well, young, and by some definitions, a child, perhaps; but I think it should be clear based on former posts that I was only referring to the boy as a young child.

You don't read people's post closely enough and seem to enjoy steaming by with curiously misread and misinterpreted distortions of what they actually said or meant or were making reference to.

I'm really not going to bother beyond this point arguing anything back. You know you're a prequel basher (a clone of a million others) and you know it takes no effort to be cynical or negative; so why transcend your base dismissiveness in any way?