main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Priceless reaction from a new viewer watching Anakin becoming Darth Vader in ROTS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SW Saga Fan, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Yes. Going off on the wrong foot and then walking round in circles to try and maintain the illusion that it was the right one can be tiresome. I am glad you've declared that you intend to just stop.

But in the meantime.

Where in the text of our converstaion below am I supposed to "read" the part about a return of the jedi video?

If you could highlight or embolden it that would be helpful.

I've looked at all three parts of it again very, very closely and there's nothing about Return Of The Jedi or a boy to be read in your replies to my reply to the OP and Quantum MIDI's reply to me.

It sometime doesn't take much effort to appear cynical. You seem to have spent quite a lot of effort imposing "toxicity" on this thread though, when it really wasn't necessary to start to try.

2. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    This is awesome, but I am a bit confused here. If she already knew that Vader was Luke Skywalker's father, then how would she not be able to put two and two together and figure out beforehand that Darth Vader's real name at some point was Skywalker? Then when she started watching TPM, when we meet Anakin Skywalker...wouldn't she know right there that this must be Darth Vader before he became Vader?????

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

wobbits and Martoto77 like this.
  3. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013

Actually, the TFA reaction videos and Rogue One reaction videos I viewed did exactly as I described. The reactions were completely unnatural and done for narcissistic "Look at me turn into an 8 year old kid again and practically cry during a movie trailer" reasons.

If you think these are genuine reactions, more power to ya. But I can't help but find them bogus after close to 30 years of movie going and knowing not only my own reactions to movie trailers, but experiencing the reactions of others.

4. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I think you're respectively overestimating and underestimating two things about human cognition and psychology:

1) People's ability to recall or keep track of details accurately and competently and appropriately integrate them into a coherent working model.

2) The degree to which a person's attachment to, or affinity for, a particular character, and a set of unconscious assumptions going in, can blind them to the eventual path that character winds up taking.

A third thing at work here, undergirding the second point in particular, is that the prequels themselves do something exceptionally unusual in having a good (if flawed) character, built up over two-and-a-half movies, suddenly turn bad; outright falling to their knees and pledging to do evil.

I think the video rather viscerally conveys these notions quite well. The girl may have seen some bad-boy darkness in Anakin, but she wasn't expecting him to come under Palpatine's spell like that; because she hadn't yet reckoned with the true nature of his fall (again, given a rather literal inflection in the pledge scene, since he actually sinks to his knees in mortal confusion and despair).

I kind of agree with you on the sort of baked-in narcissism inherent to trailer reaction videos. Most people, in those elaborate "like button" recordings, are simply engaging -- in my opinion -- in an overly-emotional tribal dance; sort of the equivalent, perhaps, of sharing cat videos on Facebook.

Which is not to say that looser, more ad-hoc recordings don't also have their degree of reaction-faking (or over-expressing) going on. But I don't think it's anywhere near as severe, on the whole, as in trailer reaction videos; which strike me (as above) as a slightly different beast.

In any case, here is one of RedLetterMedia's better moments (though a bit rude), satirizing the over-the-top reaction many seem to have when recording themselves watching something as overly (or overtly) commercial as a Disney/Star Wars movie trailer:

Andy Wylde and JoshieHewls like this.
  5. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    maybe she'd heard of Vader but was watching the prequels before the OT

SW Saga Fan and Cryogenic like this.
  6. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

That's more or less what the description says:

(From SW Saga Fan's opening post)

As pretty much everyone knows...the line "I am your father" has become a staple of American cinema. I recorded this reaction for someone who had never seen any Star Wars movies but knew the line and realized that Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father. That is why we started with the prequel trilogy first rather than watching the movies in release order.

7. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    I have this reaction every time I get to this scene.

8. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

How dare you!!!!

I won't ask if you also watch sitting on the floor in tight black pants. :p

9. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

The description was below the video on the Youtube page.

Cryogenic likes this.
  10. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    I found a similar reaction video for the Vader scene at the end of "Rogue One":

I've disparaged the end scene, but I've no more reason to doubt the credibility of this video than the earlier ones posted for the PT and OT in this thread.

As people underneath the video note, her reaction is full of passion; and one of her screams is even in sync with the last note of the music.

The film seems to have given her a memorable experience and her surprise and astonishment are palpable.

Again, I don't see it as any less authentic than the former videos posted here. Nice to see.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Her reaction was... maybe a little too much...

But at the same time I will concede that I was also clinging to my cinema seat the first time I saw this scene of the "walking death" with Vader at the end of Rogue One. :)

12. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

And she has yet to see ROTS...Don't want to be there with her crying out loud...

Andy Wylde, SW Saga Fan and Cryogenic like this.
  13. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

I'm biased, maybe...

She's gorgeous. [face_love]

Order 66 will cause a tsunami.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    All those "reactions" are so fake. Frankly, I'm having a hard time believing anything at all on YouTube. That last video is the most fake of them all. I have never in my life seen anyone react in such an exaggerated way to a movie. But with YouTube of course you get used to such characters. That little kid in the beginning was OK though.

15. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Fair enough. Such ecstasy is a little hard to countenance -- I'll give you that.

I think most people feel rapture in a quieter, more internal way.

But we do also live in an "over-reaction" culture, so who knows...

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    True. And this over-reacting is increased even more with the dumb internet where nowadays everyone takes selfies everywhere doing anything at any time. I mean I like the internet (sometimes), it's useful in so many ways, but it also encourages absolutely every kind of stupidity possibly imaginable. Really, is there anything left at all that people can do to themselves or others that we can't see on YouTube?:rolleyes:

17. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    I agree with you that the internet, especially with the rise of social medias and applications as facebook, instagram, youtube, snapchat, selfies, etc... during the last decade as somewhat created a culture of over-exaggeration and that focuses on appearances. On my part, since I've always been a very calm, reserved and sometimes a shy person since childhood, I somehow don't really take part in this culture. So I can somehow relate to people who say that things we see on the internet are "superficial", which is very often true.

Here's a rather very interesting article I've read a couple of months ago regarding that subject: http://www.highsnobiety.com/2017/03/14/social-media-narcissism/

18. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Amazing video!

Cryogenic likes this.
  19. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Well, there's some stuff you can only see on other 'Tube sites. [face_mischief]

20. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    It's not only narcissism and whoring out for attention, it's also for actual monetary gain. A lot of the videos I've seen have a disclaimer in the description like this one does. One of the most annoying ones, in my opinion. I especially hate the ones where either parents exploit their children for "cuteness" points or a boyfriend or other family member exploits a young attractive girl for "hotness" points. In the description it not-so-humbly reads:

To use this video in a commercial player or in broadcasts, please email licensing@storyful.com

They are actually so up their own arse that they believe a professionally made production would like to not only use, but pay them for their embarrassingly awful video... 8-}

Edit: I clearly disagree with the master himself (Cryogenic ^:)^ ) on this one. I hope that's alright. I'm still a big fan. :D

Andy Wylde likes this.