main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pricing

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by bobaandy123, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobaandy123

bobaandy123 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 21, 2005
    I had some interest from a colleague who wanted me to shoot a short (2-4 minute) project of his. Basiclly, id be doing everything execpt acting, including assistiant directing.

My question is how to price it, do you guys charge some sort of hourly thing, or is it one flat fee? And how much is an acceptable price?

2. Darth_Abdax

Darth_Abdax Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 12, 2005
    A flat fee would work best. Basically charge whatever you think you're worth, and whatever he thinks he can pay. Be sure though to take into account how much actual work you will be doing. Sometimes it's good to say to yourself "Ok, this job will take close to 20 hours of my time, and I'd like to make $15 an hour." So then tell your friend you'd like $300 for the whole shebang.

3. jedistan

jedistan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    I think that's excellent advice. I helped a friend with a similar type of job estimate, the one thing you should account for is if this will be under the table or not. I'm not suggesting skirting the IRS at all, but I imagine this is different than say when you would shoot your cousins wedding and they give you some money. If you're going to be reporting this as income, it's probably best to do your estimate and then double it because the Tax-man's going to take quite a bit. Perhaps those who do alot of freelance could chime in on that and how they handle it.

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Speaking as a freelancer re: taxes, it sounds complicated, but it's not.

At my level of income, if I am paid on a W2 (i.e. no self-employment tax), I can expect, oh, 25% of my check to go to the taxman when all is said and done; this is based on many different things I pay taxes on, not just paychecks. At any rate this is just an illustration.

Self-employment tax is effectively 14.1%, so if I am given $100 as a freelancer, I know to keep only 60% and set aside 40% of it (25+14.1, rounded up for convenience and safety) for taxes.

Now. Let's say someone comes to me and offers me a job that I'd charge $100 for were I to be on a W2. That would mean about $75 posttax profit. But if he were offering me the job as a freelancer, I'd charge $125 to make up for the self-employment tax (60% of $125 = $75). If he pays me under the table, I might charge $75 flat.

Those are obviously simplified numbers and don't take into account other factors for why you might change your rate. I'm just showing you how I handle things for this tax discussion. :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Very good info, part of good business when freelancing is paying (rimshot) careful attention to taxes and marking up slightly when needed. Don't lose food money when you can cover yourself with a slight increase if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.